PDA

View Full Version : done with stihl

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I am looking to buy a new trimmer tomorrow, i am done with stihl. I had a fs 110r for about a year and half before it started being junk, then i bought another fs 110r about 6 months ago and it is already crap. The throttle sticks so it will stay locked down at full power, it never wants to starts and then today i went to use it and it was leaking gas everywhere. So my plan is to sell my old fs110, fix one that is only 6 months old, and then buy a new trimmer. I do not know which type of trimmer to buy. I was considering a husqvarna with equilvant power to the 110. which i think is around 27 or 29 cc's, i could be wrong. Any input on what trimmer i should buy would be great. thanks. I am also looking at hedge trimmers so i may consider one where you can use different attachmeants. Thanks!

alsam116
03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
redmax is what we are starting to switch to.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 08:22 PM
How is that working out for you? i used one a couple of months ago and when i went to resprool it, it was very difficult. I may have been doing something wrong. Is it easy to resprool them once you know how to do it? I know you use one long string instead of two shorter ones, right?

rmslawns
03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I am using Stihl but have some friends that have switched to Kawasaki and are happy with them.

Chevy z71
03-04-2012, 09:05 PM
I like my kawasaki.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't think I've seen any kaw trimmers at my dealer. I'll have to look and see
Posted via Mobile Device

Greyst1
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I switched to shindy last year. Tired of fuel leaking through the carb to the filter, tired of new carbs and carb rebuilds, tired of valve adjustments,etc. Overall Stihl products are good, however the total cost of ownership is misleading and the maintenance costs are higher than echo/shindy.

To be fair i blame the carb rebuilds on the fuel, however today's mfg's know about the problems and do nothing about it.

Shindy, echo, and redmax

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm leaning towards redmax and may throw a speed feed on it
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
husqvarna's are good and really light as well. i like them much better than stihl trimmers.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Not many people use those around here, I'll have to do a little research on those
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
ECHO!!!!! all i use is echo. i have an old a$$ SRM-210 thts is 7yrs old. still starts on first pull.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I always relate echo to being crap because their sold at home depot. And stuff at homedepot is no good. What is the name of the echo trimmer that's comparable to the 110
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Not many people use those around here, I'll have to do a little research on those
Posted via Mobile Device

they've been used for decades around here. alot of people just use stihl because that's what the dealers carry that sell the commercial mowers. every commercial mower dealer here carries only stihl equipment. husqvarna dealers usually don't even sell mowers or only sale residential mowers. at least where i live it's like that.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:29 PM
My dealer does stock husqvarna I can picture them on the wall
Posted via Mobile Device

KLAlawncare
i feel the same way about stihl...i bought all new stihl handhelds 2 yrs ago and been slowly switching to all redmax...4 mixs are junk, br600s lost power after a year anf the whips and edgers are doing the same, its redmax for me from now on!

KrayzKajun
i have a few SRM-230s, 265s my favorite is my srm-225(becuz of weight)

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I used to have a 225, I sold it a while back tho, it doesn't have the power like a Fs 110
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
husqvarna makes great trimmers. you won't be disappointed if you get one. we used them when i worked for another lawn company in college. husqvarna also owns redmax now.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm about to do a lawnsite search on them
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 09:35 PM
No probs out of our 9 or more Stihl units...
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I have nothing but problems with them. I don't like my br600 either it's no where near as good as my 7500
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
i like my br600 magnum blower but i wouldn't use stihl trimmers. i picked up a few at the dealer just to see how they feel. i didn't like them personally. i'm not saying they are junk but i just don't prefer them. the husqvarnas or hondas just feel more balanced to me.

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
With the exception of a coil, our BR600's are great. Coil was warranty item.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I think you are using "super stihls's" I need to get some of those
Posted via Mobile Device

kmzlawncare
03-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I use all Echo and always have and have been very happy with them and I have a great dealer and if I have a one that needs worked on they put me first on the list and get my stuff fixed fast. Well last year after reading all the good reviews on the Sthil I went and bought one and wish I would have got another Echo. My Sthil runs fine but it leaks gas bad when it on my trimmer rack. I don't know why it leaks maybe from that funny gas cap.

