PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmers

32vld
03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Looking into buying my first gas powered hedge trimmer. Thinking of getting a Stihl brand.

So knowing that they have cutting heads 18" to 40" long.
They come single and double cutting edges.
Standard length.
Long shaft for reach.
Long shaft for reach and can change angles.

The trimmer I will buy will be my only trimmer to be used for every type of trimming job.

So I don't think one of those 30" 40" trimmers will be needed because where I do not work in area as the Hamptons where they have miles of tall privet hedges.

I think that 24" will be best all around length.

I never used one of the extended trimmers. Does the extra length lower the power and durability?

Is the extra length changeable angled trimmers have lower the power and durability issues?

So based on your work experience what would make a good purchase for me.

ngibson6
03-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't get stihl, just my opinion. I have a next to new, not used too much stihl as a back up and have had nothing but problems with it. They seem to have a lot of carburetor problems. Many threads on the subject. I have run a Tanaka THT-210s for years and really like it. It's a little heavier than stihl, but starts on the first pull every time and have had minimal problems with it.

JCLawn and more
03-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I love my shindiwa 24inch. Thing is a beast.

frameslawn
03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I have the stihl HS45, HS81 (24 Inch), and HS86 (30Inch). I have to say that I like the HS81 24 inch the best. It has two sided cutting, weight is balanced, and it has been really reliable over the past two years.

jackal
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
HS 86 24 inch double sided blades. I also have the hedge attachment, put it on the string trimmer if you need it, but it is heavy.

Herrick
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I've got two hs45 resi. Models that I've used for the last 3 years with no issues... Change the plugs and filters every year and that's it. I see stihl has a hs56 now for just a few more bucks, probably my next one if and when one of the 45's dies.

Oh, and we trim around 3000 bushes twice a year with them.

SDLandscapes VT
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
the most comfortable and BEST balanced is
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Hedge-Trimmers/SHC-225S

best constructed and longest lasting
http://maruyama-us.com/products/hedge-trimmers/double-sided-hedge-trimmers/ht2321d/

Alan0354
03-04-2012, 05:48 PM
I have Shindaiwa M242 with short shaft articulate hedge attachment, a 30" Maruyama HT2321DLR, and Echo 150.

What do you mean by just one trimmer? If you only going to buy one for all, a short reach pole hedge trimmer will do everything. Not the best for all job, but can do the most. Stihl, Echo DO NOT have a short reach articulated hedge trimmer. ONLY Shindaiwa and Husqvarna has it. Those from Stihl and Echo are too long to substitute as a regular hedge as it is too long and hard to control for trimming short hedges like boxwood. That's the reason I bought the Shindaiwa because the short attachment don't even have a shaft and you literally hold the gear box with your left hand and have really good control. And at the same time, you can reach high and cut flat top without using a step ladder.

But as the owner of Shinadiwa M242, I suggest you to go with Husqvana 326LDx system. It is lighter. 326 has perfect reviews here for years. It is not that expensive.

As for a regular hedge trimmer, I did a lot of research for a long time before I bought the Maruyama. It is the cheapest of all the hedge trimmers and the gear box design is the best. It is always 2 pull cold start and don't bog even you try to rev it up, it just don't pull full rpm for the first 20 second, it can still cut. Not like the M242 that it choke if you try to give throttle when cold.

No experience with Stihl HS45, I did look into HS81, it is expensive and I question whether it is any better. It has very few ball bearing in the gear box where Maruyama has two ball bearing, one on each side of every gear. It also has roller bearing on the blade connecting rod. Only Shindaiwa and Kawaskai 600D has the same gear box design, ALL the others have fewer ball bearings. The one thing that stop me totally from buying the Stihl is they strongly discourage do-it-yourselffer. It is hard to even get the IPL for ordering parts.

I found 30" is a touch too long, I would go with 24". Tanaka has the 26" trimmer. I think 26" is really perfect.

