PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn Seeding

Stonegate Designs
03-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Need a little ok a lot of help on this one. I got my first call to bid a job on my own and itís a big one. Seeding new lawn in northern Indiana approx. 100,000 square feet, full sun needs some prep work I have no idea how to bid this any help would be great. Donít wanna drop the ball on this one the customer has more landscaping to do besides the seeding.

Thanks

Andy Dickey

jbell36
03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
depends on the prep work...100,000 is a huge area...i would suggest renting a bobcat with the "soil conditioner" attachment or something of the sort for the prep work...they also have a slice seeder attachment that i would suggest for that large of an area...doing a soil test would help too but it just depends on how deep you wanna go with prep work

Stonegate Designs
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a tractor with a 5' tiller and a tank spreader and soil tester. Looking for an approx price per square ft. or overall labor cost.

jbell36
03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
i haven't done any that big, we are more set up for the smaller (15,000 or less) residential yards where we get pretty in depth on what we do...if i were to stick with that pricing i would be well over $5K, but that is obviously not very accurate for this situation...if all you are doing is lightly tilling and seeding then find an hourly rate that works well...maybe $75-100/hour plus the cost of seed...i would find what guys in your area are charging for tractor work, it's usually an hourly rate...

bigslick7878
03-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Do they have irrigation?

agrostis
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
If you don't want to drop the ball on this then seed in the fall. That's the proper time to do this.

Smallaxe
03-04-2012, 09:26 AM
There is no way I would invest in a brand new lawn, in full sun, that is that large...

If after all the prep work is done AND the irrigation is installed AND it is still early April AND the client has low expectations, then maybe...

But realistically, do it properly or don't do it at all... JMO

RigglePLC
03-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Its just good business. Convince an inexperienced guy to bid low...because...he may get lucrative work in the future.

Needs prep work. That is vague--how much prep work? And who decides how much is enough?

Fall is best. Do the prep work and seed in August when the temps come down to about 85. Fast germination when the soil is warmest of the year. Fall rains help--but not guaranteed. Do not put yourself in the position of guaranteeing anything ...especially that seed will come up even if it doesn't rain.

It is best to accept the check just before beginning to sow seed. If he pays slow you could take a haircut.