PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Run-Behind?

White Gardens
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Have a chance to pick up a Dixie Run-Behind. One I used to use when I worked for the previous company selling it.

All I remember is that the thing was awesome, but didn't know what the general public thought of them before they were discontinued.

Exact Rototilling
03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Pics please....how fast?
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Here's a good write up. http://www.greenhillfarms.net/dixiechopper.htm

All I remember is when you had it at full speed you would be lightly jogging.

The platform/sulky sucks on it, but I might just modify the one or get a Jungle Jim sulky for it.

crazymike
03-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Here's a good write up. http://www.greenhillfarms.net/dixiechopper.htm

All I remember is when you had it at full speed you would be lightly jogging.

The platform/sulky sucks on it, but I might just modify the one or get a Jungle Jim sulky for it.

that sounds incredibly dangerous and tiring. And likely to cut poorly.

Gilmore.Landscaping
03-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Wow I thought the title was a joke....that seems incredibly dangerous.

Mowingman
03-02-2012, 11:37 PM
I read a lot about them back when they were offered, which was only for about 1 year. I believe they actually had a very nice cut. They were big, heavy, and FAST.

White Gardens
03-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I read a lot about them back when they were offered, which was only for about 1 year. I believe they actually had a very nice cut. They were big, heavy, and FAST.

I remember the machine having a really nice cut, and the guy who owns it has two and is keeping one.

Dangerous, never felt that way when I operated it. Can be any less/more dangerous than any other stander on the market now.

The run-behind kinda fits in my business profile also. The machine doesn't rut as bad a sit-on zero turn, a bit lighter, but yet keeping up production.

crazymike
03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
I remember the machine having a really nice cut, and the guy who owns it has two and is keeping one.

Dangerous, never felt that way when I operated it. Can be any less/more dangerous than any other stander on the market now.

The run-behind kinda fits in my business profile also. The machine doesn't rut as bad a sit-on zero turn, a bit lighter, but yet keeping up production.

I don't think running behind a lawn mower is anything like a stander.

When you are running/jogging/power walking you are WAY more likely to trip and fall. WAY more likely.

Tripping and falling into something moving at a quick rate of speed, with spinning blades would probably end badly.

crazymike
03-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm confused. The platform is built in, but you said the sulk sucks?

Why not just buy a walk behind and sulky?

White Gardens
03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm confused. The platform is built in, but you said the sulk sucks?

Why not just buy a walk behind and sulky?

It is a walk behind, but I think I'm going to put a jungle jim 2 wheel sulky on it.

The platform has two pivot points on the frame and one caster wheel in the center. It leaves a tire mark in the center of the stripe and isn't comfortable the way it oscillates.

Look at the pic, you can see the platform and wheel in the up position.

http://www.greenhillfarms.net/images/dixiechopper_2.jpg

The only advantage to this setup is that you can raise and lower the platform on the fly.

White Gardens
03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
And the only shot I found with platform in the down position.

White Gardens
03-03-2012, 01:13 AM
And could anyone really tell me what would make this machine any more dangerous than something like a TORO Walkbehind?

Richard Martin
03-03-2012, 03:42 AM
These mowers are no more dangerous than any other mower. Of all of the reports that I've read about them, not one single person ever complained about anything. This mower only had one problem and if Dixie had kept producing them then people probably would have gotten over the problem. They were very ungainly looking. It didn't look like any other mower out there. They are converted Silver Eagles. They had a whole bunch of really cool features like a boat style lanyard, removable gas tanks and factory OCDC.

Dixie killed them off before they had a chance to get going though. Such a shame.

White Gardens
03-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Dixie killed them off before they had a chance to get going though. Such a shame.

I always wondered why they quit making them. I know it was around the time when the business changed and Art stepped down, so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

Thanks Richard!

Greyst1
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Why the Ef would you want to light jog during a mow? Is there really any ? why these were killed off.

Richard Martin
03-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Why the Ef would you want to light jog during a mow? Is there really any ? why these were killed off.

Uh yeah. Because you didn't actually have to run behind them. Dur...