Reliable 1
03-04-2012, 10:28 PM
I've owned mostly Stihl over the last decade. Never had any problems until last year...which I greatly contributed to ethanol based products. I own the FS 110 and BR 600. First had difficulty starting the trimmer late in the season then the blower. After getting upset, I bought a Echo 770T and Shindaiwa T344. I love the 770T but still mixed on the T344. Just seems that the Shindy doesn't have the same amount of oomph as it is quieter....but the torque is excellent. I'm thinking of buying a Stihl FS 250 as it does not have all of the emission crap that the 4 mix have.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I used to own a 250, I bought it on a Monday and returned it on a Friday. I would edge with it and it would blow hot air on your arm the entire time and it's heavy as ef
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
03-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I bought a redmax last summer. I like it! The only thing wrong so far is the carb got clogged. But thats another story. I picked it up for $266 at the local dealer. Even if I get a year or 2 out of it I will be happy. You will never got back to the 4mix trimmers after using one of the lighter 2 cycles.
Heres the one that I bought- http://www.redmax.com/products/trimmers/bcz2460ts/
The new head they put on the cheaper ones is awesome! You stick the ends of the strings in and twist...its not cheap either...lasts much longer than the stihl buttons. I used a speed feed on a maryama and I don't remember being that impressed with it.
What you really need to find is the old school (Japanese made) stihl trimmers. Those things are unstoppable! I have an edger and trimmer with the 70 series engine on them (I think the edger is FC72 and the trimmer FS76 but not sure). The trimmer was locked up..40.00 for new rings and carb kit and it was ready to go!
I'll probably get some new trimmers this year. I will either go redmax, shidawia, or maryama in that order.
Mike

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 10:51 PM
I've owned mostly Stihl over the last decade. Never had any problems until last year...which I greatly contributed to ethanol based products. I own the FS 110 and BR 600. First had difficulty starting the trimmer late in the season then the blower. After getting upset, I bought a Echo 770T and Shindaiwa T344. I love the 770T but still mixed on the T344. Just seems that the Shindy doesn't have the same amount of oomph as it is quieter....but the torque is excellent. I'm thinking of buying a Stihl FS 250 as it does not have all of the emission crap that the 4 mix have.

What emission crap? Exhaust valves?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
That redmax is tiny at only 24 cc's the stihl has 31. I think I'ma end up going with the bigger redmax
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Trust me...I was used to a FS130. It has plenty of power. Its not at all about the CCs. Its more about the torque and HP. Stihl has a very poor power to weigh ratio. That head has the head with special gears to make it spin faster. I can trim through stuff 6-10" high no problem. If you need a heavy duty trimmer go get a brush cutter. But for weekly maintenance you do not need something super powerful.
In these hot summers you need to go as lightweight as possible. We have a 3 acre commercial with tons of trimming...at the end of the day we are glad we switched to the lighter trimmer. Especially when working 10 hr days. The lighter trimmer makes all the difference in the world.
mike

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:00 PM
True, i would also have a Fs 110 in the trailer once it's fixed so if I got a lawn that needed a little work I could pull out the big boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
03-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I always relate echo to being crap because their sold at home depot. And stuff at homedepot is no good. What is the name of the echo trimmer that's comparable to the 110
Posted via Mobile Device

Just get the new SRM 266T echo and it will last a life time. We run 6 of the SRM265T units and they are rock solid. The 266T is better and has bigger filters which they needed. And it is still straight 2 stroke.

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:05 PM
The 266t has 26 cc's I assume? I just want a trimmer that starts before the 50th pull and works all the time
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 11:16 PM
The 266t has 26 cc's I assume? I just want a trimmer that starts before the 50th pull and works all the time
Posted via Mobile Device

Ever adjust the valves on your 4mix engines?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Nope, I'm not mechanically inclined at all. How do I do that? I may just need a new spark plug. But the gas leaking is something That is wrong with the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Nope, I'm not mechanically inclined at all. How do I do that? I may just need a new spark plug. But the gas leaking is something That is wrong with the machine.

Before you knock something for being a POS ypu should make sure everything is as its supposed to be.

If I ran a Chevy without oil and the engine locked up is that the manufacturers fault?

