PDA

View Full Version : desiel trucks vs. gas trucks

sirsweatsalot
12-04-2002, 06:01 PM
just wondering who here runs desiel and who runs gas and the reasons for doing so.
thanks

MacLawnCo
12-04-2002, 06:08 PM
If i remember correctly, Brickman runs a Dodge gasser:confused: :D :D

odin
12-04-2002, 06:33 PM
maclawnco

That pic of lawn choupique on you avatar drives me crazy, man thats a goofy looking sucker:D :D :D :laugh:

MacLawnCo
12-04-2002, 06:36 PM
I could not stop laughing either the first few times i saw it.

I noticed that in your avitar your wife looks different. I cant quite place what is different, could it be the hair style?;) (just teasing)

odin
12-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Sometimes she's just like that rottweiler mean as hell :D :D :D

odin
12-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Back to the subject gas is cheaper up from but in the long it pays to get a diesel.They last longer less maintainence and they have a much longer life.
Milage is much better on a diesel.The duramax we have for work gets better mileage even when pulling a load then our big block gassers get empty.
My dad gets over 20 mile to a gallon hauling a huge *** boat around all over the place.

Dennis E.
12-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Ford PSD...2K F-350.
MPG's with mine vs. the F-150 I had with the 4.6 Triton is like night and day. Towing with the 150,lucky to see 8-10 per. gal.
With the PSD towing or not the mpg. checks have been between 17.4 and the best @ 18.64.
Maintenance is an issue with diesels but it's not too tough.(i.e.-fuel filter,keeping the air filter clean,cavitation additive in the cooling system,etc.)

Insurance for me is about the same. Commercial coverage was almost the same on the 150. Fuel costs are less over a years time.

Weight is an issue for me also. I wanted a heavier truck. The one ton does the job and then some.

I'll take the diesel over a gasser anytime.
:D

bubble boy
12-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by odin00
maclawnco

That pic of lawn choupique on you avatar drives me crazy, man thats a goofy looking sucker:D :D :D :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

odin i'll have you know i have to clean the milk off the computer screen and my keyboard.:D :D :D

odin
12-04-2002, 07:39 PM
Sorry bubbleboy:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :laugh::laugh:

GreginAlaska
12-04-2002, 07:51 PM
Diesel...because they sound cool and I can afFORD them

:D

Best dog I ever had was a Rottie....:cry:

mdb landscaping
12-04-2002, 08:53 PM
i have a duramax diesel in my 2500HD. Sounds good, tons of torque and power, and i love racing and beating rice mobiles and filling their window up with smoke at the same time.

bubble boy
12-04-2002, 09:09 PM
i've always wondered would a diesel beet a gas say to 1/4 mile?

same truck, tranny, just diff engine.

mdb landscaping
12-04-2002, 09:12 PM
thats a good question bubble boy. Im not sure if a completely stock diesel would be able to beat a stock gas job, assuming you are putting it up against a same brand. For instance, chevies big gas motor is pretty powerful and would probably beat the 300hp duramax. Now a non stock diesel can blow that away. In my truck i have a 4 inch exhaust, computer and intake, and will blow the gas out of the water. You wouldnt beleive the power you can crank out of a diesel with a few simple mods.

bubble boy
12-04-2002, 09:21 PM
does modifying do anything in terms of hauling ability, or plowing?

i'd love to do something to my 2500 HD. 6.0 gasser. stock civics are no prob, but the preludes still have the edge on me.

say i wanted to spend a few hundred. is anything possible for that little? or do i have to get into thousands?

odin
12-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Bubbleboy

just curious you had any piston slap in the 6.0 gasser?

mdb landscaping
12-04-2002, 09:49 PM
off the top of my head, the first thing you should probably do to your truck would be to add a air intake and some bad azz sounding exhausts. Since i have spent countless numbers of hours reading up on diesels and mods, and final made my decision on my truck, i cant really tell you whats on the market today for gassers. Im pretty sure they make a power programmer for your truck where you plug into the computer and can play with rev limiter, shift points, speed limiter and other specs with the motor. If youve got questions on diesel mods i could help you, but maybe somebody with a suped up gasser could resond.

