PDA

View Full Version : String Trimmers for Girls

FastMan
03-04-2012, 12:33 PM
I have a female helper of the non :weightlifter: variety this summer. She'll be doing a lot of string trimmer work. What do you suggest for a lightweight, yet bullet proof quality trimmer for her?

Thanks for saving me a bit of the research time.

greenpoint
03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Stihl fs100rx - they have a lightweight shaft that makes them lighter than the others. We have a few and they're great.

93Chevy
03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Redmax TR2301

Richard Martin
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Tanaka has a lightweight trimmer that I use. It's the TCG22EASSLP model. It's under 10 pounds fully assembled. It's not going to have the power of something like the Stihl 4 Mix trimmers but it doesn't weigh anywhere near as much as they do. It does have a nice balance. When I bought mine I didn't think it would hold up but it's going into it's second year as a front line trimmer.

http://www.wisesales.com/tanaka-tcg22easslp-21cc-straight-shaft-trimmer.html?utm_source=GoogleBaseFeed&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CNexq5fnza4CFQmMtgodYythBw

FastMan
03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks, guys, I'll have a look at all 3.

93Chevy, is the Redmax TR2301 a discontinued model? I don't see it on their website.

93Chevy
03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks, guys, I'll have a look at all 3.

93Chevy, is the Redmax TR2301 a discontinued model? I don't see it on their website.

My bad, it's the TR2350S now.

http://www.redmax.com/products/trimmers/tr2350s/

K&L Landscaping
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM
My bad, it's the TR2350S now.

http://www.redmax.com/products/trimmers/tr2350s/

This! When my wife decides she wants to "help" this is the trimmer I got for her and it's great. It's unbelievable how lightweight this thing is. Also, it runs great for a low 20cc engine and has been bullet proof. Don't even think about .095 line though. It's much happier with .080 in it.

93Chevy
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
This! When my wife decides she wants to "help" this is the trimmer I got for her and it's great. It's unbelievable how lightweight this thing is. Also, it runs great for a low 20cc engine and has been bullet proof. Don't even think about .095 line though. It's much happier with .080 in it.

I ran mine with .105 and it ate everything in it's path. Didn't bog down or anything. I mean I wasn't whipping down 3' tall hillsides, for for regular whipping, line edging, and moderate growth, it'll do a damn dang good job.

michael14
03-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I have an old stihl fs55. it's like 10 years old and if it ain't got a million hours on it is close :confused: . Maybe a thousand realistically but it's been great.

knox gsl
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
My wife likes my fs100rx, but the light weight redmax would be a good choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
husqvarna 326L is 9 lbs.

Chevy z71
03-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Best out there. http://www.kawpowr.com/pp/detail.aspx?id=10&cat_id=6

944own
03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
x2 on the redmax 2350s I use one as my main trimmer and it is the lightest I have found.

mowerman90
03-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Husqvarna 323L under 10 lbs and runs like a bear. No problem using .095 line.

appalachianoutdoors
03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a echo from home depot that i bought years ago that still runs great, is lightweight, and was in the $250 or so range. Not a commercial, but has held up as well as any of my stihl units.
Posted via Mobile Device

GlynnC
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Tanaka has a lightweight trimmer that I use. It's the TCG22EASSLP model. It's under 10 pounds fully assembled. It's not going to have the power of something like the Stihl 4 Mix trimmers but it doesn't weigh anywhere near as much as they do. It does have a nice balance. When I bought mine I didn't think it would hold up but it's going into it's second year as a front line trimmer.

http://www.wisesales.com/tanaka-tcg22easslp-21cc-straight-shaft-trimmer.html?utm_source=GoogleBaseFeed&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CNexq5fnza4CFQmMtgodYythBw

I have the Hitachi version of the Tanaka (exact same except color and name plate), recently used it at my mother-in-law's house in Texas--they are already in their early spring rapid growth stage. I run with the guard on (I like the string length it sets--a different issue than being discussed here), and I was really pleasantly surprised how it cut 6 inch tall, wet grass. I don't have many hours on the Hitachi yet, but it will be the 1st trimmer I pickup unless I'm cutting really big stuff. I was even using the trimmer head that came with it--doesn't hold a lot of line, but easy to rewind, and feeds good. Starts very easy.

RTR Landscaping
03-04-2012, 06:52 PM
The RedMax TR2350 is a great little trimmer. It only weighs 9lbs. but has really good power.

alsam116
03-04-2012, 07:01 PM
im glad to see my wifey isnt the only one out here helping...going on 5 years now...we have stihl fs 90 for now but looking at redmax handhelds from now on, stihl is turning to junk in my opinion.

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Since nobody has mention this one, I will. The Husky 223L. It weighs 9 lbs, and costs less than most of the trimmers listed so far. It has plenty of power for an sane trimming need.

KS_Grasscutter
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
I can vouch for both the Husq 323l and the 2301/2350 Redmax. Both dang good, lightweight trimmers. My main trimmer now is a Stihl FS90 which is also fairly light. Not sure I'm sold on having valves to adjust though.
Posted via Mobile Device

integrityman
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Im going to be checking into the Stihl lithium ion unit.....

USA Lawn Care
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
another vote for my redmax 2350.
great lightweight trimmer.
love mine.

andyreed
03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I also am interested in a lightweight trimmer. I run Echo currently and am sold on the speed feed head but am not sold on the brand in particular. Are any of these brands mentioned (namely the husky and redmax) as easy to restring as the Echo?

Grant11
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
+1 on the stihl fs100rx

Mikegyver
03-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Cheap, lightweight, and pretty much bulletproof.
http://www.redmax.com/products/trimmers/bcz2460ts/

FastMan
03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback, folks. Very helpful. This forum is gold.

