PDA

View Full Version : Another truck advice thread

93Chevy
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Went to test drive this truck today...AWESOME. Good price and low miles. Recent injector/turbo work. Engine, tranny, brakes, and steering all felt really good on the road.

http://choiceautosalesonline.com/newandusedcars/0/1322538/4ae06715-42ad-4c3e-9bfd-2b842591dc4d/none/2003-Ford-F250SD-Murrysville-PA-15668.aspx

I mean, I know want the truck and I'm basically looking for positive feedback, but any concerns you might have?

My mechanic buddy came with me and was very impressed and urged me to snag it because of the low miles.

mikeylikesit5805
03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
That is a good deal. I would jump on it. what was it used for before? always run the car fax.

hosejockey2002
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't touch a 2003 6.0 unless it already had the expensive and numerous mods required to make it reliable. I know 5 or 6 guys with that motor and 1 has been trouble free for 150,000 miles and the others have been money pits. How lucky do you feel?

93Chevy
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't touch a 2003 6.0 unless it already had the expensive and numerous mods required to make it reliable. I know 5 or 6 guys with that motor and 1 has been trouble free for 150,000 miles and the others have been money pits. How lucky do you feel?

It's had injectors replaced and the turbo recirculation pipe (or whatever it is) replaced within the last 1000 miles by a very reputable Pittsburgh diesel tech shop.

Plus it's only got 67k, so I wouldn't be at 150k for another 5 years or so.

dz302
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
A 6.)o , your making a big mistake. I friend bought one brand new and talk about a nightmare. Run , don't walk away.

dz302
03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
A 6.0 Ford !!! Your making a huge mistake. A close friend bought one brand new and talk about a nightmare, he quickly found out he was far from alone . Run , don't walk away.

93Chevy
03-03-2012, 08:13 PM
What kind of engine mods should I look at? EGR delete and tuner are in the works....possibly...if everything works out.

jsslawncare
03-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm a die hard Ford man and there's no way I'd buy that peace of junk. No diesel with that many miles should have to have injector work. (except the good 'ol 6.0L) I would wait on the new 6.7L too. Don't buy the Duramax either. (Isuzu junk) If it were me I would buy a Cummins with a NV4500 trans. I would prefer to buy the Ford, put a 6bt Cummins in it with an Allison transmission. <- this truck would be bullet proof. It wouldn't be that big a deal to do, but I love working on cars.

93Chevy
03-03-2012, 09:31 PM
So what everybody is saying is that I might be better with a '99 7.3L?

I know the 7.3 is a good engine, but I know a couple guys with no 6.0 problems.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=307783180&dealer_id=849851&car_year=1999&doors=Four+Door&model=F250&pager.offset=100&search_lang=en&only_photo=1&start_year=1999&body_style=TRUCKS&search_type=both&distance=200&rdm=1330822575787&drive=4+wheel+drive&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=Diesel&sownerid=566807&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2013&showZipError=y&make2=FORD&dma=PITTSBURGH_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=32&first_record=101&isFlashPlugin=true&default_sort=priceASC&address=15044&sort_type=priceASC&model2=F350&max_price=20000&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=63&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

jsslawncare
03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
So what everybody is saying is that I might be better with a '99 7.3L?

I know the 7.3 is a good engine, but I know a couple guys with no 6.0 problems.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=307783180&dealer_id=849851&car_year=1999&doors=Four+Door&model=F250&pager.offset=100&search_lang=en&only_photo=1&start_year=1999&body_style=TRUCKS&search_type=both&distance=200&rdm=1330822575787&drive=4+wheel+drive&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=Diesel&sownerid=566807&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2013&showZipError=y&make2=FORD&dma=PITTSBURGH_NO&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=32&first_record=101&isFlashPlugin=true&default_sort=priceASC&address=15044&sort_type=priceASC&model2=F350&max_price=20000&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=63&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Yes. I would agree with that.

DQL10
03-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Great deal! And a 6.0 is not a bad motor. Just needs some work to make it bulletproof. As long as you take care of it and keep up on the maintenance items like synthetic oil and motorcraft filters, fuel filters, etc. you should be fine. Make sure you get an OASIS report from a ford dealer to see what has been done to the motor. But dont let these guys scare you from the 6.0L. There are many forums on the powerstroke that have great advice. Good luck!

LindblomRJ
03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
I'd go with the 7.3 long before I'd even think about a 6.0.

DoetschOutdoor
03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Only 67k miles and its already had the motor worked....that should be all the sign you need to pass on that truck. Price is not that good either for a truck thats already 9 years old because really the low mileage proves nothing at all since its already needed work.

93Chevy
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the advice guys...I'm going to check out a 7.3 this Saturday. I'm not in a hurry for a truck by any means, but I'm on the market and want to explore my options.

I'm probably going to pass on the 6.0 truck because of the reasons above and it's a little high on my price range as of right now.

Just hard to pass up a 67k truck of only $17 grand.

K&L Landscaping
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
It's hard to defend the '03 & '04 6.0 Powerstrokes. However, '05-'07 are rock solid engines. Really too bad that the early 6.0's spoiled what really became a good engine in it's last 3 years of production.

unkownfl
03-05-2012, 04:16 PM
The one in my sign is a 2006 6.0. I worked for a company that had a fleet of 04 6.0 and everyone had major problems. Some had the total engine replaced others puked up all the oil into the coolant right onto some expensive paver roads in Naples, FL. Then almost all of them had the head gasket issue and injectors going bad. If I wouldn't have bought my lariat 6.0 for the same price for the same f150 options I wouldn't have bought it. I had three issues with mine all under 50k miles and each time paid the 100 deductible for the powerstroke warranty. Each time were for oil leaks front and rear seal and oil pressure sending unit. I would save my money and use it for the extra gas in a gas truck. Older diesels are way better pre powerstrokes are the best unless you want to switch brands.

