PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered the JOHN DEERE Z925A EFI 60"

frameslawn
03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the recent advice on this model. I should have it by the end of the month. I will post some info about the EFI as soon as I get it, since it is such a new unit and there is not alot of information out there about it yet. Thanks again!!!

MJB
03-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks for all the recent advice on this model. I should have it by the end of the month. I will post some info about the EFI as soon as I get it, since it is such a new unit and there is not alot of information out there about it yet. Thanks again!!!

Great Choice! Looking forward to fuel usage.

mrmower
03-03-2012, 01:15 AM
congrats on new purchase. i cant wait to hear some reviews

GoldStarMowing
03-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Great purchase! I've really been looking for some first hand real user reviews of the 925 EFI. Make sure to post some pics when you get it!

frameslawn
03-03-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks and as soon as it gets here I will start my full review!!!!!!

scotts lawn care
03-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Congrats on your purchase of the new EFI z! Hope it improves your efficiency.

On a side note - how do you like your 07' & 11' duramax? Hows the fuel economy?

I had a new 09' duramax and traded it after three months for my 04' to get better fuel usage. thanks for the info!

A to Z Roof Cleaning
03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Congrats, looking forward to hearing your review of it!

drakewylde
03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
If you don't mind me asking what kind of a deal did you end up getting on your new rig?

whaler's Mow-Town
03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
that was the ? I was wondering....How Much? I have my cash stacked up and I am waiting on like 1200 bucks to pull the trigger on a Z920a MOD. I think I am going to order it this week tho.....takes 20 days to get it in.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-03-2012, 04:10 PM
oh yea...a 48" Z920a MOD cost me 10,415 out the door......I just got the sale prices in on most of the seasons mowers and it seemed comparable.

Ridin' Green
03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Congrats on your new mower! Pics are mandatory when you get it. You do know that right?:usflag:

frameslawn
03-03-2012, 08:25 PM
As far as price is concerned, it was $9,990 flat with a suspension seat installed, however I also ordered another Z925A 54" Standard Pro Deck (NON-EFI) so I qualified for Green Fleet Discount since I was purchasing more than one unit on the same invoice. Green Fleet took an additionial 4% off both mowers, so the EFI model ended up costing me $9590.40. Scott, I really like both my Duramax's, I have one 6.0L gas 2500HD and I cant wait to gid rid of it for another Duramax. As far as fuel economy they both do well, but I think the 2011 is slightly better. I avg about 22mpg on the highway empty and 14-15 in town pulling 10K trailer. The new DEF on the 2011 is a pain, but it has alot more power (stock to stock) than the 2007, and its not worth losing the warranty to remove it. As soon as the EFI is in I will post several pictures and begin my full review.

weeze
03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
yes all new mower purchases are required to have pics and reviews posted. it's in the forum rules. :D

burnsyscapes
03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
what mpg you getting on that 6.0L? on mine i average around 8 pulling a trailer and its kicking my ***

frameslawn
03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
My 6.0L is a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab 4X4 and the MPG is not the greatest. At least it is mated with the 6 speed transmission, which helps to a certain extent, but I am at best getting 11-12 pulling a 10K trailer and thats on a good day. Its a nice truck but its no Duramax, but its $10,000 cheaper too. :nono:

burnsyscapes
03-03-2012, 10:57 PM
yeah i am only pulling a zz830a and a 36 inch mower and it sucks, does have plenty power, pulled 14k with it one day, but i cant take the mpg on it anymore. you have anytihng done to it? yeah not a fan of the tranny, just got it replaced at 80k

SDLandscapes VT
03-04-2012, 01:38 AM
Congrats on the mower

I have two 6.0L GM a 3500HD and a 2500HD both with the 6 speed trannys

3500HD = 8 mpg almost always--highway, loaded, unloaded, trailer--10K trailer loaded less more like 6

2500HD = 11 mpg ALWAYS

When we purchased these trucks--taking into consideration the mpg difference, our driving habits delta pricing between diesel and gas @ 150K miles we would have broken even on the original price and I don't plan on keeping them that long

TLS
03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Good luck with the JD EFI.

