PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Striping Kit

Green Shine
03-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Hello I have a toro 50" z i purchased toro's striping kit but it does a fair job.. now I've seen some companys have very bright lines im wondering on What is the best ! and worth money ...mine is the bolt on back of the deck and its a thick piece of leather I saw the plastic wheel that is allmost as long do those work please email me let me know like to buy another one before spring thanks ken also i love striping lines

JTAYLORLAWN
03-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I got the one from big league lawns, Loved it!! you can search my username for posts and look at some of the pics of my stripes that it created. They were great to deal with and a heavy durable product!

Green Shine
03-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok thanks ive seen the rollers but cost alot and was sure if to waist my money or not i like to my yards stand out
Posted via Mobile Device

martinlawn29
03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
we do not use them at all . We have tired them before but they seem to not hold up for as many lawns as we do in a weeks time.
You can stripe up a lawn with out them sharpen your blades at least every other day if your cutting more then 10 lawns a day and scrape your deck when you do blades and use a good mower you will do some fine lines.
Lots of guys you with real nice lines mow the same lines every day so the grass is trained to bend that way not so good for the grass but they do it.
Good luck I have seen guys make there own roller kits maybe look into that.

orangemower
03-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Any mower will stripe well if the deck is setup correctly. I've seen cheap home owner riding mowers stripe nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green Shine
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Yah u can but i want the effect to really show read my post
Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike
03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Some guys just use two chains and a pipe to drag behind there mower. Or just drag some chain.

The stripes are from all the grass facing the right direction.

Green Shine
03-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow do you read the entire thing i know how lines form direction of grass lay i dont want somethin that looks lime crap draging on my mower
Posted via Mobile Device

integrityman
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
The Toro stripers just plain SUCK!!! They have a piece of sheet steel fashioned so it will scrape off debris from the plastic roller. What happens is that grass and debrs gets built up between the roller and the steel and it gets hopelessly bound up and will not turn. Its a really dumb design- PERIOD. I'd think a seventh grade science class could design something better Many of the dealers sell their own that rides free behind the deck and is made of a solid billet of stainless. I bought one for about $200 and its pure chit.

I purchased one from Big league lawns and really like it.

orangemower
03-04-2012, 06:13 PM
What type of grass are you cutting?
Posted via Mobile Device

crazymike
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow do you read the entire thing i know how lines form direction of grass lay i dont want somethin that looks lime crap draging on my mower
Posted via Mobile Device

I read the entire thing. And it only looks like crap if you make something that looks 'lime' crap. I tried to save you money.

You can go out and buy a striper from rittenhouse or your localdealer. It's a dollar, costs a few hundred dollars. Will break when you bump a curb or even loading into your trailer.

You can buy a chain kit that many brands also make. It costs money and can be made for an affordable price.

Clearly you are too smart for us. Carry on.

integrityman
03-04-2012, 08:06 PM
What type of grass are you cutting?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairview Park is near Cleveland........so will be northern varieties.....KBG, Fesuces, Rye's and Turf type tall fescues...... All good striping grasses

Green Shine
03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Mostly ryes though i have a good amount of accounts that are older people and we all know they like there grass short around 2 1/2 so thinking a roller would work beter in those.applications since i allready have one attached to.my deck
Posted via Mobile Device

Walker Lawn & Landscaping
03-05-2012, 03:05 AM
correct deck pitch slightly higher in the back. mowing high and using [U]sharp[U] high lift blades will do wonders. but i rigged up my own kit also, bought a semi trailer mudflap (a thin cheap one) pre drilled holes across the back of my deck cut the rubber to fit cut a slit vertically in the center for it to pivot and bolted it on so that the rubber was 3/4 inch above ground level. worked out verry slick no damage to the yard at all. it doesn't look half bad to boot