PDA

View Full Version : Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series

Dropdown3
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
With the help of this website and reading countless posts for the past 2-months, I'm leaning towards purchasing a Ferris IS1500 48" ZTR. With that said, two engine options are available for the 48" IS1500 in 2012:

1. 26 gross HP B&S Commercial Turf Series
2. 18.5 gross HP Kawasaki FS600V**

I'm not a B&S fan, the Commercial Turf Series is relatively new, and I think the 18.5 HP Kawasaki may be a bit under powered.

To my knowledge, the FS series Kawasaki are rated at 500 hours. Anyone know how many hours the Commercial Turf Series B&S is rated at?

I found one post on Lawnsite that wasn't all too helpful.

Thoughts on this engine?

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
While I'm not up on the exact hour specs of the Kawi, I'd be highly surprised to not see it go waaay beyond that with proper maintenance. If you are a homeowner, it should provide enough power for your needs depending on what your turf conditions are.

The new B&S ELS engines are nothing more than their old Intek engines which were not commercial grade in any way. When properly taken care of they'll last a good while, but would definitely not be my choice. On top of that, the actual HP of the B&S is going to be well below the gross rating in actual use. The Kawi is rated by the new system of testing standards, and is listed in their critical power series engines. That means it will actually provide at least 98% of the rated HP, and be much closer to the B&S than it first appears.

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Here are links to both the Kawi engine specs, and the B&S engine specs.The only thing comercial about the B&S is the air filter/oil filter/gas filter being larger. If you go to their site, then clcik on where it says commercial engines, their Vangaurd series pops up. They are an entirely different engine than the "commercial turf" series enfines.

http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=42&cat_id=12

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/riding-mower/detail/?series=Commercial+Turf+Series&id=%7bB1EC9D1A-FDD6-41EB-A3AD-6DE493109244%7d

Dropdown3
03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the links. I have been on both of these sites and the B&S site leaves a lot to be desired. I'm leaning toward the smaller Kawasaki or 2011 IS1500 with 1,000 hour rated FX series Kawasaki. My options are limited as I want to stay with the 48" deck.

Here is HP/torque graph on the 26HP Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series engine: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jkowsNDvrS8lFix2.pdf

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Thhat graph is in the link that I posted, but you do have to do a little clicking here and there on B&S's site to find anything of value. Maybe they're trying to hide something LOL.

The graph only shows HP, while Kawi shows both in their chart. The FX series are excellent engines, and will last well over 2000-3000 hours of use when maintained properly. Most of the commercial mowers have either FX, Kohler Command Pro, or Vanguard engines.

The 1500 with the Kawi is the one I'd choose out of those you mentioned. Why do you need to stay with a 48" deck, gates or something? What kind of prices have you gotten so far?

Valk
03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
To my knowledge, the FS series Kawasaki are rated at 500 hours.

Not calling you out, but where did you read this? Can anyone corroborate this about FS series KAWI engines?

GoldStarMowing
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I'd give the Kawi my vote.

I still have a 2003 John Deere Lx280/48" with an 18hp Kawi. The tractor rolled over 1500 hours last year which for a "residential" grade mower is some good use. The only thing that isn't original are all the belts and the battery. I'm not sure how many hours the engine on my old Deere is rated for but it has been a fantastic motor. My 920a has since taken over the majority of the mowing duties. Still nice to keep the Lx280 around for tricky hills since it's much more stable than a ztr. My.02

RTR Landscaping
03-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Get the Kawasaki.

Dropdown3
03-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Not calling you out, but where did you read this? Can anyone corroborate this about FS series KAWI engines?

http://www.outdoorpowerequipment.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?nm=News+and+Features&AudID=CC89A83758524B50A259F8625D73475B&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=893880EBE2784954A424CA3585ACE453

From link above:
"New engine offerings from Kawasaki, available in both FS and FX models, give buyers a range of choices, depending on eventual application. FX Series engines are certified for CARB Tier III and EPA Phase III emission standards for 1,000 hours of operation. FS Series engines are certified for CARB Tier III and EPA Phase III emission standards for 500 hours of operation. Within those categories, buyers have a choice of horsepower output to “size” engines for best equipment performance. For example, FS/FX600V engines deliver up to 20 hp. at 3,600 rpm and develop a maximum torque of 35.5 foot-pounds at 2,400 rpm. Both the FS600V and the FX600V are 2-cylinder overhead v-valve forced air-cooled engines, with V-twin cylinders and a 603-cc (36.8-cubic-inch) displacement."

Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

GIE+EXPO 2009 Indoor Booth #1064

Valk
03-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for posting that, Dd3.
Not sure they're referring to the 'life' of an engine, but rather to emissions.
Appreciate your efforts, kind sir.