Keep us posted on the gal/hr

Still scratch my head as to why JD went with the 25hp and not the 29hp?

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Good luck with the JD EFI.

Keep us posted on the gal/hr

Still scratch my head as to why JD went with the 25hp and not the 29hp?

Actually, it is a 27, not a 25.

My guess for that though is they are testing the waters to see how they sell, and will be adding in higher HP models down the road. Too, a 27 HP doesn't scare off potential customers as easily as a higher HP number with todays fuel prices.

jackal
03-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a 930a with a 60 mod thats 29 hp. If you want to mulch leaves you'll want the higher hp.

TLS
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
JD doesn't offer the 29hp EFI

weeze
03-04-2012, 05:19 PM
i side discharge cutting leaves with my 26hp kawi engine. it works just as well as mulching if not better because you don't have to worry about it bogging down on you.

frameslawn
03-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Do you guys think that was a reasonable price for the EFI???

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 06:43 PM

I'd say it was pretty good.

GoldStarMowing
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM

I'd say that price was perfect for a 925 EFI and non-EFI 925. The sticker is around 13,000-14,000 from JD right? So you did pretty good.

jackal
03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
JD doesn't offer the 29hp EFI

Mine is not fuel injected. But it is 29 hp.

burnsyscapes
03-04-2012, 10:39 PM
jd's prices online are little high compared to when you go to a dealer. my dealer quoted me 10,500 for the efi. seemed a little high for me.

frameslawn
03-05-2012, 12:32 AM
John Deere prices online are about a joke. They are normally off by 20-25 % from what the dealers are selling units for.

GoldStarMowing
03-05-2012, 01:57 AM
jd's prices online are little high compared to when you go to a dealer. my dealer quoted me 10,500 for the efi. seemed a little high for me.

You might be able to go a tad lower on price for the EFI, depends on the deck option, your location, and the amount of tractors your dealer sells too. I've seen people pay around 11,000 for a non-EFI MOD and be okay with it.

John Deere prices online are about a joke. They are normally off by 20-25 % from what the dealers are selling units for.

No kidding, talk about sticker shock. :dizzy:

Ridin' Green
03-05-2012, 02:13 AM
My dealer just quoted me $9730.61 OTD for a 2012 Z925 EFI with 60" std deck.

If I had to pay Deere's "suggested" prices, I wouldn't. I kind of believe that when guys come on this site and claim how expensive green paint is, they are going by Deere's suggested prices and not real world pricing. Real world, Deere is very competitive, at least in my area.

GoldStarMowing
03-05-2012, 02:55 AM
My dealer just quoted me $9730.61 OTD for a 2012 Z925 EFI with 60" std deck.

If I had to pay Deere's "suggested" prices, I wouldn't. I kind of believe that when guys come on this site and claim how expensive green paint is, they are going by Deere's suggested prices and not real world pricing. Real world, Deere is very competitive, at least in my area.

Same here. Deere is right with the rest of the manufactures prices and I have 3 Deere dealers with in a 20 minute drive of my house which is fantastic when it comes to getting the best price and getting parts when needed.

I'm looking at possibly picking up a 910A and the dealer quoted me $7,600 w/54" deck. I paid mid to low $8,000 for the 2010 920A w/54" I have now.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I was giving thought to the 910a but the horsepower makes me think otherwise. I have owned a couple of JD's that had what I would consider borderline HP deficient motors. I wont go there again and I will always lean to a little more. Especially since they are dumbing down all the HP ratings....that 22 is now a 20 or a 19.5. Umm no thank you.

frameslawn
03-06-2012, 10:03 PM
This is true, but "dumbing down all the HP ratings" doesnt change anything at all with the output of the engine from then to now. It is the same exact engine, it just gets in your head lol.

GardnerLawn
03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
i almost pulled the trigger on the 925efi 54mod last week but really wanted a review first. im currently running an 05 757 60mod. i really need the mulching deck so on the efi i would have to sacrifice 6inches to get the deck but i really want more hp than 27. mine now it 25 and i feel like 2more isnt enough. i really want to get a quicktrak too just dunno if i can swing both bc then ill prob want another trailer as well. cant make up my mind! i got quoted 10000 i wanna say on the 925efi 54mod.

