PDA

View Full Version : Rear Discharge Gravely?

MOturkey
03-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I was perusing the Gravely website the other night, and was checking out the new models, and changes to the older ones. The Pro-Master line, which is what I've been buying, is now somewhat limited in options, as, I'm guessing, the Pro-Turn series of mower becomes more popular. A 60 and, I believe, a 72 inch option are listed as RD, which I can only assume means rear discharge.

(Gravely, if any of you guys are reading this, your website, in my opinon, sucks, when it comes to getting complete specs)

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of experience any of you have had with rear discharge mowers? If I hadn't just replaced both my mowers with 2011 models, I'd certainly consider a rear discharge as it seems to me, if the cut is okay, it would eliminate, or at least reduce many of the problems associated with side-discharge such as throwing clippings on pavement, unable to trim with the right side, etc. Thanks for any responses.

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Rear discharge mowers leave a cut a lot more like a brush hog than a finish mower. By their very design, they don't have the vacuum needed for a top notch finish, and they tend to leave the clippings longer. Now, if you have a lot of horse pasture type turf that needs to be cut fast, they excel for that.

If you do a search, you should be able to pull up a thread from last summer about them. Lots of negative posts, and few positive posts, regarding their QOC.

dbear
03-02-2012, 12:58 PM
...(Gravely, if any of you guys are reading this, your website, in my opinon, sucks, when it comes to getting complete specs)...
Full specs are available for download (something some companies don't offer on their sites), but only one "family" at a time - aka no full line brochure. It does sort of make it a little cumbersome to compare say the Pro-Ride 200 models with the Pro-Turn 200 models, but at least the info is there.

No experience with RD mowers except 10' brush mower.