PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to keep the dump trailer?

4 seasons lawn&land
03-01-2012, 11:48 PM
I want to get a 3500 and a 7500 size dump this yr. I cant think of any reason to keep the trailer. Im trying to remember the jobs that Ive done with the trailer, to picture being without it, and having trucks only. If Im forgetting some of the benefits of the trailer I would be interested to hear them. Im really looking forward to not having to maneuver the damned thing!

ParkWelding
03-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Nope, No reason at all. Sell it quick. And cheap. I'll give you directions right now on where to take it.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-02-2012, 08:33 AM
ya, lol. I was going to PM you if I decided not to keep it, but what do you need 2 for anyway?

OhioMowerGuy
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Keep it instead of getting the 1 ton dump maybe? Insurance and tags are way cheaper on it compared to a 1 ton dump. You can legally haul more in a dump trailer than a 1 ton dump. Im kinda in the same situation as you, someday ill need a big single axle dump but will also need something smaller to work out of like a 1 ton or a dump trailer. Right now I have a 1 ton chevy dump. The only reasons id say have 2 dump trucks is if you had to plow/salt with the 1 ton and if you had a couple crews and need the extra truck. Just some ideas...

4 seasons lawn&land
03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I do need the 1 ton. I cant tow and plow with the trailer and the pickup needs a backup, plus its way overtaxed with the mini behind

DUSTYCEDAR
03-02-2012, 10:45 AM
rent it out as a dumpster

4 seasons lawn&land
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Not sure but I think you would need to rent several dumpsters often to pay for the dumping permit, otherwise pay residential rate and not be able to make anything.

White Gardens
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I do need the 1 ton. I cant tow and plow with the trailer and the pickup needs a backup, plus its way overtaxed with the mini behind

Personally I would Keep it. With a 1 ton dump and dump trailer, you'll be able to move lots of material with it if you get in that situation.

That and if you expand and have a 3/4 ton truck, then it could be versatile for the smaller work you need a dump for.

I'm looking at a possible dump to pull behind my C3500HD later this season for large mulch jobs. Much easier to scoop off a dump rather than off the ground.

robtown
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I would keep it.
great to stage material in.
you cant leave material in the street over night here but you can have it in a trailer.
if you need the larger truck to pick up other things you can leave the trailer and have the crew fill it.
its just nice as a back up.
...and if decide to get rid of it cheap NY is not that far.

Swampy
03-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Going with the flow. Keep it and then reaccess after you get your trucks that you need if you should sell it or not.

01thump
03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I just bought a 14ft goose dump trailer ...another reason to keep it is if your 1ton dump truck breaks for any reason you are out a dump truck for a length of time..you can tow the trailer with another truck even if you have to rent a truck to keep busy..my 2cents.

ParkWelding
03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
ya, lol. I was going to PM you if I decided not to keep it, but what do you need 2 for anyway?

I actually would like another, but a deck-over style (8'+ wide) 14 or 16' long, also 14K. As high as possible, with LOONG ramps. The regular 14K Loadtrail is too low to shovel mulch,stone, etc out of into "mexican dumptrucks". Also the bottom bar is too close to the ground when dumping loads that don't slide well, so you cant really make a good pile. 14' is too short for some of the equipment I have put in it, the extra 2' would make the difference between taking the doors off or not.

I wouldn't get rid of the one I have, but could use another sometimes. I will not buy a dump truck again (1 ton or larger) for what I do. The last two have been somewhat of a waste of money. Just more SRW diesel 4x4 pickups. For me they are the swiss army knife of trucks.

ParkWelding
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
So to answer the question. I'd keep it. But I also wouldn't buy a 1 ton dump.

BrandonV
03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
i'd keep it. i am in the market for one this year because i want to pull it behind our f750. more mulch carrying capacity and it'd be nice to carry mulch and soil conditioner/plants in the same load

MDLawn
03-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I actually would like another, but a deck-over style (8'+ wide) 14 or 16' long, also 14K. As high as possible, with LOONG ramps. The regular 14K Loadtrail is too low to shovel mulch,stone, etc out of into "mexican dumptrucks". Also the bottom bar is too close to the ground when dumping loads that don't slide well, so you cant really make a good pile. 14' is too short for some of the equipment I have put in it, the extra 2' would make the difference between taking the doors off or not.