Ridin' Green
03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
This is true, but "dumbing down all the HP ratings" doesnt change anything at all with the output of the engine from then to now. It is the same exact engine, it just gets in your head lol.

That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

If people would simply look at it like the old number was the gross HP, and the new is the net HP, no one would be worried, because that's just about exactly what it amounted to then, and what it amounts to now. But no, now that 29 horse engine is suddenly a weak sister that can barely pull itself downhill with its paltry 25.5 HP. :hammerhead:

GoldStarMowing
03-06-2012, 10:29 PM

Good point. All the horse power ratings are, "provided by the engine manufacturer, actual operating horse power will be less," to quote JD. My 920a has plenty of power for the 54" it's never bogged down on me before. I've read some user reviews about the 910a and all that have used them said they were a little worried at first about the 22hp and 54" combo but it seems to be enough power for that deck.

On a side note, i've still got my 03 LX280 (1500+ hours now) which is an 18hp w/48" and it's had plenty of power so I'd say 4 more hp would be good enough to power another 6" of deck.

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
We purchased a 925EFI with 54" MOD and a clam shell JD collection system last year for around 12,500. The fuel usage was averaging around 1.2 gallons per hour when I checked it. But, I noticed that the machine was loosing alot of power on hills or if the collection system was attached. John Deere actually has possession of it right now to try and figure out what's goin on. I like the unit alot, but will like it alot more if they can figure out what's causing the very noticeable loss in power.

frameslawn
03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Did this power loss just suddenly start happening or was this lack of power on hills and running the collection system noticeable from day 1???

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Did this power loss just suddenly start happening or was this lack of power on hills and running the collection system noticeable from day 1???

The loss in power was noticeable from day one. The 737 I sold before I purchased this unit actually had more torque. It's like the EFI can't recover quick enough when the motor is loaded and this is one of the things Deere said it would do. They are trying to figure out why?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
oh yea...a 48" Z920a MOD cost me 10,415 out the door......I just got the sale prices in on most of the seasons mowers and it seemed comparable.

Holy sweet mama, a 48" Z for over 10K? Should be able to knock $3K to $4K off that.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Holy sweet mama, a 48" Z for over 10K? Should be able to knock $3K to $4K off that.

ya know.... I am under the same impression and I have CASH. I was told by a Bad Boy dealer in the forum that he has a buddy that owns a buncha John Deere Dealerships and he was going to get me a price. I have a hunch that the prices he got were closer to what I have been quoted.

I have searched around the country and it still comes out almost the same way after I get it shipped in. I was thoroughly under the impression I would draw a better deal with cash but I guess not :hammerhead:

I really wish I had a close friend that owned a John Deere dealership

weeze
03-07-2012, 12:05 AM
i got my 54" for $8k but it's not efi. efi is expensive.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-07-2012, 12:19 AM
I coulda been out the door for 9.4k for the regular deck but I really want the MOD....it makes sense for what I am doing. I wanted a bigger deck but I have too many areas that I can only reach with a 48" deck.

To be honest....I am only shucking out about half the money for it so its really no big deal. A couple of my really big accounts kicked me half of the dough for the mower....I earned the money but they made it really easy :)

I will say about the HP ratings....yes the motors are still what the motors are what the motors are what the motors are......they still do what they do.... your still getting only what your getting.

I just get the idea that if John Deere wanted to put 23.5hp motors on their mowers.....they would put 23.5hp motors on their mowers.....not 25hp motors. Or what the motors hp ratings are dumbed down to now.

Ridin' Green
03-07-2012, 01:38 AM
I coulda been out the door for 9.4k for the regular deck but I really want the MOD....it makes sense for what I am doing. I wanted a bigger deck but I have too many areas that I can only reach with a 48" deck.