bubble boy
12-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by odin00
Bubbleboy

just curious you had any piston slap in the 6.0 gasser?

pistons are under the hood right?? HEHEHE im the village idiot with engines.

dont know what that is, i'll tell you if you describe.

rkbrown
12-05-2002, 08:55 AM
2001 Ford F-250 Crew Cab PSD here (Green Giant's little brother :D ). I really bought it to tow a travel trailer, but it has come in handy since I decided to get back into the business. I like the diesel for the towing power, mileage, longevity, and heck, the sound. :D

Randy J
12-05-2002, 09:39 AM
Another good reason for Diesel is, just like mdb found out, they can be modified easier than gas. And with a diesel, when you modify it, you get better fuel mileage, and don't usually hurt the longevity at all. The thing I like about the Cummins in my Dodge is it is built for considerable more power. They seriously detune it in the Dodge to protect the rest of the drive train. So with minor modding, the engine is capable of much more!
How can you beat better fuel mileage, more pulling power, longer life, easier to modify for more power, and better resale value? True they do have more oil capacity, but the more oil an engine, any engine, will hold the better as far as I'm concerned. And other than that, maintenance is a snap!

Randy

AltaLawnCare
12-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Diesel all the way!

Longer life, better resale value,....much better torque, and fuel mileage.

Better Off Modified Baby !!! :D :cool:

Gravel Rat
12-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Ha thats funny Cummins detune the ISB for P/U truck use the horsepower limits of the 5.9 is pushing it now for maximum reliability. Cummins sure has you brainwashed the ISB started out a 160hp the marine version at 370hp isn't constant duty thats pleasure craft rating. If the Cummins ran at that power all day and everyday it would last less than a year myself I don't believe that the ISB is what Cummins claims it tobe. Its a crock of **** that Cummins claims the ISB is a medium duty truck engine you put that in a 5 ton truck is barely adequate.

As for buying a diesel its the only way togo if you are travel alot or your using the truck for serious work for guys like me that are in the construction industry diesel fuel is alot cheaper to buy and more cost effective.

I would go and test drive a some diesel P/Us before you consider ordering one you may not like the way it feels or the noise a diesel produces. The other thing is is diesel fuel redilly aviailable in your area I have read that not many gas stations have diesel pumps in parts of the states.

Here in Canada diesel is everywhere most of the trucks are diesel powered and its 10 cents cheaper per litre.

So go try out a PSD Ford Chevy Dmax or Dodge Crummins and see which one you will like best I know Chrysler dealers will damn near suck your **** to make a sale.

AltaLawnCare
12-05-2002, 02:49 PM
Ha thats funny Cummins detune the ISB for P/U truck use the horsepower limits of the 5.9 is pushing it now for maximum reliability. Cummins sure has you brainwashed the ISB started out a 160hp the marine version at 370hp isn't constant duty thats pleasure craft rating. If the Cummins ran at that power all day and everyday it would last less than a year myself I don't believe that the ISB is what Cummins claims it tobe. Its a crock of **** that Cummins claims the ISB is a medium duty truck engine you put that in a 5 ton truck is barely adequate.

Thats interesting, where did this info come from?

BTW whos brain washed?

Whats this post mean?
:confused:

bubble boy
12-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by AltaLawnCare

Whats this post mean?
:confused:

he is saying he only would go into a B.C. forest in a dodge.:laugh:

devildog
12-05-2002, 03:10 PM
IF YOU EVER DRIVE A DIESEL (F25O EXT CAB L/B) YOU'LL KNOW WHY WE buy'em AND KEEP'EM FOREVER. With regards... devildog

Randy J
12-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by devildog
IF YOU EVER DRIVE A DIESEL (F25O EXT CAB L/B) YOU'LL KNOW WHY WE buy'em AND KEEP'EM FOREVER. With regards... devildog

No doubt devildog. I'd take any of the big 3's diesels over any of their gas engines.

