PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki starter RPM

CT18fireman
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Anyone know approximate RPM of the common Kawasaki starter for FH680 or 721 motors among others?

I am looking for no load RPM

Restrorob
03-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Hmmm...... Never had any reason to or heard of checking starter RPM much less have a tool to measure it with, For giggles I looked through the manual and found no specs ?

I walk a starter over to my jumper battery, While holding it tightly in my left hand I put the positive lead on the post then touch the negative to the unpainted nose/mount plate, I do this a couple times, If the starter twist my wrist on cable contact it's normally good to go back on.

If it doesn't twist then it needs to come apart for full on inspection.

The reason for clamping the positive on and touching the ground is to keep from arcing up the threads on the post.....

CT18fireman
03-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Not testing it. Have one with a broken sprocket that otherwise works fine. I have another unrelated use for it for hobby purposes. Were building a Rube Goldeberg type contraption. Was able to bore out a 3/8" shaft pulley and fit it on shaft (after removing old sprocket spring etc.) Wanted an estimate of RPM so I could figure driven sprocket size. I think my buddy has a pointable RPM tester so I will see if it will pick it up. Being 12 volts and limited load i figured I could slow it down with a rheostat.

ricky86
03-03-2012, 12:58 PM
You might find a better motor for your task. Starter motors are made to deliver extremely hi torque for a short period of time. Good for start-up (capacitor not needed) but longevity might be an issue. IMO

CT18fireman
03-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I think your overthinking this. My sons saw a ad for a tv show from the Mythbusters about reaction machine building. We are looking around the shop for scraps to build stuff. Had this starter and some sprockets. If it works for a couple runs that's all we care about. Just was trying to find an estimated rpm so I could get a sprocket to hit a range to spin small pump.

CT18fireman
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I think your overthinking this. My sons saw a ad for a tv show from the Mythbusters about reaction machine building. We are looking around the shop for scraps to build stuff. Had this starter and some sprockets. If it works for a couple runs that's all we care about. Just was trying to find an estimated rpm so I could get a sprocket to hit a range to spin small pump. Pump will not be building pressure so will have very little resistance to motor. IE: I can do it by hand now and complete the task but we want a motor to be switched by another task and then do this.