To be honest....I am only shucking out about half the money for it so its really no big deal. A couple of my really big accounts kicked me half of the dough for the mower....I earned the money but they made it really easy :)

I will say about the HP ratings....yes the motors are still what the motors are what the motors are what the motors are......they still do what they do.... your still getting only what your getting.

I just get the idea that if John Deere wanted to put 23.5hp motors on their mowers.....they would put 23.5hp motors on their mowers.....not 25hp motors. Or what the motors hp ratings are dumbed down to now.

It wasn't really up to Deere, or any of the other manufacturer's what the plate on the engine said. Deere bought what the engine manu's rated as 25 HP engines to use as a 25 HP engines, and so did everyone else. No one was intentionally misleading any customers other than the engine manu's themselves. Now that Kawi has set the std, they are all falling in line with the new system. Kohler may not have it on their site just yet, but if you go to Deere's site and look up the 925 EFI with the Kohler engine, it now says 24.9 HP instead of 27, which backs up what I posted in the thread I started the other day about Kohler switching rating systems.

The engines aren't dumbed down either. They still have the exact same power they always did, only now, they are being rated correctly and accurately for a change. A 27 HP Deere will do exactly what it always did when everyone thought it was 27 HP.:)

TLS
03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
I guess my point was....

Out of all the 747cc EFI offerings from Kohler...why didn't Deere choose the most powerfu versionl?

whaler's Mow-Town
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
It wasn't really up to Deere, or any of the other manufacturer's what the plate on the engine said. Deere bought what the engine manu's rated as 25 HP engines to use as a 25 HP engines, and so did everyone else. No one was intentionally misleading any customers other than the engine manu's themselves. Now that Kawi has set the std, they are all falling in line with the new system. Kohler may not have it on their site just yet, but if you go to Deere's site and look up the 925 EFI with the Kohler engine, it now says 24.9 HP instead of 27, which backs up what I posted in the thread I started the other day about Kohler switching rating systems.

The engines aren't dumbed down either. They still have the exact same power they always did, only now, they are being rated correctly and accurately for a change. A 27 HP Deere will do exactly what it always did when everyone thought it was 27 HP.:)

I understand JD didnt make or rate the motors. I understand it does not change anything about the motor, it changes what the motor manufacturer was telling us about the motor. I applaud them for doing so, honesty is the only thing thats gonna save you here and now.

My point is (and it might as well be mute point with these gas guzzlers): Nobody wants to find out your equipment is less of a product than you thought it was yesterday, but when ya tell everyone that your selling them bananas and they really cant tell that they are plantains.... you are gotta backtrack a little and tell everyone about how great plantains are.

No worries....I am still gonna buy a 900 series JD gas guzzler.....I am just glad they came out with the truth before I plunked the money down.

trooper8870
03-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Ok -- Here it is. My 925A EFI with 54" MOD is very weak. John Deere looked at it and replaced some type of senser on it but it did not help anything. If you are mulching or collecting, you may want to skip this model and buy a larger HP engine. I guess I will go today and buy a Z950 so that I will have a unit that can handle mulching and collecting duties. Too bad they don't have a smaller diesel version--dang it!!!!!!

whaler's Mow-Town
03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Ok -- Here it is. My 925A EFI with 54" MOD is very weak. John Deere looked at it and replaced some type of senser on it but it did not help anything. If you are mulching or collecting, you may want to skip this model and buy a larger HP engine. I guess I will go today and buy a Z950 so that I will have a unit that can handle mulching and collecting duties. Too bad they don't have a smaller diesel version--dang it!!!!!!

Not the kinda news I really wanna hear but I got no worries because the MOD for me is more about safety rather than mulching. I dont plan to collect either. I have a couple of properties that put me right in line with windows or cars and I am hoping this helps somewhat.

trooper8870
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Not the kinda news I really wanna hear but I got no worries because the MOD for me is more about safety rather than mulching. I dont plan to collect either. I have a couple of properties that put me right in line with windows or cars and I am hoping this helps somewhat.

I just posted in another thread concerning your potential purchase. It should do ok for you then. The MOD deck is great for having the option to shut the discharge chute off when needed around buildings, people and vehicles.