LawnMan19
03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Echo SRM-225 great light wight, but tough trimmer. It's got a great power to wight ration.

Bilrus61
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Dolmar/Makita MS22-c.......only weighs 8.3...she'll wear it out instead of it wearing her out. While its not last as long as a heavier commercial built trimmer you'll gain productivity in the long run. And best of all its not available for sale in California!!http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5084/index.html

Richard Martin
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Dolmar/Makita MS22-c.......only weighs 8.3.

That's 8.3 pounds without the tool ie: no trimmer head. It may even be without the shaft.

yardguy28
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
this thread wouldn't be necessary if you wouldn't be trying make an exception for hiring a female.

when you hire male or female they need to be able to perform the job with equipment you have. if they can't don't hire them.

Patriot Services
03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
If she's a shorter girl I can understand how a straight shaft might not be the best choice for her. A quality curved shaft might fit the bill. Give her the right tools and she might turn out to be your best worker.:usflag:

yardguy28
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
If she's a shorter girl I can understand how a straight shaft might not be the best choice for her. A quality curved shaft might fit the bill. Give her the right tools and she might turn out to be your best worker.:usflag:

maybe after she's shown her value and that she plans on sticking around.

I'm not gonna buy a trimmer for an employee I just hired. maybe after they've been with me for a season or 2.

93Chevy
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
this thread wouldn't be necessary if you wouldn't be trying make an exception for hiring a female.

when you hire male or female they need to be able to perform the job with equipment you have. if they can't don't hire them.

That's not really the point of this thread though.

jvanvliet
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a female helper of the non :weightlifter: variety this summer.

Pictures please! :p

Some exceptions may be warranted.

whaler's Mow-Town
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Pictures please! :p

Some exceptions may be warranted.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think it matters not. My wife totes around an Echo 266T all day...ummm I think its like 13lbs. She dont complain none and she only weighs about a buck twenty five.

I think its less about how big an implement you are going to let your employees run around with as much as, Can this person handle the equipment we use??

hackitdown
03-05-2012, 06:15 PM

I hired a girl last year. I made some changes to accommodate her size and strength.

She was an awesome worker.

yardguy28
03-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I hired a girl last year. I made some changes to accommodate her size and strength.

She was an awesome worker.

there's nothing wrong with hiring a female or making accommodations. I just wouldn't do it upon hiring.

I'm not gonna buy a new trimmer only to have her quit after only 2 weeks.

kmzlawncare
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
My wife uses a echo 225 and she never complains about it now she wants a small back pack blower. BTW she is 4'11" and 90 lbs.

Bilrus61
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
I think all the listed trimmer weights are without the head/guard. The Dolmar is the straight shaft champ in a lightweight timmer. Not sure how it will hold up long term/commerical but it is a wand.

mtmower
03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I have a female helper of the non :weightlifter: variety this summer. She'll be doing a lot of string trimmer work. What do you suggest for a lightweight, yet bullet proof quality trimmer for her?

Thanks for saving me a bit of the research time.

I didn't read all the posts so if someone already recommended it, sorry. I'd strongly disagree with the stihl fx100r. It vibrated and was so heavy, poorly balanced, and hard starting, I sold it within the first season. My wife works with me and does massage therapy and she's a sign language interpenetrater at the college. Has problems with carpel tunnel and is left handed (sounds like I should put her down if she was a horse!) The other thing that's a must for me or anyone using one for any period of time is rubber cover handles and if their flexible better yet. Takes out a lot of vibration. Bought my first Tanaka. It doesn't have the hinney my Echo 280's have but man is it balanced well, light, and easy to start, which is a plus for the girls. Find myself using more than I ever thought I would. One thing I don't care for is the small foam air filter and they're proud of their product, but going on the third season and no problems so far. I'm very happy with the Echo's as well, just haven't had much experience with the smaller models.

Alan0354
03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
The nation is so divided, people are made to go against each other for a particular party to get votes. The title of the this thread can be interpolated as sexist together with the class warfare and racial divide that is ruining this nation.

yardguy28
03-06-2012, 04:41 PM
believe me Alan I agree. I think if you hire a female she should be expected to pull her weight exactly like if you hired a male.

none of this buying special tools to accommodate her. if she can't handle your equipment you don't hire her plain and simple. just like if a male can't handle the equipment you don't hire him.

handling the equipment is part of the job and if you can't do it you don't get the job, male or female......

agent walker
03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
go with the redmax . cant beat it for lightweight and power. use it everyday. use the .080 string with spirals

petscanning
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
no matter female or not a good light trimmer is always needed. Save you neck and your back. I love my echo 230 its very light. Can she handle a straight shaft or will she need a curved do to height :)

Alan0354
03-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Husqvarna 223L, that's as light as it get and powerful.

hackitdown
03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
believe me Alan I agree. I think if you hire a female she should be expected to pull her weight exactly like if you hired a male.

none of this buying special tools to accommodate her. if she can't handle your equipment you don't hire her plain and simple. just like if a male can't handle the equipment you don't hire him.

handling the equipment is part of the job and if you can't do it you don't get the job, male or female......

That is one way to look at it. Every businessman makes those decisions daily, decides to take risks, or not.

I see it a little differently, and my actual experience in this type of hire played out well. I had very good luck making a few changes to accommodate a girl. We changed our routine because of her lack of upper body strength. I think it was a good business decision for my company. I took a small risk, but she turned out to be an awesome worker.

I would, of course, do the same thing if I hired a hard-working man that needed some kind of special accommodation.

petscanning
03-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Sometimes I do home remodels for customers and I have a girl or two I use. They have that precision eye sometimes that guys lack so play on strengths not weakness. I could see a woman doing a great job in landscaping just for having that eye of precision. Customers appreciate that and trimming is one of precision type jobs. Bad trim job is worse than a uneven mowing job