Some maintenance on the end users part is required for anything mechanical. Valve adjustment on a Stihl is a few minute job...I cannot imagine being in this business and not having basic engine repair knowledge.
Posted via Mobile Device

You may need a new gas cap. The valves and a leaking gas cap can make them tough to start. Check the carb to make sure the two screws holding it to engine are still tight...leaking intake= hard start.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Your making it seem like an easy fix, and I sure hope it is
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Easy...like ten minutes tops, one feeler gauge, flat head screwdriver and an 8mm wrench. They sell the kit at your dealer...comes with valve cover gasket and gauge.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 11:55 PM
As the intake and exhaust valves wear in they become "longer" which in turn makes the rocker hold the valves open, which in turn makes engine start hard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm going to do that tomorrow, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-04-2012, 11:58 PM
I still need another trimmer tho, my second trimmer is total poop
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 12:01 AM
As the intake and exhaust valves wear in they become "longer" which in turn makes the rocker hold the valves open, which in turn makes engine start hard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ooo alright. I hope this fixes all my problems
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Stihl's are heavy buggers, thats for sure.

D B
03-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Redmax ! I have two and love them. Keep extra spools. I always have 3 ready to go.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Do you maintain him. I have a fs90r for 3 years now and it works just fine, you just got to maintain them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I do maintain them, all my other stuff works fine, just not the trimmers
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
03-05-2012, 10:24 AM
No issues from any of my Stihl products but I also maintain my equipment.

GMLC
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I have run sthil for 15 years with little to no problems. I run Stihl HP Ultra oil 50:1 with 89 or better octane fuel.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I do maintain my stuff, I have a friend with a fs110 and he is noratic about his stuff and keeping it in tip top shape
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe I just have gotten a lemon trimmer, I hope this valve adjustment does the trick
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I just want a trimmer that starts before the 50th pull and works all the time

This is a lack of maintenance symptom which will occur with any brand.

And this is probably why you have issues with Stihl equipment. I imagine you'll have issues with any brand of equipment if you don't take the time to educate yourself on how to properly maintain equipment. You can't just add gas and go. Sometimes you need to disassemble and clean.

You can either take offense to my post and learn nothing from it or you can take it as good advice and start educating yourself. It's your choice. However, I assure you until you learn how to take care of your equipment you'll continue to have issues regardless of the brand.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Ya I mean I change the spark plugs and air filters but that's about the extent of my maintaining, what else should I be doing?
Posted via Mobile Device

K&L Landscaping
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
I run all STIHL equipment and I have to say it's just barely mediocre when compared to the last fleet of Redmax I had. The only reason I switched to STIHL is because of the GREAT customer service I get from the STIHL dealer. I actually prefer Redmax equipment but dealer support is #1 for me. If the same dealer also carried Redmax I wouldn't even have considered the STIHL's.

I'm different than most on this issue but I pretty much consider my trimmers and blowers to be disposable. Seems like they are used up after 2 years of hard commercial use. IMO, nothing on my trailer does more for less than a trimmer. A $400 trimmer does a whole lot of work for a relatively low cost.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
My dealer is great and he also carries redmax, I'm going there after i get out of class today
Posted via Mobile Device

K&L Landscaping
03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
My dealer is great and he also carries redmax, I'm going there after i get out of class today
Posted via Mobile Device

You will get a lot of opinions on this, it's like the Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge debate. All are good and have their merits and shortcomings.

I have extensive experience with both brands, my crew and I both prefer the Redmax products. Again, I can't ignore the absolute, unwavering dedication that my STIHL dealer has given to me. That's enough for me to choose the STIHL's even if they are a few steps behind Redmax. This is my opinion, best of luck in your search.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the advice man
Posted via Mobile Device

K&L Landscaping
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the advice man
Posted via Mobile Device

My pleasure sir, good luck in your decision.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Im pretty much dead set on the redmax. Im going to fix my sthil and roll with a stihl and redmax
Posted via Mobile Device

