PDA

View Full Version : mulch on demand

lawnworkseb
03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
What do you think about the john deere mulch on demand. Mainly how do they mulch, looking at the new 48 deck???

Ridin' Green
03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Several guys here have them and love them. Mine is a std deck, but I have run the MOD setup for a few weeks, and it does a pretty good job of mulching as long as you aren't trying to do more than 2"-3.5" or so per cutoff, depending on the thickness of the grass/clippings. It is expensive as an option, but I believe it is worth it if you can afford it. For leaves etc, it is excellent. It really is about as close to being the perfect option that we have so far in this industry.

GoldStarMowing
03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I have the standard 54" pro deck on my 920 and I can't tell you how many times I wished I would have gotten the MOD deck. It's kind of a pain to take the mulching kit on and off the deck for different conditions and different customers. Being able to throw a lever and mulch/discharge would be great. I have yet to demo one so take this with a grain of salt as I can't speak for mulching performance.

mowerbrad
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I will never buy another ztr without the Mulch on Demand deck. I have both a 48" standard 7ironPRO and a 54" 7ironPRO MOD deck. Honestly, both seem to leave the same cut quality and perform pretty similarly when discharging.

With the MOD deck, it gives you options really, which is why I initially purchased one. Being able to move a lever and go from side discharging to mulching is awesome. I've been using the high lift blades for the past two seasons, which results in good discharging of clippings (distance especially) and a phenominal cut qualy. My dealer has suggested that I try mulching blades (due to our extremely sandy soil in my area) this season, so I'm not sure how the mulching blades will work, but my dealer tells me that they should work very well.

With the high lift blades, you will have great discharging performance, like I said before, but mulching performance is not going to be exactly like a true deck with mulching kit. You will see a windrow of clippings next to the discharge, mainly when cutting off more than just a couple inches. I'd say 3" is probably the cut off of when the cut looks good on the first pass and when you start to see a noticeable windrow next to the discharge. But per my dealer, the mulching blades will improve the mulching performance and help to chop up the clippings better when bagging. I'm not quite sure how well the mulching blades will side discharge, but I bag or mulch mostly so its not a major concern for me.

With the extra components under the MOD deck, it does create more parts to snag/collect clippings under the deck. I've noticed a little more build-up with my MOD deck over my standard deck, though. It's not a very noticable increase in build-up when I'm cleaning the deck, but I do notice a little more.

If you plan on bagging, the MOD deck helps there as well. You can actually close the MOD deck partially so you can basically mulch some grass and bag the excess at the same time. I can't use this feature under extreme growth/wet conditions (as I just have to bag fully then) but for normal conditions, that is my favorite thing. I can go from collecting a full hopper of clippings (14 bushels) to half that or less when closing the MOD part way. That definately helps at the end of the day when emptying the trailer. Plus, the customer gets the best of both worlds, a clean looking lawn and the nutrients from the cut grass added back into their soil.

Switching from bagging to side discharging or mulching is as simple as taking the fan off the side of the deck and then bolting on a plate to the MOD discharge cover. It takes 1-2 minutes really to get it all set. So really with one machine you can bag, side dischage and mulch all within a couple minutes.

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Brad-

I've been using Deere OEM mulching blades to side discharge for several years on a couple different 60" Deere decks, and they work just fine. If you mow at FS right now, you will probably have to slow down a little bit, but then again in sandy soil, and/or thinner grass you may not. Just keep them razor sharp for best performance. With the MOD closed, they should greatly improve the performance, both in mulching, and with reduced front skirt blowout.

Jlawnmow
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
So worth it!!! Wont get another JD without it. Or for that matter wont buy any other ZTR B/C they dont have that option!!

tyler_mott85
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Can you get the MOD decks on their Quik Traks?

John deer Z
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I have it and LOVE IT!! Would not buy one with out it now!!

Jimslawncareservice
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
I have it and LOVE IT!! Would not buy one with out it now!!

Same here. Can't say enough good stuff about it.

As of now, no they are not available on the quick traks. A couple salemen at my dealer heard it was possibility for 2012, but are not sure now. They thought maybe it had to do with location of the mod handle, and making it sturdy enough. If you have used a stander before,you know you can duck behind them if you have trees to mow through or other objects.
Posted via Mobile Device

integrityman
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM

I dont thinks so....Mower Brad may have some insight on that....

whaler's Mow-Town
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
you guys get me all excited....my Z920a 48 MOD will be here in ahhh...13....uh make that 12 days since today is already shot.

