PDA

View Full Version : super lawn trucks reviews?

BrandonV
03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Anyone on here have one? We're ending our lease on our switch-n-go equipped lcf this august so I'm starting to kick around the options. I really liked the switch-n-go system but we're growing our maintenance division so it's not getting used enough as a dump (we find ourselves w/ the maintenance bed more and more, which is good)

I really like this unit for our walker, but I think I prefer their "eco" model that has the 1 piece ramp instead of the 2 piece unit

I surely want the dump box on the front, likely the 5yd version instead of the smaller one

crazymike
03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I've looked at them, but I'm going to buy a used hino and have ramps made up.

However, if you're going to want a dump section, etc... they are probably a good solution.

There is also another company called Vanscapes. They make a comparable product and you're not paying to buy a product with Tony Bass' name on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-GhZKhqqE

Not sure if this company is still in business though, just googled for their webpage.

Question, for the dump box, how do you get the debris in there? Will a walker with a high dump be able to dump inside of when tilted?

BrandonV
03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I was thinkinng id buy the walker bins.. They look like drawers that fit in the hopper, escentially cutting the load into two lifts instead of one heavy one.

crazymike
03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I was thinkinng id buy the walker bins.. They look like drawers that fit in the hopper, escentially cutting the load into two lifts instead of one heavy one.

They need a walker super hi dump lol

But another option might be to mount a leaf vac right on the dump hopper.

Then you could not only suck out the mower dumper but also leafs, trash pile, etc... during cleanups...

BrandonV
04-05-2012, 08:41 PM
let me ask you guys that already have box trucks... I seriously am considering going gas with this truck, frankly because diesel is $, diesel engines are $ and we don't do the miles with this crew to pay it off... current truck is an 08 and has 57k

is a gas isuzu super underpowered? or am i going to be fine... I don't need fast, don't want fast in fact but not too slow.

hosejockey2002
04-06-2012, 09:14 PM
is a gas isuzu super underpowered? or am i going to be fine... I don't need fast, don't want fast in fact but not too slow.

I haven't driven them back to back, but the gas Isuzu should be at least as fast or probably faster than the diesel. It has a roughly 85 hp advantage. It has less torque, but makes up for it by having super-low (like in the 5:1 range) gears in the rear end. I would imagine they are thirsty, probably around 8 mpg.

BrandonV
04-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Sounds good. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
04-09-2012, 07:30 PM
SLT says the gas isuzu should get 12 the diesel 11 and the mitfuso around 15... I already have a mitfuso and leaning that way now.

hosejockey2002
04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
SLT says the gas isuzu should get 12 the diesel 11 and the mitfuso around 15... I already have a mitfuso and leaning that way now.

I wonder if SLT is a little optimistic on the mileage figures for the gas Isuzu. I have the same motor in a pickup and pulling a little 6x12 enclosed I'm lucky to get 11. Odd that they say the gas gets better mileage than the diesel. If that's the case why would someone buy the diesel if it costs more, gets worse mileage and has less power?

If SLT offers a Mitfuso option and you like that truck I would say go for it.

BrandonV
04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I wonder if SLT is a little optimistic on the mileage figures for the gas Isuzu. I have the same motor in a pickup and pulling a little 6x12 enclosed I'm lucky to get 11. Odd that they say the gas gets better mileage than the diesel. If that's the case why would someone buy the diesel if it costs more, gets worse mileage and has less power?

If SLT offers a Mitfuso option and you like that truck I would say go for it.

he corrected himself later... mistyped it as it should have been ~8
After running the numbers we're going w/ the diesel mitfuso. we have a mitfuso already and it's been a great truck so we're optimistically adding another to the fleet. getting the 16' eco body and 5 yd dumper box.... pending approval from the boss.

muddywater
05-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you get the truck? I have had an slt before, and i was not impressed with the ramp. Mine was the double folding. I would much rather have the one piece with the slight box dovetail. I am just as happy with a dovetail for 5k less.

I think the debri dumper has got to be awesome. Even for guys without walkers. I know my guys spend 15 minutes everyday cleaning out the box trucks. I might try to build one for my next box truck set up. Got any pics?

BrandonV
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Ordered a mitfuso, will be here next month. Got the single piece ramp, 16' box and large 5yd dumper. Going to be a big truck but i think itll work for us.

sildoc
09-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Ordered a mitfuso, will be here next month. Got the single piece ramp, 16' box and large 5yd dumper. Going to be a big truck but i think itll work for us.

How is it working out and what did you end up paying for it?

tnmtn
09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
How does the side dump do with heavier stuff like dirt and smaller rock? What is it's weight capacity?

ed2hess
09-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Why are these so tall.....couldn't they cut a foot or more off height. The seem a lot taller than a closed trailer am I wrong.

BrandonV
09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
How does the side dump do with heavier stuff like dirt and smaller rock? What is it's weight capacity?

I believe it dumps 2000# but I'm not sure, we bought it for debris so it won't be loaded down with stone etc... it's not a dump truck but for ops that bag clipping (like us) it'll find lots of use.

In terms of height I'd say its the same as a normal box truck. It'll be taller than a trailer simply because it's above the axles and not between (deck-over)

In terms of do we like it, yes we do very much. We actually went back to the folks at slt and bought a used one that I saw on the lot when I picked this one up. The new unit should be delivered friday and will be going to our construction division.