D B
03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I have not been doing this long (5yr) but I get Stihl for cost and I run Redmax trimmers. The weight and the low vibration is the way to go. Redmax starts first pull every time. All I do to them is grease the head and put gas in them. When you get it pull the small screen out of the muffler. Mine are 2 years old still have the same plugs in them. I keep new plugs in the truck.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I have not been doing this long (5yr) but I get Stihl for cost and I run Redmax trimmers. The weight and the low vibration is the way to go. Redmax starts first pull every time. All I do to them is grease the head and put gas in them. When you get it pull the small screen out of the muffler. Mine are 2 years old still have the same plugs in them. I keep new plugs in the truck.
Man that speaks volumes. Stihl just isn't what it used to be from
What I read on here
Posted via Mobile Device

HRidgeLandscapes
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
The new redmax trimmers are junk compared to the older stuff.. there is just to much stuff that messes up on them.. we run about 8 redmax trimmers.. 6 redmax blowers.. and 3 sets of hedge clippers all over 2 years old... anything that we have got that has been newer then that has been complete junk and messed up within the first month of buying it

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Everything is junk these days I feel like so you have to pick which one you want to deal with
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-05-2012, 02:04 PM
you could always get a honda 4 stroke. i've had mine 8 years and i've never had any trouble out of it. i've never changed the spark plug or adjusted the valves either. i've only cleaned the air filter once or twice since it hardly gets dirty. it cranks up first pull every time. all you have to do is change the oil every 50hrs which takes about 5min. it holds around 3oz of oil in it. you fill it up with regular gas instead of mixed gas. they cost $299.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
It has a lot of power?
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
It has a lot of power?
Posted via Mobile Device

the 4 strokes are heavier but they have more torque to them. you can trim at half throttle most of the time.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Damn and that isnt a home depot model correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Damn and that isnt a home depot model correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

no i've never seen them for sale at home depot. i had to order mine online. i think john deere is gonna carry honda equipment now but i'm not sure if it's only the commercial 21" pushmowers or the trimmers as well. honda makes a 25cc and a 31cc trimmer. mine is the 25cc and it has plenty of power. there are honda power equipment dealers out there though. they usually sell the mowers, trimmers, generators and such.

K&L Landscaping
03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Jason is right! I have a Honda 4-stroke edger that is 100% commercial grade and it's a great tool. It's pretty much used as a back-up unit but it runs strong and is built like a tank. Be forewarned though, they are noticeably heavier than their 2-stroke counterparts.

weeze
03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
yeah my trimmer is 13lbs. you get used to it though. at first i thought it was a little heavy but after you use it awhile you don't even notice the difference anymore.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
By more then 4 pounds?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
O that's not so bad
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-05-2012, 02:21 PM
the stihl trimmers are 11 lbs so only 2lbs more than those.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 05:46 PM
so i tried to adjust the valves and failed, i went to the dealer and dropped that off to get fixed and bought and got this redmax...
http://i41.tinypic.com/141pmp0.jpg

KrayzKajun
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Nice. You a cop? I see a crown vic in the pic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
That's my neighbors car, and he's a cop.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
How's yur season goin so far?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
That's my neighbors car, and he's a cop.
Posted via Mobile Device

And his yard needs help too.:usflag:

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Ya tell me about it. It's a total mess. I used to maintain it and it looked awesome. Then they went and bought there own equipment and told me they no longer needed me to cut there property, that was 4 months ago, they have yet to use there equipment and
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
:laugh: sorry about your neighbors but congrats on the new trimmer. i hope it holds up for you.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks man, me to. And for that neghibore I'm hoping he asks me to cut it again do I can charge him for a hefty price for a clean up
Posted via Mobile Device

Z's Lawncare
03-05-2012, 06:18 PM
how you liking the redmax

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
I haven't cut with it yet, I'll let y'all know tho when I get done tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

K&L Landscaping
03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Good choice, I think you will be really pleased with it.

XYZLawnPros
03-05-2012, 11:01 PM
The redmax looks like just a bit cheaper version of the husqvarna's.
Seeing as you already made your purchase I was gonna ask you if
your dealer had any husqy 223 or 323's at his shop. Anyways we are
quite happy with our line up of husqvarna's.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Nope my dealer doesn't have any huskys
Posted via Mobile Device

RTR Landscaping
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
We used to run all Stihl until the FS80 went away. We switched over to RedMax and really like them. I've switched all my handhelds to RedMax as the Stihls wear out.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
That's what I'm starting to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I have run sthil for 15 years with little to no problems. I run Stihl HP Ultra oil 50:1 with 89 or better octane fuel.