SDLandscapes VT
03-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't think it would be unsafe, but I think either a hydro walkbehind or a stander would be fine alternatives. I think it was dixie's choice for those who want to run dixie...

white are you sure about this--if it were me i wouldn't operate a division of the business on a used piece of discontinued equipment--just seems like a recipe for downtime. I m not bashing the machine I m just trying to understand the decision

jvanvliet
03-03-2012, 04:51 PM

:laugh:Hahaha, you took the words out of my mouth. Be great down here in the summer. :hammerhead:

I got a couple of Metro 36's with 14HP Kawasaki, I push it into 4th and I'm running full tilt boogie. I save it for the crews. What makes the Dixie special?

I'll bet lot's of the walkers when kicked up in gear will make you jog.

White Gardens
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't think it would be unsafe, but I think either a hydro walkbehind or a stander would be fine alternatives. I think it was dixie's choice for those who want to run dixie...

white are you sure about this--if it were me i wouldn't operate a division of the business on a used piece of discontinued equipment--just seems like a recipe for downtime. I m not bashing the machine I m just trying to understand the decision

Normally I've been using my older late nineties Simplicity Coronet. 34" wide, 16 horse motor, and fantastic stripes/cut for about 6 mow/maintenance accounts I do. It's just too bad it's too slow and not "professional looking" (which I think is a crock, but it is what it is.)

This year I'll be tripling the number of mowing accounts, but they are still small with a handful of larger area that I can put the platform down on and run at top speed.

Coupled with a lot of curbs to hop, I feel this machine will do just fine. I do have a 60" Dixie ride on at my disposal if need to use it. Basically it's an in-laws and I take care of his property with it. As much as I would like to use it all the time and he has offered to let me rent it, it's not mine, and too big for the smaller properties I picked up.

It's a means to an end. I didn't really expect to pick up all these accounts but have been slowly preparing for such. This machine will do the job for a season or two until I can go bigger and newer. As a discontinued machine, I still can get parts for it, and I did work on Dixie Choppers for a couple of summers as a part-time mechanic, so fixing it won't take much.

Also, after running a Toro walk-behind in the past and the Dixie Run-Behind, I feel this machine blows out every other walk-behind in terms of productivity.

That and it doesn't rut at all or as bad as a sit down ZTR, and I'm a stickler for crap like that as are my clients.

Ultimately, baby steps is the name of the game. If the mowing division takes off, then I'll start buying better mowers. For now it will just help to keep me profitable and to keep cash on reserve to buy equipment with cash.

larryinalabama
03-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Looks like a nice purchase on a cool machine. Ive seen the ztrs that the controls can be adjusted to walk behind them. Graeat idea just wish the commerical companies would buiold them

weve
03-03-2012, 11:44 PM
I have used a Dixie RunBehind for five years now. I use it for small yards and as a trim mower on larger accounts. For me it leaves a nicer cut than my 60 in. Dixie. The 27 hp Generac engine seldom lacks for power with the 50 in. deck. It's easy to steer and does a good job for me. I have had no engine problems.

The mounting for the stand on platform can be a problem if you get a rear tire in a hole. It will drag on the ground which can get you hung up. This machine weighs 1000 lbs so isn't that easy to push around. I usually keep a tow rope and another mower handy. For me this has happened around five times a year.

I have 815 hrs. on my RunBehind. Late last fall I put two new hydraulic wheel motors on---both left puddles of oil on my garage floor within a weeks time from leaking seals. My Dixie mechanic said that this is not uncommon at 800 hrs. on the RunBehind.

White Gardens
03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
The mounting for the stand on platform can be a problem if you get a rear tire in a hole. It will drag on the ground which can get you hung up. This machine weighs 1000 lbs so isn't that easy to push around. I usually keep a tow rope and another mower handy. For me this has happened around five times a year.

I've already got plans on either modifying the platform or installing a Jungle Jim sulky on it.

I salvaged the front end of the silver eagle I burned up a couple of years ago and would like to modify the platform so it has two casters to fall in-line with wheels on the machine.

The one wheel caster was always a problem with Grasshopper mowers and the same issues arise with one caster on the platform of the Run-Behind.

