PDA

View Full Version : Walker Gear Box

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-03-2012, 09:38 PM
My left gear box that spins the blade is leaking grease. I noticed the other day that there was a puddle of grease on the deck so I cleaned it up and then today its back. So that means its leaking or cracked or whatever. If this is the case, should I just replace it or see if there is a gasket or some thing that's worn. Machine is a 2006 and has 1200 hours, IDK if its the original ones as I bought the machine used. Also I looked on ebay and I see there is a company that is selling cast iron ones, anybody have any luck with these or should I just stick with the regular ones. Hes a link to the cast iron ones. Also is it better to just go ahead and change all three which im replacing one or just do the one. How hard is it? Do they come preset to be in time with the other one. I have the 36 in ghs deck. Enough questions let me see what advice I can get on here lol. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Mower-HEAVY-DUTY-GEAR-BOX-KIT-48-GHS-/110826885668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cdcc1224#ht_500wt_1413

One more, these say 48, but do they specially make gear boxes per deck size, or just one gear for all walker ghs decks

KrayzKajun
03-03-2012, 09:45 PM
you need to put the crap bucket mower on craigslist and buy something else. lol

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-03-2012, 09:47 PM
psh whatever. this thing is a beast. just like anything you buy new you put a little bit of money into it and its just as good.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-03-2012, 09:49 PM
i cut a yard to today where it was about 8 inches tall and a lil wet from the "rain" last night. IDK about you, I didnt hear any rain lol. But it was a little wet and I just took my time and only cut it ones and it never clogged and it didnt leave one blade standing and left an amazing cut. Im sold on walker haha. No mower out there would have do that if you bag. If you discharge it would have looked like crap and if you mulched you would have had a mess and also needed to double cut at least.

KrayzKajun
03-03-2012, 09:53 PM
i cut 16 yards today. 5 of them in a nice steady rain. my lazer z didnt miss a beat.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-03-2012, 10:32 PM
o lol. i didnt catch any ran today just a real light sprinkle. you dont bag tho. i have always loved the look of a bagged yard. what deck you got on your lazer. im thinkin my next deck will be a 48

KrayzKajun
03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
o lol. i didnt catch any ran today just a real light sprinkle. you dont bag tho. i have always loved the look of a bagged yard. what deck you got on your lazer. im thinkin my next deck will be a 48

Lazer is an 07' w/ 46" deck 19hp kawi. i want a 60" to speed things up on my big yards.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-04-2012, 12:10 AM
anybody know the answers to my questions

green jeans 509
03-04-2012, 03:07 AM
My left gear box that spins the blade is leaking grease. I noticed the other day that there was a puddle of grease on the deck so I cleaned it up and then today its back. So that means its leaking or cracked or whatever. If this is the case, should I just replace it or see if there is a gasket or some thing that's worn. Machine is a 2006 and has 1200 hours, IDK if its the original ones as I bought the machine used. Also I looked on ebay and I see there is a company that is selling cast iron ones, anybody have any luck with these or should I just stick with the regular ones. Hes a link to the cast iron ones. Also is it better to just go ahead and change all three which im replacing one or just do the one. How hard is it? Do they come preset to be in time with the other one. I have the 36 in ghs deck. Enough questions let me see what advice I can get on here lol. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Mower-HEAVY-DUTY-GEAR-BOX-KIT-48-GHS-/110826885668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cdcc1224#ht_500wt_1413

One more, these say 48, but do they specially make gear boxes per deck size, or just one gear for all walker ghs decks

they make gaskets sealers for those gearboxes i'd just go that route I think 30-50 is what they run for a kit. You shouldnt have to and i wouldnt replace the whole thing thatd set ya back almost 1k. At 1200 hrs im surprised your having any problems this is just the begining trust me. Id call and check with the dealer in your area about deck sizes im pretty sure there different sizes. hope it helps at all

electric
03-04-2012, 01:47 PM
All the gear boxes are the same part number. If you don't believe that just look at walkers web site on parts manuals. The only one that is different is the center T box for reverse rotation decks. Better off going with cast iron. You will need to time them to opposite one anouther. Easier to remove the entire assembly from deck to replace just your end box. Refill so top shaft in box is submerged with gear oil. Only listen to walker owners when advice Is needed or given.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
03-04-2012, 07:03 PM
If it is a seal you are very lucky. Normally it is a cracked gear case resulting from hitting something big with the blade. Look carefully near all the screws for cracks. They are easy to get apart but don't forget that they are timed so kinda tricky when put it back together.

Nes-Tech
03-04-2012, 07:27 PM
There is only 3 spots it can be leaking that are repairable.
1) The bottom seal part, cheap and simple repair.
2) The top plate really simple and cheap!
3) The most likely spot is the gasket where the side tube attaches to the gear box. The bolts sometimes back out and cause a leak. Gasket is very in-expensive but a little more work to take apart and repair.
***Use blue locktight on the bolts***
***make SURE you time the gear box correctly with the splines***
Mark @ Nes-Tech

P.S. If it is a cracked gear box, just replace the whole thing with a aluminium or cast iron. They are interchangable.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
are the cast iron ones stronger. i can get all three for 545 before shipping i think shipping was like 15-30 dollars

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Can anybody tell me how to time the gear boxes correctly. I did a good search and turned up nothing. I even looked on the owners manual and i didnt see anything. I thinking I'm leaning towards just replacing the gear boxes because i read up some more and i read if its leaking on the top of the deck its usually a cracked gear box. I know I havnt hit anything hard since Ive had it, but I bought it used so there's no telling.

Nes-Tech
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
The Cast Iron Boxes are considered an upgrade and stronger. For Model year 2012 it is the standard gear box on new decks from Walker.

Nes-Tech
03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Remove the entire gear boxes as an aysembly. The drive hubs for the blades need to be alligned 90 degrees opposite each other. ( -- | ) This is easy to see once removed and on a bench.