Florida Gardener
03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
What is your best account?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Bahia lawn that another LS member gave me two years ago after/as they retired because I guess he liked me. I stop mowing the lawn early to mid October and will mow it for the first time again this year next week but have collected checks from the lady.....picked up her neighbor this year too for just the front lawn with no trimming or edging. Takes a extra 2 minutes of mowing maybe. Total for these two accounts is $150 a month. In the heat of the summer they both take me and a helper less than 12 minutes form dropping the gate to pulling off and they are between two existing customers properties so we were driving by them anyway.

By the way if any other LS members are retiring and want to give me accounts I am more than happy to take them :):)

jvanvliet
03-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

My best account is the one who pays on time, and accepts my suggestions to maintain his property without debating or whining about cost.

Ric
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
My best account is the one who pays on time, and accepts my suggestions to maintain his property without debating or whining about cost.

Yep, I don't have one best customer, All My customers are BEST or they aren't my customer very long.

But, like everyone I have that one super sweet deal I wish I had more of.

tillerstick
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
From a supplier point of view. A good customer is one who is not afraid to ask a question. A great one will actually listen to the answer and not argue and cry if it is no the answer that they want to hear. Also it is great when they understand that it is not the cost per bag/bottle, it is the cost per thousand square ft. Calibrated equipment is always a plus. I really can't tell you how much to put in your tank if you have no idea how many gallons per thousand you are spraying...sorry.

To you guys, what makes a great supplier?

tillerstick
03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
In addition...great customers do pay as well. I love my customers that use their credit/debit cards. They are instant payment and I know I won't have to chase them.

greendoctor
03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
From a supplier point of view. A good customer is one who is not afraid to ask a question. A great one will actually listen to the answer and not argue and cry if it is no the answer that they want to hear. Also it is great when they understand that it is not the cost per bag/bottle, it is the cost per thousand square ft. Calibrated equipment is always a plus. I really can't tell you how much to put in your tank if you have no idea how many gallons per thousand you are spraying...sorry.

To you guys, what makes a great supplier?

A great supplier does not try to sell me what is trendy or popular. He keeps in his inventory what works. Locally, I am known as the LCO that uses odd or less common products, or products that are normally only used by Ag/nursery. I would probably be your dream customer, because I order all of the expensive stuff. I also apply those products correctly as well. It is not applied per gallon, it is applied per acre or 1000 sq ft through precision equipment. I have two suppliers in my area that fit my needs. The other one is the total opposite of what I need in a supplier.

Tri-City Outdoors
03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I say it is the several small apartments I maintain. Get paid the same amount all year. only mow every two weeks. Trim the hedge maybe twice in a year, Only blow leaves in the Florida fall. (this time of year).
CON:These property's are terrible. Dry dirty dust bombs. Leaving my nose full of gunk every service.
Pro: For the size most would do it for more $. However really don't do much. Dollar for dollar they probably pay the best.

Tri-City Outdoors
03-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm coughing and blowing my nose. Just from posting about the property's :-)

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:07 PM
My best client currently pays me about $15,000 a month and they pay on time. But my longest running client pays me $5,000 a month, but they have sent me a LOT of business over the years!!

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 05:15 PM
My best client currently pays me about $15,000 a month and they pay on time. But my longest running client pays me $5,000 a month, but they have sent me a LOT of business over the years!!

Are these commercial property's?
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes. I do mainly commercial work. My best residential property pays me $2,200 a month.

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes. I do mainly commercial work. My best residential property pays me $2,200 a month.

Where are you located?
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
03-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Bless their hearts :angel:

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:32 PM
East Texas. You?

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:34 PM
:hammerhead:Oops, I didn't realize that I was in the Florida Lawn Care Forum.

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 05:35 PM
:hammerhead:Oops, I didn't realize that I was in the Florida Lawn Care Forum.

Haha it's all good. I'm in south Florida. Texas has a lot of the same turf varieties as Florida....for $2200 month, how big a property? Does that include extras?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tri-City Outdoors
03-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Wow, $26,400 per year for a resi. I herd of it but man the HO must really have some $.

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
It's about an acre. We do full service on it, including sprinkler checks. But annuals and mulch is extra. They are big oil people. It's their weekend house. I've only seen them like 1 time in the past year!
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:53 PM
We did a full overhaul on the flowerbeds about 3 years ago. She just told me to do it an send her a bill. It was about $16,000. It was a nice, 3 days of work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 05:56 PM
It's about an acre. We do full service on it, including sprinkler checks. But annuals and mulch is extra. They are big oil people. It's their weekend house. I've only seen them like 1 time in the past year!
Posted via Mobile Device

My highest resi is 1,750/mo. It's under an acre with little grass and mostly plants. I'm bidding on another resi right now that is $1690/mo. We have a lot of these kind of properties around here. Sounds like commercial work in your area pays very well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Around here, commercial work is where it's at!
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Around here, commercial work is where it's at!
Posted via Mobile Device

Complete opposite here IMO. It is very lowball and cutthroat. HOA is even worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 06:10 PM
How big of crews do y'all run? I run 2 & 3 man crews. How much can a 2 man crew gross a year?
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 06:15 PM
How big of crews do y'all run? I run 2 & 3 man crews. How much can a 2 man crew gross a year?
Posted via Mobile Device