Great pics BTW! Thumbs Up

Herrick
03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd buy a stander over any kind of 'walk' behind. I'm only 33 and already figured out I'm too darn old to do that much walking anymore. I really like the looks of the ferris evolutions. I'm also seriously thinking about dropping any yards I can't get my 60 riders on this year. Work smarter, not harder, right?

Also, I tried a 36 t-bar toro for a year, nice mower, but I tore just as much turf with that as I do with the riders. Unless I'm in a huge hurry, or the ground is just saturated, the riders aren't bad on the turf at all.

Just my.02

White Gardens
05-05-2012, 01:16 AM
I made a great decision.

The Run-Behind is awesome as I had remembered. It's really boosted my production mowing wise and I love the versatility in being able to drop the platform and stand on it along with putting it up and walking when doing smaller places.

The 27 horse generac is way over-powered for the machine so knocking down 12" tall lawns is a piece of cake.

The tire size and weight is great too as I don't get any rutting on lawns.

Too bad Dixie quit making it. I hope they come out with something fairly similar someday.

On the flip-side I can see why it wasn't popular as the stander revolution was hitting about the time it came out and left, and there are a few minor flaws that couldn't be fixed with it's current setup and a completely re-designed machine would be the only answer.

pondfishr
03-16-2013, 12:11 AM
143 hours on mine 7 years old. Has not been used commercially but has always been used on slopes. Normal maintenance and its still performing well.

Richard Martin
03-16-2013, 03:09 AM
I hope it's still performing well. The engine isn't even broken in yet. That mower should go to 4,000 hours and many go past 5,000.

Jimslawncareservice
03-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Why do they make their stuff so Dang ugly. With that said it looks heavy and clumsy. Reminds a bit of a vantage or a grandstand the way the platform flips up, only uglier. That platform looks long. Might as well be mowing with a garden tractor with a snow blower out front and a cyclone rake on the back.
Posted via Mobile Device

dhardin53
03-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Glad you like your run-behind, I am looking to find one as well. So if anyone know of a decent Dixie Chopper Run-behind let me know.

To answer the age old question "Why do they make it is ugly?" It was made to work, efficiency and easy to repair and service. Every thing has it place with no extra frills. No un necessary fancy cover that just drives up the cost. But this machines was not cheap. The money they saved with no-fancy covers, special contoured gas tanks that just get in the way when serviced is money spent on better quality parts.

Witch in the end means you have more mower for your money.

OR you can spend large amount of time and material to dress up a average or good mower and sell it for the same money. It your choice.. Sorry If I offend anyone but the facts back up my opinion.

Mowingman
03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I know this is a long shot, but have you checked to see if the factory has any in storage? At one time, they had dozens, if not over a hundred, in crates, stored unsold, at the factory. Of course, by now, they may have stripped off the useable parts and sold everything else for scrap. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Glad you like your run-behind, I am looking to find one as well. So if anyone know of a decent Dixie Chopper Run-behind let me know.

To answer the age old question "Why do they make it is ugly?" It was made to work, efficiency and easy to repair and service. Every thing has it place with no extra frills. No un necessary fancy cover that just drives up the cost. But this machines was not cheap. The money they saved with no-fancy covers, special contoured gas tanks that just get in the way when serviced is money spent on better quality parts.

Witch in the end means you have more mower for your money.

OR you can spend large amount of time and material to dress up a average or good mower and sell it for the same money. It your choice.. Sorry If I offend anyone but the facts back up my opinion.

dhardin53
03-16-2013, 07:24 PM
From my research and some hear-say. When Art did the shake up over the gray deck issues, Arts son was give all the right and futures with the Run-behinds as it had been fazed out anyway, and asked to leave the day to day operation (in short he was fired). I think he is still involved in DC some who now. There was a time that my dealer offered me any remaining inventory at near cost. Then later I was told what was left in the wear house was what the son took to Indianapolis and teamed up with a guy building motorcycles with a v8 motor. But I cant find anything on them either.

weve
03-16-2013, 10:03 PM

I have one to sell that I have used for the past five years. If interested private message me. I live around 20 miles north of you.

weeze
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
every 21" mower that is self propelled is a jog behind if you run it at full speed. :laugh:

herler
03-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Yes, you are more likely to trip but that's the least of all concerns, I don't think most people realize walking behind one of these is a work out for which you need to be in some kind of shape, people are funny they don't understand how much work walking actually is, they think they can just "walk" 6 lawns like all casual, but these commercial machines will work you harder than a gymnasium treadmill set to "military" pace.