Bingo.

FUEL is the key. I spent a while with a regional Stihl rep at a party a few weeks ago. I asked him, "What's the biggest issue you see in general with customers, service departments, dealers...." And before I could finish, he said "FUEL FUEL FUEL FUEL FUEL!!!" He said everything (problems) all go back to fuel.

I LOVE Stihl equipment. It's always run excellent for me. But I'm also a freak about my mix. Must be 89, gray bottle Stihl HP, mixed exact at the pump. You can't go wrong.

He also convinced me to run the Moto-Mix (or a generic) in the units toward the end of the year, or if they're gonna be shelved for a while. Run it for the last tank or two. No carb issues.

Don't have employees or those without a clue mix gas. Whatever brand you run.

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I always mix my own gas
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-05-2012, 11:33 PM
I've used 89 octane the last few times and I'm going to start using that all the time in my hand helds. I have been using the stihl oil as well
Posted via Mobile Device

TruSomethingOrOther
03-06-2012, 12:53 AM
TANAKA!! I have used their trimmers for years and I never winterize them. Come spring I dump the gas I left in there, put in new, and fires first pull every time. My Scag dealer has them, and a lot of landscapers around here use them and love'em. They even have the attachment for the wicked 80 tooth saw blade. The model I have been using (I own a couple of'em) is the 2501.

greenerman
03-06-2012, 02:13 AM
you could always get a honda 4 stroke. i've had mine 8 years and i've never had any trouble out of it. i've never changed the spark plug or adjusted the valves either. i've only cleaned the air filter once or twice since it hardly gets dirty. it cranks up first pull every time. all you have to do is change the oil every 50hrs which takes about 5min. it holds around 3oz of oil in it. you fill it up with regular gas instead of mixed gas. they cost $299.

Darn right! My Honda is six years old, no problems, a great trimmer. If you think it's too heavy your in the wrong business.

corey4671
03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
All I know is I Just bought a brand new 110 kombi unit and that sob is almost impossible to get started
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-08-2012, 11:28 PM
All I know is I Just bought a brand new 110 kombi unit and that sob is almost impossible to get started
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahaha,
I got my stihl out the shop today, used it all day, started on the 10th or so pull, still not fix, my new redmax I bought sucks, its the model comparable to the 110. I feel like it has no power, I'm just not having good luck with trimmers right now haha. I think I'm going to bring my trimmer back tomorrow and buy something else. Maybe an echo 266, how are those?
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
03-08-2012, 11:55 PM
I got all of my STIHL equipment out last week (not winterized) and it started right up as if I had used it the the day before. I just don't get why so many people have problems with hand held equipment of any brand. For the most part all the manufactors of these machines make good equipment that should run for years if cared for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-09-2012, 12:41 AM
alright so i bought a 25 cc redmax, thats why it has no power, so I'm going to bring it back tomorrow and buy one of these...
ECHO
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Trimmers/SRM-280
RedMax
http://www.redmax.com/products/trimmers/bcz3050s/
Shindaiwa
http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Trimmers/T282X.aspx
My dealer sells all these brands, which would be the best out of these?

K&L Landscaping
03-09-2012, 07:04 AM
I still say go with the 3050 Redmax. However, I have never used the Echo or the Shindaiwa. I'm sure they are great units too. Good luck!

Sammy
03-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Bingo.

FUEL is the key. ..............

I LOVE Stihl equipment. It's always run excellent for me. But I'm also a freak about my mix. Must be 89, gray bottle Stihl HP, mixed exact at the pump. You can't go wrong.

I also believe that the quality of the gas makes a big difference.
Buy from a station that you know has clean tanks and quality gas.

Are you guys keeping your gas cans clean ?

All my 2-cycle equipment is Stihl. I have only had to clean the exhaust screen on one, once in the past 15-16 years.

When the temps go up, I run 92 octane with the Stihl Ultra, otherwise, I always use 89 octane.