Altalawncare, don't waste your keyboard. Brickman, Swampbeast, and the others are reasonable, but Gravel Rat obviously never outgrew the "I know everything, the rest of you are stupid" teen years. Although others may have different preferences, which is ok, the rest of us know the Cummins is a great motor.

Randy

Dennis E.
12-05-2002, 03:52 PM
For you PSD guys. Ricers? Wanna' make em' mad?
Paul and Rob will know what I mean....:D
Straight pipe will do the trick! Mine's SP'd.
Get one at a stoplight on the right on a two lane. Boom-boom going,the little silly exhaust noise they make.
When the light turns green you give 'em a dose of SP diesel and some black smoke.
Good for some laughs!:eek: :D :p ;)

Brickman
12-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
If i remember correctly, Brickman runs a Dodge gasser:confused: :D :D

Only in your dreams HOMER!!!

rkbrown
12-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Dennis:

I am still mostly stock, but I am hoping that I get guages from Santa this Christmas. Before the season starts in March, I hope to get a Tymar intake and a muffler delete from Autojet. :D

dhicks
12-06-2002, 11:10 AM
I bought a 2001 Duramax last year and I love it. I prefer the diesel over my 2000 Chevy 2500HD. The MPG is also better. I didn't need a diesel but I wanted one. Like I told my wife we got a good deal and her usual reply was that one more good deal and we'll be in the poor house.

Randy J
12-06-2002, 01:32 PM
That's pretty good DHicks. The conversation around your house sounds very similar to my house.
:rolleyes:

Randy

gslam88
12-06-2002, 11:28 PM
Gravet Rat,

An interesting rummor that you may like about cummings,

Are you aware that DamilerChrysler might be getting rid of the cummings engine in the p/u as they have bought Detroit.

I was looking for the article, but can not find it right now.

detroit's web site

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/public/corp/corppr.asp

It said something to the effect that the rummor puts the detroit in the med duty trucks and the freightliners in the heavy duty, I am not sure if they only mean the larger commerical trucks, or will it extent down to cummins ( who might still be owned by Ford or just have an interest in them)

Gravel Rat
12-07-2002, 12:24 AM
Ya I know that Dailmer owns Detroit diesel and Mercedes Benz so they want to start using both of these engine in their light and heavy duty trucks. They want to use a 6 cylinder Benz in the Dodge trucks which will be interesting from the spec's they sound all right. They are using Benz as a engine choice in the Frieghtliner trucks and supposidly they are turning out tobe a good engine. My concern would be getting parts for them being a Forieng made engine I guess if more of them get on the market parts will get better.

I have heard that Ford has their fingers in Cummins but that rumor has been circulating around for awhile now Cummins denies it maybe just to keep things quiet.

The Daimler Corporate is sort of run by a bunch of people that don't have a clue on what they are doing. What really pizzed me off is Ford sold their heavyduty truck line to Diamler that was the worst mistake ever then Diamler bought Western Star trucks.

We will have to see what happens I know Ford isn't gonna break ties with International to build engines for their trucks they are even teaming up to build medium duty trucks together.

Brickman
12-07-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Randy J
That's pretty good DHicks. The conversation around your house sounds very similar to my house.
:rolleyes:

Randy

I Don't have these kinds of problems. :D At my house there is no democracy.

eslawns
12-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Most people, given the choice, will take the diesel. As far as why most landscapers choose diesel, it's mainly because they want one. Most of us don't even need V8 gas engines, and there are several outfits around here using Nissan 4cyl/V6 trucks.

Most diesels are at least $6k more, right? That plus the maintenance costs will buy an awful lot of gas. Unless you put high miles on the truck, or pull a heavy rig, gas is going to be cheaper in the long run.

bubble boy
12-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by eslawns
Most of us don't even need V8 gas engines, and there are several outfits around here using Nissan 4cyl/V6 trucks.

