PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on this leaf job please

whiffyspark
03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I landed this spring clean up job for wednesday. I don't usually do clean ups, but it led to me getting the weekly mowing contract for a good price. And this is in a very upscale high end community so I want to excel at this.

I was thinking to blow them all to a pile with a blower, but once i realized how much leafs there are I was thinking more along the lines of a leaf vacuum

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/mike0599/th_photo1.jpg (http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/mike0599/?action=view&current=photo1.jpg)
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/mike0599/th_photo.jpg (http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n337/mike0599/?action=view&current=photo.jpg)

My local rental houses have

http://static9.ur.com/images/eqimages/563_m.jpg
Billy Goat VQ802SP
http://static1.ur.com/images/eqimages/558_m.jpg
Billy Goat KD511H

What would you guys do?

I know I underbid this job at $225 that's not the issue. I just want to get this done as quickly and efficently as possible. I was going to use a ztr and mulch it, but he wanted them cleaned up and I don't know what's under all those leafs

Thanks guys

CLARK LAWN
03-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Those two things are useless. I would use my big push blowers to blow them into I pile and then use my truck loader to suck them up into the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
03-04-2012, 10:38 AM
That's what my dad told me as well. He said they're only good for leaves on the pavement. But he was a landscaper ten years ago so I didn't know if things had changed. I actually have a leaf loader, but my truck isn't setup up to catch them. I don't want to spend the money on plywood to only use it one time.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
You could get a price to sub it out.

orangemower
03-04-2012, 11:28 AM
You took on a job that you don't even know how to handle OR bid correctly? Two words, good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
If I got a call asking if I could install a in ground swimming pool and told them, sure I can do it. I'd wonder what was wrong with me. I'm not setup to do pool installs so why would I even say yes? It goes the same for you in this situation. If you don't have the means to do the job then you shouldn't bid on it.
Yeah, sub it out and lose the mowing account too. Have the equipment necessary to do the job or don't bid on them.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
03-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Sorry, not trying to sound too blunt but it all holds true. You need to be prepared to do the work you bid on from the start or you could create a irreversible image that the customer may feel you're not equipped or competent of doing the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
03-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I do know how to handle this. Like I said we usually mulch them but this is a new yard I was just looking for ideas to speed it up. I'll be using my truck vac and blowers it looks like. Can't hurt to ask for someone's opinion on a walk behind vacuum that I never used can it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Puddle of Oil
03-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Clark lawn gave you the best advice. Blow it into a pile then suck it up with a loader. Don't waste your time with a tiny vac, it will fill up too fast and its slow.

Walk behind mowers have a small catcher capacity so it will take you longer to do.
Good luck!

whiffyspark
03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
That's my plan. We're going to use a large tarp for the back yard because my vac house won't reach that far. My hose is only 14 ft. Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

Roachy
03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
First of all, for all the people giving you crap for taking on this job, dont listen because you have to start somewhere. Not everyone starts their first ever leaf cleanup with a full leaf loader and dump trailer setup. Yes its gonna take you longer than other guys, and your not gonna make as much per hour as other guys but just do a good job and learn from it. If you dont get your leaf loader setup working, I would get a buddy, blow everything into a couple big piles. Put a tarp on the ground and rake as much as you can into a tarp. You and your buddy just drag it back to your trailer or truck and then repeat. After you load up your truck or trailer nice and high, just throw the tarp over it and throw some bricks on top. Good luck

Glenn Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Those goats are slow, trust me I have one... It works great but its just to slow. I'd rent a walk behind blower and push them in a pile if you don't have a mower with a bagged on it or a backpack blower.
Posted via Mobile Device

NC Greenscaper
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Just blow it into piles. Rake it on your tarp and drag it to your truck. Repeat. Repeat.

aaron79mowing
03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Blow them into a pile, add gas, and burn them! You will get rid of the leaves quickly plus set yourself for a seeding job as well!

whiffyspark
03-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. I got my track vac running I'm boarding up my trailer now. I appreciate all the helpful insight. We are going to use a wheeled blower and back pack blowers.

I also sold seeding,mulching, and some plants and trees as well as a weekly service. So I'm happy
Posted via Mobile Device

NC Greenscaper
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I got my track vac running I'm boarding up my trailer now. I appreciate all the helpful insight. We are going to use a wheeled blower and back pack blowers.

I also sold seeding,mulching, and some plants and trees as well as a weekly service. So I'm happy
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds good. Goodluck

Get Some...
03-07-2012, 01:44 AM
I do not have a truck vac...just a one man operation with a single axle trailer.

On a job like that I would use a 26" bagging mower with two baggers.
Fill both and dump on trailer.
Get 90% of the leafs.

Follow with a pass with a 44 Toro wb that has a mulch kit.

But I would bid it higher.
Hope it goes well for you.