Mikegyver
03-10-2012, 08:34 PM
That machine has more than enough power. Maybe its the string you are using? I use it to clear high grass sometimes and it does fine. Actually I used it to clean a path on a side of a bridge (grass was easily 1' high) and I used it to clean up a ditch. Works fine. Trust me man you will like that thing this summer when its 110 degrees out and 90% humidity. Every pound counts.
Mike

Federal Lawn Company
03-11-2012, 09:09 AM
This'll be the fourth year I've run the Shindaiwa's I originally bought. And I mean HARD, ALL DAY, DAY AFTER DAY running. 2-282 Trimmers, 1-242 Trimmer, 1-242 Edger, 1-EB802 Backpack. Don't settle for anything but the Speed-Feed heads in the trimmers, and don't worry about downtime...I've never had one fail on me yet. For any reason.
-David

David Thompson
03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
When I started in 2004 I was on a budget , like a no money budget. I went to the local pawn shops and bought stihl equipment because I knew my local dealer could get me parts. After rings and carb kits , new recoils and fuel lines I got 3 years of use out of my pawn shop stihls and was able to sell them for a fair price
when I got ready to buy new ones. The new ones were stihl solely based on the dealer support for the small guy who was just trying to get started.
David

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
This'll be the fourth year I've run the Shindaiwa's I originally bought. And I mean HARD, ALL DAY, DAY AFTER DAY running. 2-282 Trimmers, 1-242 Trimmer, 1-242 Edger, 1-EB802 Backpack. Don't settle for anything but the Speed-Feed heads in the trimmers, and don't worry about downtime...I've never had one fail on me yet. For any reason.
-David

as have been my results with stihl......

jackal
03-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I've run Stihl hand helds for years. Lately its been new carbs on older stuff to make them start like new.

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I understand others have had different experiences with stihl and you have to go with what you know and have experienced, but to say stihl is a bad brand is inaccurate.

I've had nothing but good experiences with stihl and the dealer support.

the only brands I currently buy is toro, exmark and stihl.

Mikegyver
03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Let me back up and say this...if stihl came up with a GOOD lightweight 2 cycle (not 4 mix) trimmer I would buy them up. I have 2 stihl blowers (600 and 85), a stihl chainsaw (290), stihl trimmer (FS74), stihl hedge trimmer (FS130 used to be a 4mix string trimmer but I switched gear boxes), and a stihl edger(fc72). The edger and the trimmer are at least 5-10 years old and they run like champs...the trimmer was free. We replaced rings and installed a carb kit and its good as new. The edger was $50 at an estate sale. They run better than my newer hedge trimmer (2010) which is a leaking mess of a machine that has issues. I just wanted a lighter trimmer and felt like most 2 cycles have a better power to weight ratio vs the 4mix.

JAX76CJ
03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Let me back up and say this...if stihl came up with a GOOD lightweight 2 cycle (not 4 mix) trimmer I would buy them up. I have 2 stihl blowers (600 and 85), a stihl chainsaw (290), stihl trimmer (FS74), stihl hedge trimmer (FS130 used to be a 4mix string trimmer but I switched gear boxes), and a stihl edger(fc72). The edger and the trimmer are at least 5-10 years old and they run like champs...the trimmer was free. We replaced rings and installed a carb kit and its good as new. The edger was $50 at an estate sale. They run better than my newer hedge trimmer (2010) which is a leaking mess of a machine that has issues. I just wanted a lighter trimmer and felt like most 2 cycles have a better power to weight ratio vs the 4mix.

Depending on your states Emissions laws... You can still purchase a Stihl FS-80 or FS-85RX (Not 4-Mix). It'll cost as much as the FS-90 though.

dhill4547
03-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I have stihl and husky's. I leave my stihl on trailer most of the time. the Husky is lighter and works great.

jojoleafsfan
03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I have had the same problems with my sthils, hard to start, gas leaking so i bought a Husqvarna 426 LST trimmer last summer, best thing i ever did. Its got lots of power its easy to start and havent seen a drop of gas anywhere. I still use my sthils for hedge trimming and pole saw but not for grass trimming. Joe

Mikegyver
03-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I have had the same problems with my sthils, hard to start, gas leaking so i bought a Husqvarna 426 LST trimmer last summer, best thing i ever did. Its got lots of power its easy to start and havent seen a drop of gas anywhere. I still use my sthils for hedge trimming and pole saw but not for grass trimming. Joe
That looks like an orange redmax...why not just buy the redmax?