Most diesels are at least $6k more, right? That plus the maintenance costs will buy an awful lot of gas. Unless you put high miles on the truck, or pull a heavy rig, gas is going to be cheaper in the long run.

i disagree with the V8 comment. most LCO 's here use at least half tons, even if they don't plow. those that plow , need V8. nissans? you see em, but please.

i do agree on gas engines. after 200k, with salt damage, plow damage, etc. a truck won't have much left. what good is engine with many more years of use if there is no truck to run it in?

if you're from a warm southern climate the above opinion obviously does not apply.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2002, 10:14 PM
Bubble boy is right I know here in B.C. a truck with over 200,000 kms is well beat the salt on the roads rusts the body off rots the frame out. You are constanty changing ball joints and tie rod ends because its damn hard to keep the parts greased I grease my truck ever month and still get alot of water coming out of the parts.

Thats what really makes me laugh about the Dodge boys bragging it up the Cummins engine can go a million miles a Dodge truck barely makes 250,000kms with out complete rebuild here in B.C.

The people from the southern states of the US don't even know what rust is and trying to fix rusted parts is about when your exhaust manifold bolts are rusted to tooth picks.

The lug nuts holding the wheels need tobe heated up with a torch and use a 1/2 drive impact wrench to get the nuts off you can use a 3/4 drive but you end up snapping the wheel studs.

The frame on the truck has heavy rust scale on it you knock it off and find a big hole rusted through the frame. The chassis wiring conections are all corroded up getting shorts and lights not working, brake lines rusting through step on the brakes and a line blows because of rust, brake backing plates rusting right off the axle.

Here in B.C. the mountains we drive on everyday wears tires out in no time your brakes last about a year suspension parts are worn out U joints snapping. Once your repair bills start exceeding payments on a new truck its time to get rid of it which is usually around 200-230,000kms.

Just to give you a idea it makes me laugh when some of ya are bragging up you got over 300,000 miles on your truck a vehical here will last nowhere near that long even if its babied all its life.

Randy J
12-08-2002, 07:35 AM
Sounds as if you're kind of hard on a truck, Gravel Rat.

Randy

KirbysLawn
12-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bubble boy
i've always wondered would a diesel beet a gas say to 1/4 mile?

same truck, tranny, just diff engine.

True except for there is a weight difference, the diesel weighs more. I think a gas would win against a stock diesel...however my diesel is not stock so mine would have an advantage.

If any of you PSD owners have not installed one yet you should check into a SuperChip, very good money spent.

A search will find a good deal of information on this subject including some good stst info, also checkout www.dieselstop.com for more information.

Dennis E.
12-08-2002, 09:20 AM
I'll stick with my programmer.
It's easier when the truck needs to go in for any service.
The PPIII has plenty enough extra for me.

Maybe a SCMT next.

Brickman
12-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn

If any of you PSD owners have not installed one yet you should check into a SuperChip, very good money spent.

A search will find a good deal of information on this subject including some good stst info, also checkout www.dieselstop.com for more information.

Bully Dog chip for me. I had a Diablo Sport chip. Tons of power, also a little brutal, turbo lag was exagerated and boost came on almost brutally.

www.bullydog.com

SpudsM15
12-13-2002, 01:06 AM
I really want a chevy2500hd with a duramax.
They only get 17/18 mpg?
I get that with my lil 4.3 S-10 4X4 which rocks by the way. Hehe
It only weighs a whole 2500lbs. I love burning those lil 1.8 civic 4 bangers!

Randy J
12-13-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by SpudsM15
I really want a chevy2500hd with a duramax.
They only get 17/18 mpg?
I get that with my lil 4.3 S-10 4X4 which rocks by the way. Hehe
It only weighs a whole 2500lbs. I love burning those lil 1.8 civic 4 bangers!