93Chevy
03-05-2012, 06:24 PM
The one in my sign is a 2006 6.0. I worked for a company that had a fleet of 04 6.0 and everyone had major problems. Some had the total engine replaced others puked up all the oil into the coolant right onto some expensive paver roads in Naples, FL. Then almost all of them had the head gasket issue and injectors going bad. If I wouldn't have bought my lariat 6.0 for the same price for the same f150 options I wouldn't have bought it. I had three issues with mine all under 50k miles and each time paid the 100 deductible for the powerstroke warranty. Each time were for oil leaks front and rear seal and oil pressure sending unit. I would save my money and use it for the extra gas in a gas truck. Older diesels are way better pre powerstrokes are the best unless you want to switch brands.

Pre-powerstrokes? You mean the 7.3 and 7.5 IDI non-turbos? I know their good engines, but I don't want the problems associated with a 20 year old truck.

I'm looking to upgrade my '95 K2500 to a diesel crew cab for a personal truck. I'm not partial to any brand in particular, I just want to be aware of any major problems I want this next truck to last me a long time...5-7-10 years, something like that. But comparable mileage Powerstroke trucks are cheaper than Duramaxes and Cummins.

unkownfl
03-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Yes like the 6.9idi and 7.3idi. You can still find clean ones for a good price. They powerstrokes maybe cheaper but I think in the long run you will dump the money into it anyways. The cummins is a good truck with the right transmission. They durmax is ok but I'm sure you probably know what years had the bad injectors. I replaced the injectors in one and you have to buy all new lines so it was about 1200 in parts I believe dealer only.

corbster
03-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Great deal! And a 6.0 is not a bad motor. Just needs some work to make it bulletproof. As long as you take care of it and keep up on the maintenance items like synthetic oil and motorcraft filters, fuel filters, etc. you should be fine. Make sure you get an OASIS report from a ford dealer to see what has been done to the motor. But dont let these guys scare you from the 6.0L. There are many forums on the powerstroke that have great advice. Good luck!

Nicely Said ! .... "Removed" so I don't upset the girls. ...:p:p:p

mowerbrad
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Just out of curiosity...why are you set on a diesel? When I was orginally looking at newer trucks, I was dead set on getting a duramax...ended up getting a gas vortec.

A couple things I learned during my long quest in finding a truck....

As far as diesel trucks go, there are a few that stand out to me. The 99-03 powerstroke 7.3L diesels seem to be pretty well received and a reliable engine (and one that is not too terribly expensive to work on compared to some other diesels). The '03-'04 6.0L powerstrokes had most of the problems reported, the '05-'06 ones seem to be better and have fewer problems and be an all around decent engine. With GM's, the duramax engines are nice (quiet and powerful) but expensive to work on when they break (like most diesels however). The '01-'04 duramax trucks are notorious for their injector problems, I would stay away from them. The '04.5 and newer duramax engines (up until 06 or 07) were quite good. Almost any model diesel engine you find will have some quork (sp?) to it or something that it is notorious for.

I was only looking at Fords and GM's. The biggest difference I found between the powerstroke and duramax engines is that the duramax trucks are FAST! Driveing a duramax is kind of like driving a sports car when compared to a powerstroke. Both seemed to have similar power though when driving.

I do hope you realize that you will be spending more to maintain a diesel truck. Yes the diesels do have some great advantages when putting lots of miles on the truck regularly or when you plan on towing heavy loads, but outside of those things, you will not see the advantages of a diesel.

You are looking at older trucks too. Don't forget that there is quite a bit more to vehicles besides just the engine. Yes the engine can last 300k with minimal problems, but you will also need to think about the tranny, steering components, suspension, etc. And on a '99 truck, that's a 13 year old truck, plenty of stuff could need repairing (or it could be set for a little bit).

I do suggest considering gas trucks, especially if this is going to be a personal truck. I know that by purchasing a gas truck I was able to afford a newer truck and one with fewer miles and a few more bells and whistles.

I definately suggest looking around and test driving all different kinds. See which ones feel the best to you. It will help you narrow down your choices.

Good luck in finding a new truck!

93Chevy
03-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Brad...I appreciate your comments :waving:

I'm dead set on a diesel because I've always wanted a diesel and I'm at the financial point where I can at least consider buying a diesel...even if I may have to wait another year or so afford the one I want. Some guys like to buy guns, some like to surf, whatever. I want a nice diesel truck.

And I have a '95 K2500 now...so I'm well acquainted with the non-engine problems of an older truck...wheel bearings, radiators, axles, etc. I've put all that stuff into my other trucks so I know what to expect as far as that.

The '03 I originally posted is out of my current range and the '99 I posted is sold.

I went to test out a Duramax today...freaking sweet engine. Threw me back in the seat accelerating at 40. The truck itself was a little worn and I decided to pass...doors were stiff and engine was dirty...just didn't have a good feeling about it.

But I'm not in any hurry...I'm just taking my time and driving 1 or 2 trucks every weekend.