Dropdown3
03-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Why do you need to stay with a 48" deck, gates or something? What kind of prices have you gotten so far?

To be honest, the Ferris IS1500 is overkill, way overkill for my personal needs. I currently live on a 1/3 acre that takes me about 40 minutes to push mow and another 15 minutes with the string trimmer. Call me lazy, but I'd rather spend $6K to mow in 15 minutes, trim for 15 minutes, and spend the 25 minutes saved with my two young daughters. I have two gates on my property. In addition, my wife has a grandmother that's getting older and I can foresee helping with her 1.5 acres in the not so distant future. My grandparents have 2 acres. Where I'm from, you take care of family, so, this will allow me to help out family without draining the time bank. Last, I don't want to buy a sub par quality ZTR from a big box store for $3-$4k and have issues. A decent entry level commercial ZTR will last me for many, many years.

Ferris is offering 0% financing for 48 months, so, if I can't work a good deal on a cash offer, I'll just finance. I have yet to price the IS1500 48" with the Kawasaki, but a friend purchased one for $6K out the door last year. Sure, prices have gone up a few dollars, but if I can stay in the $6-$6.5K range, I will be satisfied.

Dropdown3
03-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks for posting that, Dd3.
Not sure they're referring to the 'life' of an engine, but rather to emissions.
Appreciate your efforts, kind sir.

I would assume the heavy duty dual stage air canister on the FX Series has something to do with the 500 hour difference in the emission hours rating. From the literature I've read, the FX Series seems to be the more "commercial" of the two engines, but either should suit my application just fine. With the rising costs of ZTR's this year and the fact the mower I want no longer is offered with the FX Series engine, I may look around for a left over 2011 model.

Swinging back around to the topic, the conservative side of me and the feedback received on this website has me leaning towards any Kawasaki model over the B&S.

FX Series
KAWASAKI FX SERIES ARE COMPACT, 90-DEGREE V-TWIN ENGINES WHICH FEATURE HEMISPHERICAL COMBUSTION CHAMBERS AND OVERHEAD V-VALVE TECHNOLOGY THAT HELPS ENSURE LOW EMISSIONS, HIGH POWER, AND SMOOTH OPERATION. OTHER FEATURES INCLUDE A TWIN BARREL, INTERNALLY VENTED CARBURETOR WITH FUEL SHUT-OFF SOLENOID, LARGE CAPACITY FUEL PUMP, HIGH EFFICIENCY OIL COOLER AND DUAL STAGE CANISTER AIR FILTER.

FS Series
KAWASAKI FS SERIES ENGINES ARE ENGINEERED TO BE HIGH POWERED BUT STILL ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY. THEY FEATURE A COMPACT, 90° V-TWIN DESIGN WITH OVERHEAD V-VALVE, AS WELL AS AN INTERNALLY VENTED CARBURETOR WITH A FUEL SHUT-OFF SOLENOID. THERE IS ALSO A DUAL ELEMENT AIR FILTER WITH A PLASTIC BLOWER HOUSING THAT MAKES FOR QUIETER OPERATION.

The major differences between the two:

• FX models have a canister air cleaner for best possible cleaning of combustion air

• FX Engines feature a HD solenoid shift starter.

• FS Engines have an HP range of 13.2 - 22.2hp

• FX Engines have an HP range of 13.2 - 31.4hp

Ridin' Green
03-03-2012, 08:28 PM
• FX models have a canister air cleaner for best possible cleaning of combustion air

• FX Engines feature a HD solenoid shift starter.

• FS Engines have an HP range of 13.2 - 22.2hp

• FX Engines have an HP range of 13.2 - 31.4hp

The FX series is available all the way up to 37 HP.

http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=53&cat_id=5

Definately get the Kawi over any B&S engine (other than the Vanguard series which are excellent).

Dropdown3
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4335446]The FX series is available all the way up to 37 HP.

In my search for more information on the Commercial Turf Series, I have learned that if you don't get the information straight from the manufacturer's website, chances are it's wrong or anecdotal. I take into consideration the opinions of people within the industry, so, this website has been very helpful in answering a lot of my questions.

In conclusion to this thread, Kawasaki will be my choice of engine when and if I finally pull the trigger on a new mower, FS or FX.

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4335446]The FX series is available all the way up to 37 HP.

In my search for more information on the Commercial Turf Series, I have learned that if you don't get the information straight from the manufacturer's website, chances are it's wrong or anecdotal. I take into consideration the opinions of people within the industry, so, this website has been very helpful in answering a lot of my questions.

In conclusion to this thread, Kawasaki will be my choice of engine when and if I finally pull the trigger on a new mower, FS or FX.

Good luck, and post some pics when/if you do.:)