Darryl G
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
My first were a Shindaiwa 30 inch and the long articulated attachment for my Multitool powerheads. Between those 2 there aren't many jobs you can't do.

I then added a shorter dedicated articulated Shin. Those are very handy but I do a better and quciker job cutting the sides of low shrubs with a standard trimmer. I added the Echo HC-150 last summer. At 20 inches it's nice and light but I've been advised that it is not a heavy duty unit and to try not to stress the gearbox. For little boxwoods and stuff this is my trimmer of choice. And I have a cordless 18 incher too that lives in my toolbox.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Stihl hs81t

Alan0354
03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
My first were a Shindaiwa 30 inch and the long articulated attachment for my Multitool powerheads. Between those 2 there aren't many jobs you can't do.

I then added a shorter dedicated articulated Shin. Those are very handy but I do a better and quciker job cutting the sides of low shrubs with a standard trimmer. I added the Echo HC-150 last summer. At 20 inches it's nice and light but I've been advised that it is not a heavy duty unit and to try not to stress the gearbox. For little boxwoods and stuff this is my trimmer of choice. And I have a cordless 18 incher too that lives in my toolbox.

I forgot to say about my 3" Craftsman battery trimmer. I need all of them!!!! The HC150 is very rugged, I use it for compacting the recycle can and use it to cut through branches up to 1/4" and it hold up. It is the most reliable piece of equipment I have as it is the oldest. I don't think you have to baby it just because it is cheaper. All Echo are COMMERCIAL grade, don't listen to people telling you that Home Depot express are not commercial.

32vld
03-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Tuesday I bought a Stihl HS45 24".
Used it for the first time Wednesday. My crapsman electric that the label says 18" but when you measure the blade it's 17" (I guess crapsman not only over stated HP but mislabeled other products as well).

Why did I wait so long?

grassman177
03-08-2012, 08:43 AM
we have echo and stihl. our stihl wont stay together, keep falling apart. not buying another stihl because of it. otherwise, they are great, but we have 2 stihl that do the same thing, dif models.

Pietro
03-08-2012, 08:48 AM
I have STIHL and ECHO, we take care of em and they all work great. I try to buy used when I can. Many people buy them, use em a few times and put them on ebay or CL.

Alan0354
03-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I am funny this way, when come to gas power stuff....even cars, I only buy new. I don't trust people taking care of them. I know, I pay dearly for it, but I up keep them and all my cars goes 200K+ miles. Still have not have a car that I bought new die on me yet......knock on wood. AND I never sell a car that worth Chit.....for C= S.:laugh:

Belgium
04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
We are using the maruyama ht2321dlr with 30" double sided blades and the echo 30" double sided hedge trimmer. I've tried stihl but don't like it. The maruyama's feel lighter and nimbler in my opinion. I buy at least 2 new hedge trimmers per year ( we trim hedges from may till october) and still happy after 10 years with maruyama. The echo is only used on boxwood and taxus because of the exhaust on top of the blades which limits burn spots on the boxwood. For pole trimmers i've used the maruyama but i switched to the stihl km130 which is a beast (sometimes we have to use it with an extra shaft, very heavy but easy in some situations). This year i'm going to try out the tanaka 210s to see if that one can beat the maruyama's but i doubt it:)

The Grounds Crew
04-09-2012, 03:26 PM
For pole trimmers I only run tanaka and for non pole trimmers i use both stihl and echo. I would reccomend all three. But whatever one you will get I'm sure you will like it. But I got to say the new stihl have a vibration control so there is very less fatigue when using it.

Belgium
04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh yes forgot to mention, over here we have the long tall hedges that need to be absolutely straight so in that case longer blades are better but when we have to do shapes like boxwood cones i prefer the shorter blades too.

headz77
04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
We have the extended reach Stihl and Echo, both are nice. My crews seem to prefer the balance of the Stihl- but the Echo just runs and runs....

CCA Green Services
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I like the Husqvarna 226HD75S trimmer... its well balanced....