PDA

View Full Version : backpack blower

sgarr
03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Is stihl 600 still having valve problems for 2012 -looking for a powerful blower for work near hilton head sc

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Some guys here have reported problems, but that was on the ealier 600. The Magnum version addressed those issues. I have the M version, and it is going on 2 years old with no problems what so ever. I run full synthetic oil, and otherwise take good care of my machines. I really like mine.

There is bound to be one member that will come along shortly (that always disparages Stihl tools whenever he can), who will tell you that they are still problematic and junk. I believe that more here will agree with me though, and say they are great blowers that are great on fuel and will last you just fine.

SDLandscapes VT
03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
RG

not going to disparage stihl saying they are junk--we had a stihl blower for a bit and liked the performance better with other brands--first redmax--I have several older 8000 and 8001's and now shindaiwa with the 854. I wouldnt hesitate with a shindy 854 or an 802 and depending on price in your area you might find them a bit cheaper than the stihl.

Ridin' Green
03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
RG

not going to disparage stihl saying they are junk--we had a stihl blower for a bit and liked the performance better with other brands--first redmax--I have several older 8000 and 8001's and now shindaiwa with the 854. I wouldnt hesitate with a shindy 854 or an 802 and depending on price in your area you might find them a bit cheaper than the stihl.

I run a Husky 570(same thing as RM 7500) as well as my Stihl, and I do like it a little better, but I only mentioned my Stihl since the OP was asking specifically about them. There are lots of good ones out on the market these days, and I do like the 802 very much. The only reason I mentioned someone would disparage Stihl, because I know if he sees this thread, he will. He does every chance he gets, and it's getting old.

KLAlawncare
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
i had a few br600's and they lost power over time, im running the redmax 8500's now. awsome blowers!

SLMGT
03-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Bought a Magnum 600 mid 2011, no problems yet.

RTR Landscaping
03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
We ran BR600's 6 years ago and switched to RedMax because of valve problems. The dealer I buy from sells both brands and he says the problems have all been resolved. He has had no problems with the Magnum. I'm going to stay with RedMax because I like their fleet program, but the BR600 is good.

smallstripesnc
03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I just got the Redmax EBZ8500RH best blower I've ever used. Tons of power so far and I'm very impressed with it.

weeze
03-02-2012, 11:52 PM
i got one last year and used it all season and using it now with no problems so far.

castlerockmo
03-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Husqvarna580/red max 8500 crazy blowers love em!
Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Some guys here have reported problems, but that was on the ealier 600. The Magnum version addressed those issues. I have the M version, and it is going on 2 years old with no problems what so ever. I run full synthetic oil, and otherwise take good care of my machines. I really like mine.

There is bound to be one member that will come along shortly (that always disparages Stihl tools whenever he can), who will tell you that they are still problematic and junk. I believe that more here will agree with me though, and say they are great blowers that are great on fuel and will last you just fine.

The Stihl BR 600 MAGNUM blowers are amazing machines!

usmcdroach
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Look at the echo 770 . I had a shindawa stolen last year and replaced it with the echo holy crap is this thing a beast. For one thing its a couple lbs lighter than the shindawa which helps also the pads against your back are vented and the fan blows air to your back which is amazing mid summer. Overall its more powerful than any blower on the market IMO.

Darryl G
03-03-2012, 12:13 PM
My Husqvarna 580 blew the doors off the Echo 770 in a side-by-side test I did last fall when I was working next door to a landscaper friend of mine's crew. I had used one briefly myself at the dealer and it was a very nice and powerfull blower for sure, but the Husky defintely has more gonads. The Husky is a little different than the Redmax 8500, most notable is that it has both a padded waste belt and a chest (sternum) strap. They will probably get in the way and be a bit of a pain when I'm out on my mowing route, since I don't usually have it on for long....but, for cleanups it was great and the run time was also very good...about 80 minutes a tank. Yeah, I wanted to get the thing off my back by the time I had run a tank, but it's pretty comfortable for such a big/bulky unit. It's so powerfull that even when doing heavy cleanups I have it throttled back. I set the cruise at 75 to 85% power and use the trigger like a turbo boost to blast stubborn stops or to stuff leaves into the woods/brush. It is as loud as it is powerfull at WOT..I think it's 97 db at your ears. I added an extra intermediate tube and would probably do the same on the Echo 770. I prefer a long tube like the Shindaiwas. Those are defintely nice blowers and I almost bought the 802.

I won't comment much on the Stihl since I have never run one. But I've seen them in action and they seem like they are nice blowers...powerfull for their size and weight in a compact case with nothing sticking out.

If you get any one of the blowers mentioned in this thread so far I think you'd be making a good purchase.

lawnpro724
03-03-2012, 01:34 PM
You stihl guy's are really something. Just about everything Stihl makes is problematic with one exception their chain saws which are still pretty good. I've been running Echo blowers for over 20 years and I have never had one problem with them. We run pretty much Echo everything and things run smooth year round. Stihl used to be a great brand but they forgot about what made them great KISS (keep it simple stupid). The guys at Stihl are constantly trying to improve everything and its hurting the Stihl brand. Stihl's long term reliability sucks!

Ridin' Green
03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
You stihl guy's are really something. Just about everything Stihl makes is problematic with one exception their chain saws which are still pretty good. I've been running Echo blowers for over 20 years and I have never had one problem with them. We run pretty much Echo everything and things run smooth year round. Stihl used to be a great brand but they forgot about what made them great KISS (keep it simple stupid). The guys at Stihl are constantly trying to improve everything and its hurting the Stihl brand. Stihl's long term reliability sucks!

That's your opinion, and you are welcome to feel that way, but it isn't accurate in the slightest when all prejudice is set aside.

I am not a "Stihl man" in the slightest. I do own and use some of their equipment, but that's because they it has always worked great, and still does. However, I will buy any brand if it does what I need it to do, doesn't have any major issues known, and I can buy it at a reasonable price. Does Stihl turn out a lemon every now and then? Sure, but so does every other manufacturer.

frameslawn
03-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Stihl BR600 Magnum, Best Backpack Blower $$$ Can Buy

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Stihl BR600 Magnum, Best Backpack Blower $$$ Can Buy

Exactly!!!!!!!