PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa Multi tool M242

Greyst1
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Hey everyone,

Thinking about buying one of these with the edger, hedger, and bar saw attachments. Anyone ever have any power issues running the lawn edger? Any advice on this machine would be great.

Thx

djagusch
03-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I own 2 with all atachments listed plus the power broom.

Buy it and enjoy. They do very well my oldest is 5 old 6 yrs old and works great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
03-03-2012, 03:40 AM
I have one for over 3 years and I use another one for two weeks. If I were to do it again, I would not buy it. I got it during a promotion where I buy the short hedge trimmer attachment and get the string trimmer attachment free. Also the dealer was out of Husqvana 326LDx at the time.

It is a total gutless supreme. It is 23.8cc, only 1.2cc smaller than my Troybilt 4 cycle multi tool. The power is day and night difference. It cannot even clear weeds only 12" tall. The cheap old Troybilt trim circle around this. It takes a minutes to warmup and before that, you cannot rev it up. I brought it over to my rental property to weed wack only a 6'X15' weeds that is no more than about 12"tall and it just did not do it, even if I tried to go very very slow, it just got tangle up by the weeds. I end up having to take the Honda 31cc out of storage and only take a few minutes to wack the place. Maybe it need to open the high speed needle a little. But can't get the tool.

So far the problem I have is if I use it as hedge trimmer, the gas filter always work itself into the neck and starve for gas. I put two 1/4" nut trying to weight it down, still it will come up on and off.

The one I have had the old choke and it fell apart after less than two years. All in all, the motor never quit yet, but after getting two newer Maruyama hand held, I sure regret getting that M242. The only thing I can say it it good is the SpeedFeed head. Also, Shindaiwa and Husqvana are the only one I know that make short reach articulate hedge attachment that is short enough that you can use it for regular hedge trimming. Both Stihl and Echo only have long shaft hedge attachment.

From reading all the raving reviews on Husqvana, get the 326LDx, that's what I would do if I were to do it again.

Greyst1
03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Power was my main concern, i looked at the Redmax unit and it has less power than the Shindy. I definitely don't want Stihl. They are heavy and the maintenance cost are high. Not sure what to do, been reading about the M242 and looks like mostly good and some bad. I have and Eb802 which i use daily and love it and the T242 which i haven't used yet which is why i'm leery on on the power.

djagusch
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I would say it has plenty of power for normal uses. Edging works fine for normal maintenance, pole saw, and hedge clippers work great.

Never had the fuel issue while trimming hedges, I would also imagine that adding weight to the fuel filter would make it move around even more.

For the longer stuff I always trim up and down which doesn't let the grass wrap around it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Power was my main concern, i looked at the Redmax unit and it has less power than the Shindy. I definitely don't want Stihl. They are heavy and the maintenance cost are high. Not sure what to do, been reading about the M242 and looks like mostly good and some bad. I have and Eb802 which i use daily and love it and the T242 which i haven't used yet which is why i'm leery on on the power.

The newer Shindy products is going down hill. The only bright spot is the big EB802 which has spotless reputation in the last 4 years. All the rest of the new products is less than good to be more politically correct. Read the T242, it has the same engine, it is spotty.

Take a look at Husky, read the post here. The idea of my old beat up Troybilt running circles around the M242 that cost $575 is not present. But only Shindy and Husky has the short reach hedge attachment which is very important to me at the time. If you can still get the M231, that is a different story, this is the old school Shindaiwa at it's glory days. Get an old muffler for the T230 and you get yourself the good old M230 of the yesteryear.