I wouldn't get rid of the one I have, but could use another sometimes. I will not buy a dump truck again (1 ton or larger) for what I do. The last two have been somewhat of a waste of money. Just more SRW diesel 4x4 pickups. For me they are the swiss army knife of trucks.

First, not trying to take away from 4 Seasons thread.

ParkWelding, what do you think about those big deckover dump trailers? I've had a large low profile but just like you said they are low and hard to move loose material out of and into a wheelbarrow. How do you think they would be in regards to load stability? I'm going to purchase one in the next month and have been debating this over the winter. I can't say I've hauled much equipment but I hope not to be kicking myself if I needed to and the trailer be too tall... The ones I'm looking at come with ramps but that doesnt mean much.

KrayzKajun
03-02-2012, 11:53 PM
I SAY KEEP IT. the money i spent at the beginning of this week for my 18' dump trailer could have bought me a used 1 ton dump, but. im mainly solo for now. its nice to bring my skid and dump trailer to a job and be able to leave it. more load carry ablilty in a dump trailer.

makes a great dumpster at my yard, when not being used.
if i go deeper into tree work will work great holding chips,

ParkWelding
03-03-2012, 02:24 AM
First, not trying to take away from 4 Seasons thread.

ParkWelding, what do you think about those big deckover dump trailers? I've had a large low profile but just like you said they are low and hard to move loose material out of and into a wheelbarrow. How do you think they would be in regards to load stability? I'm going to purchase one in the next month and have been debating this over the winter. I can't say I've hauled much equipment but I hope not to be kicking myself if I needed to and the trailer be too tall... The ones I'm looking at come with ramps but that doesnt mean much.

I haven't owned one, but I don't think there will be much issue with load stability. If you have the same 5 ton of material in a 96" x 16', vs a 83" x 14' the load should be more spread out and IMO somewhat compensate for the extra few inches of floor height.

As far as equipment loading: I saw a couple of the companies that make a heavy duty deckover dump, had ramps that were much longer than the low pro dumps. By a good foot in length. I would feel comfortable with the extra height. The only things that I really planned to look out for/compare on a deck over dump, that I didn't when I bought the 14' Load Trail are: Actual floor height- Want highest, max dump angle- Want highest, Length from rear body pivot point to end of body- Want shortest, ramp length- Want longest + Must be stored underneath AND maybe order the ramps with additional angles or something like that. On my Load Trail, its difficult to drive wheeled mini skids, small wheeled skids, mowers or anything with small tires up the ramps. The angles going across are too far apart and the tires "fall" into the spaces and spin very easy.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Id hate to load any equipment in my trailer. Ive only loaded a walk behind skid in it. As far as trailer vs truck the trailer loses right from the start because I need another truck. The one thing I did see to keep it was that I can leave it to be loaded or unloaded by help while Im out doing other things. I'll need more than that though.

Darryl G
03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Besides what's already been mentioned, I love the loading height of my trailer compared to a dump truck. There's a huge difference between having to lift something to your knees instead of your chest. For jobs where I need to be in and out of the bed a lot loading/unloading by hand I think the trailer is more efficient. I have ramps for mine and can just walk right in and even slide loads up the ramp in tarps or 90 gallon barrels...stuff I'd never be able to lift. There's also the bulk it can haul...I can get a hell of a lot of brush/debris on my 7 x 12 Bri-Mar.

zmowingmaster
03-03-2012, 11:39 AM
wrong thread sorry

Dig-It-Landscaping
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I would keep it. I have a 1 ton dump, a 33k freight liner dump, and a 12500 gvw dump trailer. I use the trailer all the time. I'm even looking at buying another 14' dump trailer.

The benefits are: If your equipment trailer breaks down your can move your skid loader or mini ex on it. They have a lower height to run ramps into for moving wheelbarrow of debris. I can barely get the guys to wheel up a ramp into the 1 ton, let alone the Freightliner. If you do larger mulch jobs you can haul 30+ yards at a time with the 7500 you want to get and the dump trailer. If we have hardscapes that need sand, base gravel, drainage, gravel, you can keep them separated and take them to the job all at once.

Just my .02