I am totally stoked and I was really hoping it would come in a little sooner. I have been ignoring my biggest property in hopes that I would get to sit down and do it this time but with the slow steady rain we have been getting lately and the string of days in the 80's....I guess I gotta go put the ol' JD walk behind warrior out to field one more time...sigh

mowerbrad
03-15-2012, 11:05 PM

I actually talked to my sales rep about this last year. He had just got back from their John Deere dealer fly-out they do every year. I've heard of some new ideas that may be coming in the next few years and the MOD deck option on the Quik Traks was a possibility. However, from what I understood, John Deere has/had no intention of offering that option soon. They did the update on the Quik Trak for 2011 and that seems to be all they want to do for now. I'd keep your eye out for 2013 and 2014 for the MOD option on them maybe (but that's just the feeling my dealer got and I got from my dealer).

But as of right now, sadly the MOD isn't avaiable on the Quik Trak models. Though if you are crafty, you may be able to retro fit the deck if you really wanted a MOD on a Quik Trak.

dutchacres
04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
I have been considering a new mower. But with all of Kawasaki's issues I can't bring myself to consider a Deere machine. I absolutely love my 930 w/ 60"MOD but I need more hp and the only options up from here is either the 950 w/ 31hp or the 960 with 34hp. My uncle has the 950 MOD and hasnt had any issue as of yet but my grandpa has a 960 72" and it is been in the shop several times for engine issues. Before it even had 50 hours on it it had blown up and had a new engine installed. Mulching blades work great on the MOD deck but dont cut as clean I dont believe as the high lifts. If I know I am going to mulch more than side discharge or it is wet I always run mulching blades.

Ridin' Green
04-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I have been considering a new mower. But with all of Kawasaki's issues I can't bring myself to consider a Deere machine. I absolutely love my 930 w/ 60"MOD but I need more hp and the only options up from here is either the 950 w/ 31hp or the 960 with 34hp. My uncle has the 950 MOD and hasnt had any issue as of yet but my grandpa has a 960 72" and it is been in the shop several times for engine issues. Before it even had 50 hours on it it had blown up and had a new engine installed. Mulching blades work great on the MOD deck but dont cut as clean I dont believe as the high lifts. If I know I am going to mulch more than side discharge or it is wet I always run mulching blades.

I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but the engine that comes on the 960/970 is the same engine with different throttle plates, and are the Kawi big blocks. They had a lot of problems when they first came out with some having multiple valve problems, and some just blowing up. I believe that they fixed most of, or all of those issues by the start of last season, and they seem to be a lot better now, but the damage to their reputation was/is done.

I have a new 950 w/60" MOD, and so far, I can't see any place I'll need any more power. This is the same engine as yours, with a different throttle plate. There have been several threads here on LS in the past, and at least one recently about guys spending about $30 bucks, and an hour or so of their time swapping out the throttle plates in their carbs for the largest one available for a particular engine series and gaining a bunch more HP. Maybe that would work for you?

dutchacres
04-12-2012, 03:56 AM
That is a good idea. I called my dealer the other day and he admitted they had the issue with the big blocks but he said it was more of a maintenance issue with guys not adjusting the valves every couple hundred hours. My opinion is he knows the issue was there but I am sure it was more than just adjustments. As I said my grandpas blew up with less than 50 hours on it. The other bad thing about going with a big block is the big fuel bill that goes with it. The dealer told me they burn between 2.3-2.5 gph. My thoughts are I can by a Kubota for basically the same money burn 70% less fuel and have all the power I would ever need. If I could just find a way to put my MOD deck on it!!

Ridin' Green
04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
That is a good idea. I called my dealer the other day and he admitted they had the issue with the big blocks but he said it was more of a maintenance issue with guys not adjusting the valves every couple hundred hours. My opinion is he knows the issue was there but I am sure it was more than just adjustments. As I said my grandpas blew up with less than 50 hours on it. The other bad thing about going with a big block is the big fuel bill that goes with it. The dealer told me they burn between 2.3-2.5 gph. My thoughts are I can by a Kubota for basically the same money burn 70% less fuel and have all the power I would ever need. If I could just find a way to put my MOD deck on it!!

I understand how you feel about the fuel useage. I don't know if you saw my post to you in the other thread or not, but I ran a 960 w/ 60" MOD last fall for a couple weeks while my mower was in the shop for service. It was right in the middle of the leaf drop here, and they were thick on the ground. I mulched them for the entire time I had the 960, and I averaged right at 1.5- 1.75 PGH the entire time. I checked it several times while I had the unit simply because of all the posts I had read here about high fuel useage. IITH