PDA

View Full Version : Dirt ????

OrangeToys
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I just recieved a opportunity to bid on putting in a yard. I have to bring in dirt and then spread seed (landscaping it later). Question is How much dirt would you bring in for just throwing seed (Kentucky 31) on the yard. I usually do sod but they don't want it.

RigglePLC
03-02-2012, 09:43 PM
http://pickseed.com/usa/varieties/index.html
Why would you put in such cheap seed? Try to convince the homeowner that he will have the worst lawn on the street if he uses cheap seed like K-31.
Use the good stuff, a new variety, at least newer than 2005. Darker green, finer texture, better disease resistance, denser sod.
Crossfire 3 for instance.

OrangeToys
03-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Its a 10ac property and that's what they want. They just need help getting it started
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
03-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Hahaha....dirt is what's under your finger nails. Soil is what we use in landscaping

A top dressing of soil is generally spread at half an inch to one inch deep.

A cubic yard of soil will cover an area approximately 10 feet by 10 feet, three inches deep.

Smallaxe
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Covering 10A of ground with some 'soil' is really a useless expense, unless you go thick enough layer to make it worth while... Why have they waited till Spring to seed 10A?

There are many agricultural practices that make 10A of ground cost effective... 10A as a large lawn is silly, unless they have more dollars than sense...

Explore sensible options... :)

OrangeToys
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
sorry its not 10ac im doing just up around the house they just built

Smallaxe
03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
A proper scaper know what kind of soil you are starting with and what sort of ammendments will be the most important AND cost effective...

What kind of 'dirt' do they got now?

RigglePLC
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Do this in fall unless there is irrigation. If you can grow weeds--you can grow grass. If the topsoil has been removed--you may need "dirt".
However do not try to substitute a layer of dirt on top for good soil preparation. Its difficult to spread dirt evenly, especially if you intend to spread a thin layer. And frequently rain interferes with the job.
You need a soil test as Smallaxe suggests.
People who sell and truck in "dirt" may have widely differing ideas as to what is acceptable. The first two loads may be good, and as soon as you turn your back you may get 20 loads of carp.

wrooster
03-05-2012, 12:10 AM
as soon as you turn your back you may get 20 loads of carp.
That's a lot of fish.

I guess it qualifies as OM, so maybe the lawn will eventually benefit.
But in the meantime the smell, and all the neighborhood cats, ...

Wrooster :laugh: