PDA

View Full Version : What step of renovation process to take soil test?

tlc1994
03-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Plan on renovating my lawn in the future, and I wanted to know during what step of the process is the ideal time to take a sample. By this, I mean: should I take a sample prior to killing/removing the dead, patchy grass, or is it better to way until all the soil has been tilled and (if it were hypathetically prepared soil) ready to seed? Thanks for the input.

Smallaxe
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I always concern myself with soil texture when tilling... If there is a need for ammendments to get the testure correct, then if you want a soil test do it after that... Of course a mix that is 'high' or 'low' in ammendments may not give you the correct results... :)

Kiril
03-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Get your soil test done now, BEFORE you start doing anything.

andersman02
03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Personally i would do it before as either way your going to be taking the soil test from the SOIL not from the existing grass. The main reason people till is to mix the soil and promote decomposition of organic matter. If you till it then take a test there will not be any difference unless you till it, wait a month and THEN take the test. Take 5 samples throughout the lawn, about a cup each to a depth of 2-4 inches (around the depth of the roots) mix in a bag and take a cup of the composite sample to send off to the tester.

Another thing is if you till it then send, youll be waiting a week or so which will give your nicely tilled lawn time to have all those nasty weed seeds germinate.

just my 2 cents