BrandonV
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Here's their photo of our "new" used one. I also want to point out that I love the fuel tanks, with our construction crew we'd haul around several diesel 5gal cans and a clear gas. no more! think of all that floor space:dizzy:

Marek
09-13-2012, 07:34 AM
See you went with the side door also. Hows you mpg working out ?

BrandonV
09-13-2012, 06:18 PM
i believe its getting about 12, also had them install a side door on the "new" one but without the steps

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
09-15-2012, 06:45 PM
I have heard good and bad...I personally do not have one but all the landscapers around here that I have talked to that have one all love em

BrandonV
09-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm impressed with both my new one and this "new" used one. That being said the single ramp "eco" model is the way to go if your mowing and doing lots of stops. The split ramp is much slower, that said itll work for us since it's going with the construction crew.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
09-16-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm impressed with both my new one and this "new" used one. That being said the single ramp "eco" model is the way to go if your mowing and doing lots of stops. The split ramp is much slower, that said itll work for us since it's going with the construction crew.
Posted via Mobile Device

The main reason for the split is to reduce weight and the related concerns. Got assist?

BrandonV
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
The main reason for the split is to reduce weight and the related concerns. Got assist?

They're both hydro... no lifting just lever pulling:weightlifter:

Duekster
09-16-2012, 09:14 PM
They're both hydro... no lifting just lever pulling:weightlifter:

Then no reason for the split. Simply a weight issue

muddywater
09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Then no reason for the split. Simply a weight issue

No his newer truck has the fancy smancy dovetail built into the box. The reason the other is two-piece is that the box is higher off the ground. I think slt sells that hydro gate for about 7k. Pretty cool, but i'll keep 5k and put a dovetail on one.

I have had an slt with a two piece hydro ramp, and it is sloooooow. Dovetail is 3 times as fast and 3 times cheaper.

Duekster
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM
No his newer truck has the fancy smancy dovetail built into the box. The reason the other is two-piece is that the box is higher off the ground. I think slt sells that hydro gate for about 7k. Pretty cool, but i'll keep 5k and put a dovetail on one.

I have had an slt with a two piece hydro ramp, and it is sloooooow. Dovetail is 3 times as fast and 3 times cheaper.

Dove tail is the only way to go. Supreme stil uses split ramps on their vanscaper designs because of weight.

muddywater
09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Two piece

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=HkWt_wD0-_8

One piece

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=slz1-s1rhxs

With the dovetails it really doesnt matter if they are split or not. The springs make them practically weightless. You can lift them with two fingers

BrandonV
09-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I dont trust those two piece manual ramps especially with heavier items like my ditch withces or kubota.

muddywater
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
When I had my SLT with a 2-piece it handled my 2000lb dingo fine. It seemed very sturdy to me. In fact one of my buddies used the 2 piece ramp to lift the entire back end up to change a flat tire on the isuzu. I think they are much sturdier than a dovetail and we load our sk650s on a dovetail all the time.

Why do you like the side door on the box? What do yall typically use it for? Do you need to access inside without using the back door?

muddywater
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Trying to keep up with Brandon. Just bought this 06 isuzu diesel with 79k for $8200. Need to find a box and put a dovetail on it. Might even lengthen the frame and put a side dump on it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=257132&stc=1&d=1348012770

BrandonV
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Why do you like the side door on the box? What do yall typically use it for? Do you need to access inside without using the back door?

Our maint crew does full service stuff so they're in and out of the truck a lot, sometimes I don't think they'd need to drop the big door and also if you need something at the front of the truck and it's full of mowers you're kind of stuck. Our construction crew will use the front door for filling the truck be it plants, bags of cement or other such things that we can't unload on the site through the back. We have a telehandler at the shop so we can reach all the way in to place heavy pallets in the front but rarely have it on job site so we'll off load through the side door.

BrandonV
09-22-2012, 09:33 PM
well looks like I got the used one just in time... our guy that goes through all the trucks on saturdays checked the oil in the fuso today and it was low again (was last week too so it's loosing oil somewhere) and using a magnet found metal in the oil so i'm guessing we're due some warranty work. It only makes sense that if there's a lemon I'll be the one to buy it.

ELS Landscape
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
So what was the result son the Fuso? And what ramp do you like?

BrandonV
11-20-2012, 06:17 PM
fuso got it fixed real quick, something was out of alignment on the front of the engine causing it to burn the oil off. all is well now and have no complaints. as for which truck we like better it depends on what we're doing. the crewcab isuzu we bought used from SLT has the spilt ramp and it's used by my main installation crew. It works great, we love the space and regularly haul plant material and all our tools, it's nice not having the dovetail because the flat floor gives more useable space. also the side door is very useful for loading heavy object to the front of the truck on sites where we don't have our tele handler. just today we set 3 B&B arborvitae through the front door. The mitfuso is for my maint crew and the eco body is clearly the way to go for mowing crews that will be making multiple stops its so quick.

ELS Landscape
11-21-2012, 06:46 AM
I think Supreme says the dovetail eats up 4 feet of the box. I have seen many made of expanded steel mounted on the exterior of the box. Thanks for the feed back

BrandonV
11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
I was comparing the two different offerings from SLT btw, they have a 2 stage hyd ramp and a single. I now have both.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
11-22-2012, 07:57 AM
I was comparing the two different offerings from SLT btw, they have a 2 stage hyd ramp and a single. I now have both.
Posted via Mobile Device

I suppose that is a costly upgrade.