Right now it's me and 1 employee. Depending on properties, a 2 man crew should easily gross 120k/year when you factor in extras.
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I try to hit about $150k per yr for my 2 man crews and $200k+ for my 3 man crews.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
I try to hit about $150k per yr for my 2 man crews and $200k+ for my 3 man crews.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, 150k is a good number IMO. The key is the extras.
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I agree
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
My favorites are mulch jobs. Quick easy money!! I have a couple of jobs that pay about $3,500 for a mulch job that takes me about 10 man hours and about $600 in material.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I agree
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why the high-end resi's are so good. Lots of landscape renovations, mulch, flowers, fertilizer, tree work, etc. I have one resi on an acre that I've been maintaining for 1.5 years and have done around 4-k in extras, just mulch and tree work mainly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Right now it's me and 1 employee. Depending on properties, a 2 man crew should easily gross 120k/year when you factor in extras.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would say this could be slightly higher for a two man crew that has been up and going for awhile when inlcuding the extras. One should easily be able to run into the $110 to $115K gross range with two men on the route alone.
Throw in some mulch jobs and sod and shrub fert and pest and you are sitting well into the $150/$160 range. I am not saying that the noobie on the block is going to do this offering $65 a month service, but I do not feel with a couple of years in the game these numbers are not out of line for anyone who has any business sense about them.

Landscape Poet
03-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I would say this could be slightly higher for a two man crew that has been up and going for awhile when inlcuding the extras. One should easily be able to run into the $110 to $115K gross range with two men on the route alone.
Throw in some mulch jobs and sod and shrub fert and pest and you are sitting well into the $150/$160 range. I am not saying that the noobie on the block is going to do this offering $65 a month service, but I do not feel with a couple of years in the game these numbers are not out of line for anyone who has any business sense about them.

And with all that said what separates the men from the boys is the net of course! payup Does not what you gross if you can not control the P and L as you will simply be a lawn turd! :laugh:

Florida Gardener
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM

I totally agree mike. I'm currently grossing $86,580/year on 23 accounts. That is just base maintenance. I do fert for about 8-10 of those accounts. I also have a few customers that have me do work 2-3 times per year, and ive also done 2-4 installs year plus all the other extras. I'm def not at full capacity either. So, I agree your numbers are right on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I totally agree mike. I'm currently grossing $86,580/year on 23 accounts. That is just base maintenance. I do fert for about 8-10 of those accounts. I also have a few customers that have me do work 2-3 times per year, and ive also done 2-4 installs year plus all the other extras. I'm def not at full capacity either. So, I agree your numbers are right on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just keep a eye on your net Diamond and you will be alright. Your numbers are good IMHO based off the number of accounts that you have. The gross can grow as high as you want it but it is maintaining the net that gets a little harder with every account because your expenses do nothing but climb. Still I am not sure about others but I think your gross looks overall good for you as this is what your third or going into your fourth year?

Florida Gardener
03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Just keep a eye on your net Diamond and you will be alright. Your numbers are good IMHO based off the number of accounts that you have. The gross can grow as high as you want it but it is maintaining the net that gets a little harder with every account because your expenses do nothing but climb. Still I am not sure about others but I think your gross looks overall good for you as this is what your third or going into your fourth year?
Yea, I've been in biz for 3.5 years, so I'm in my fourth. Also, the past 3 years I have purchased a lot of equipment as well. Expenses do go up but only to a point. Like you, I'm trying to pick up more biz where I am already at. So drive time doesn't get affected, and the only variable costs that go up are fuel directly related to the property and labor. Your fixed expenses cost you less the more you take in(again, to a certain level. If you add another crew, you need more insurance and what not). I don't know if I will ever add on a second crew though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Diamond, If you only work with 1 crew, you limit how much you can make. I have 4 crews and they each make $150k+. I personally make $10k a month. It's more of a headache to add crews, but the benefit can be great!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Day off?
03-09-2012, 08:27 PM
My best customer started out as $200 per month. His house was a dump when he first hired me. He wanted a few plants installed at first... That turned into just shy of $500,000 of landscape installation. He now pays $500 per month and he usually pays with cash!

Florida Gardener
03-09-2012, 10:20 PM
My best customer started out as $200 per month. His house was a dump when he first hired me. He wanted a few plants installed at first... That turned into just shy of $500,000 of landscape installation. He now pays $500 per month and he usually pays with cash!

I find that hard to believe. 500-K in landscape should be a couple grand per month at least.
Posted via Mobile Device

Day off?
03-09-2012, 11:53 PM
By landscape install I meant... Koi pond, rainwater collection system, paver driveway, pavers around pool, 2 dry river beds, flagstone patio, retaining wall, 5 semi trucks fully loaded from Palmco, lighting, micro irrigation, lots of boulders and more. Most of the actual plant material is low maintenance. I only trim the dead or yellow branches from the palms. weeding and fertilizer is charged separately.

Florida Gardener
03-09-2012, 11:57 PM
By landscape install I meant... Koi pond, rainwater collection system, paver driveway, pavers around pool, 2 dry river beds, flagstone patio, retaining wall, 5 semi trucks fully loaded from Palmco, lighting, micro irrigation, lots of boulders and more. Most of the actual plant material is low maintenance. I only trim the dead or yellow branches from the palms. weeding and fertilizer is charged separately.

Gotchya-that makes more sense.
Posted via Mobile Device