Yeah, but with the Duramax, you'd be able to put your S10 in the back to use instead of a spare tire, and still get 17/18 mpg.:cool:

Randy

Shady Brook
12-17-2002, 09:53 PM
I love my diesels, I really do. The power, the sound, everything about them. But... When they are out of warrentee, they are more expensive to work on. Any part pertaining to the engine is more. Water pump old truck, or Saturn cost me 25 -35 bucks. Powerstroke....$460. Starter $300, you get the picture. Big diesel in a 3/4 ford, bends the springs, causes alignment problems, and that means large dollars for suspension parts. Find someone to work on a diesel cheap... just finding someone to work on one at all is some times hard. The engine will last 400,000, but those injectors don't. How much you ask... at least $200 a piece, and for 8 of them, and install if you are not up for it.... your looking at well over $2,000 bucks. I can by a new gas engine for that.

They are fun, they are powerful, but if you are going to keep your truck a long time, and want to play with the big boys, you got to be ready to spend big boy money.

Don't buy a 3/4 Ford diesel. Get a 1 ton 4x4 with a solid front axle so you can at least align it.

Jay

mdb landscaping
12-17-2002, 10:16 PM
i get right around 20 mpg with my duramax.

MWS LAWN
12-17-2002, 10:24 PM
Hey Brook, The Super Duty 3/4 tons do have the solid front axle don't they?

Shady Brook
12-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Unless they made a change for 2003, I pretty positive they are TTB. You could check the Forddiesel.com site to find out more.

Jay

Gravel Rat
12-17-2002, 11:34 PM
All 99 and newer Ford F-250 trucks have solid dana 50s and then Ford changed them to Dana 60s the old TTB system is a tiremans favorite suspension it wears tires like no tommorow.

As for owning a diesel some times its the only way you can make money with the truck like here in B.C. Canada reg gas is alot more expensive compared to diesel fuel. I used to own a 88 F-Superduty with a 460 fuel injected the truck barely got 8mpg the average was 6mpg didn't change much with a load on it maybe 4mpg with a 6000lb load.

GraZZmaZter
12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Diesel all the way. I have 2 old Chevys. One with a 350 gasser, and the other with a 6.2 liter diesel. I love the diesel, and when i look for a truck next spring, it will definately be a duramax.

Delt Lawn Care
12-20-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by bubble boy
pistons are under the hood right?? HEHEHE im the village idiot with engines.

dont know what that is, i'll tell you if you describe.

WOW, now i dont feel so dumb.:D

Delt Lawn Care
12-21-2002, 12:07 AM
is the EZ dump a good thing to have? i mean will it hold up to the punishment and all, it has always seemed to me just a thing for looks but maybe im wrong, let me know cause i might have to get it later on, email me, i doubt ill be able to find this again,

tx

Delt Lawn Care

joed
12-26-2002, 06:02 PM
I have owned gas pick ups and currently own a 92 F350 diesel. From my experiences, the diesel pick up is advantageous if one or all of the following criteria are met:
1. You do a lot of long distance travelling.
2. You consistently carry heavy loads.
3. You're pulling a heavy trailer.
4. You intend to keep the truck a long period of time.

I love the diesel engine on my truck. It's sound, power, torque and decent fuel economy are terrific. However, what I have found is the fuel economy isn't as great as you would be led to believe (my truck gets around 16 mpg on the old 7.3 diesel), routine maintenance is more expensive (e.g. oil changes are close to double) and repairs can get costly (I had the injectors replaced last year. It cost me $ 2 000 Canadian. The Ford dealer told me that the Powerstroke would have been double that).

On top of this, like others have mentionned, sure the diesel will have double the life expectancy of the gas engine. However, the rest of the truck won't. In addition, the upfront cost of a diesel is more than what it would cost to replace a gas engine.

Nonetheless, I still think I would go with another diesel for my next truck. However, since I only use the truck, for stop and go lawn maintenance and landscaping, I would definitely think about the gas engine.