On one tank of gas, mower like that will run ALL day and I mean you start it at 8am and maybe it runs out of gas around 5p but I can assure you by then it will have run you out of ass three times.

I'll put one of my 5-speeds in 4th gear and you are more than welcome to come try and "walk" behind it, now in the early spring 4-5 normal sized lawns isn't too awful but on a 90-degree day I don't expect you to make it much past the first yard or two, better pack a lunch and grab a sombrero, Pancho.

Mower like that has more power, speed, and weight than two or three of us do.
It will pull your truck out of a ditch.

So either better start out slow, or get a sulky.
Like 2nd, or 3rd gear on a transmission, we're talking maybe 3 miles per hour.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Yes, you are more likely to trip but that's the least of all concerns, I don't think most people realize walking behind one of these is a work out for which you need to be in some kind of shape, people are funny they don't understand how much work walking actually is and they think they can just "walk" 6 lawns in a day like all casual, maybe with a 21" but these commercial things will work you harder than a gymnasium treadmill.

I'll put one of my 5-speeds in 4th gear and you are more than welcome to come try and "walk" behind it, now in the early spring 4-5 normal sized lawns isn't too awful but on a 90-degree day I don't expect you to make it much past the first yard or two.

Mower like that has more power, speed, and weight than three of us do.
It will pull your truck out of a ditch.

So either better start out slow, or get a sulky.
Like 2nd, or 3rd gear on a transmission, we're talking maybe 3 miles per hour.

I tested a trimstar in high gear you better be ready to run with it

herler
03-17-2013, 03:21 AM
I tested a trimstar in high gear you better be ready to run with it

Right, and most folks wouldn't make it 10 minutes 'running' around a yard.
A commercial mower in high gear will wear out most folks in a tiny front yard alone.
Three minutes flat and they're bent over with one hand holding on for balance, can't hardly catch their breath.
They'd be better off hitching themselves up to a dogsled to go race the Iditarod, as one of the dogs.
By the time they're done in back, they're also about done for the day.
Pretty much, and even if they're good for another they sure ain't doing 5 or 10 yards that way.

I'm serious, you have to be in really good shape to go walking a commercial mower.
I know some guys do, but not in high gear.
Better start training come Monday.

yardguy28
03-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Have a chance to pick up a Dixie Run-Behind. One I used to use when I worked for the previous company selling it.

All I remember is that the thing was awesome, but didn't know what the general public thought of them before they were discontinued.

seems a lot the vantage or grandstand.

they both have platforms you can raise to use the mower as a walkbehind.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Right, and most folks wouldn't make it 10 minutes 'running' around a yard.
A commercial mower in high gear will wear out most folks in a tiny front yard alone.
Three minutes flat and they're bent over with one hand holding on for balance, can't hardly catch their breath.
They'd be better off hitching themselves up to a dogsled to go race the Iditarod, as one of the dogs.
By the time they're done in back, they're also about done for the day.
Pretty much, and even if they're good for another they sure ain't doing 5 or 10 yards that way.

I'm serious, you have to be in really good shape to go walking a commercial mower.
I know some guys do, but not in high gear.
Better start training come Monday.
I don't have a WB but do have a Power Rake that thing will drag you around .
Better have a bottle of monkey butt on hand :laugh:

Groomer
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I seriously thought this thread was another sarcastic one.... little do I know. You guys really run this stuff that looks like it was built for the military? too funny. It almost looks like some kinda road work/highway grader with all those levers and iron. but hey, if it works for you... (I'd be awful tempted to paint it in camo, though.)

dhardin53
03-19-2013, 01:05 AM
I messaged you weve very interested.