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM

weight really isn't something I look at.

when I bought my last trimmer all I told the dealer was how many accounts a week I do and they recommended a few different models. I never touched any of them until I walked out the door with the one I bought.

maybe it's because I'm young and strong but I don't find carrying a trimmer around my properties a chore. so I don't ever check the weight when purchasing one. but I can carry the big dog trimmers around just as easily as the light weight models.

jojoleafsfan
03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Hey MCC lawn care one of the reason i didnt get a redmax is because they are very hard to find in Canada, i would have to order one from the states and i would like to feel one in my hands before buying one.

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey MCC lawn care one of the reason i didnt get a redmax is because they are very hard to find in Canada, i would have to order one from the states and i would like to feel one in my hands before buying one.

your not missing anything. I have redmax, shindawa, stihl, echo and husqvarna in my neck of the woods.

none of the brands are superior to the others.

personally I go with stihl.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-11-2012, 11:05 PM
I am looking to buy a new trimmer tomorrow, i am done with stihl. I had a fs 110r for about a year and half before it started being junk, then i bought another fs 110r about 6 months ago and it is already crap. The throttle sticks so it will stay locked down at full power, it never wants to starts and then today i went to use it and it was leaking gas everywhere. So my plan is to sell my old fs110, fix one that is only 6 months old, and then buy a new trimmer. I do not know which type of trimmer to buy. I was considering a husqvarna with equilvant power to the 110. which i think is around 27 or 29 cc's, i could be wrong. Any input on what trimmer i should buy would be great. thanks. I am also looking at hedge trimmers so i may consider one where you can use different attachmeants. Thanks!

I own 110 trimmers this be fourth yr
With np but I maintain them I check the values each month and make adjustment and each month they are cleaned and oil the throttle cable

Wecutgrass
03-12-2012, 12:32 AM
so i bought back the 2600 series redmax and picked up the 3060 TS. I like it, i think i need to break it in a little bit and then ill get more power out of it. I hope it gets more power over time.

Mikegyver
03-12-2012, 01:41 AM
weight really isn't something I look at.
Why not? I'm only 18. I got sick and tired of doing 3+ hrs solo trimming weekly with a heavy trimmer in very very very hot temps. Trust me you would be surprised with how much difference a light weight trimmer makes. It just handles so much better. Plus i find that we move much faster with lighter machines. Also my employees like the lighter ones much better. I'm wary of things like this 'cause I've messed up my back over the last few years while working on stuff for my other biz.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Why not? I'm only 18. I got sick and tired of doing 3+ hrs solo trimming weekly with a heavy trimmer in very very very hot temps. Trust me you would be surprised with how much difference a light weight trimmer makes. It just handles so much better. Plus i find that we move much faster with lighter machines. Also my employees like the lighter ones much better. I'm wary of things like this 'cause I've messed up my back over the last few years while working on stuff for my other biz.

Light weight trimmers waste time most time they are under power
If you have back problems now at 18 when you hit 30 you be in a wheel chair
I buy big trimmers I walk at a good speed my trimmers doesnt dog down

You sound like my 18 yr old son he sick tried packing a heavy trimmer in the heat I tell him trimmers today has more plastic on them now then they did in the 80s My trimers was FS86 was 15lbs and my FS110 think around 11-12

Richard Martin
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Depending on your states Emissions laws... You can still purchase a Stihl FS-80 or FS-85RX (Not 4-Mix). It'll cost as much as the FS-90 though.

That would be a good trick. The FS80 and 85 have been out of production for years now. If you know a dealer that has any you'd better buy them now because when those are gone, there won't be any more.

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM

probably because I don't find it a struggle in the least to carry a trimmer around my yards trimming each day.

I move fast enough as it is. I don't have back problems either. and like one said you have back problems at the age of 18. I'll be 31 this year and I've avoided back problems without the use of lighter equipment.

GMLC
03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Stihl does make a light weight trimmer, its the FS100. Most Stihl trimmers have a solid shaft so you can use attachments(very heavy duty). The FS100 is a dedicated trimmer and has a light weight cable shaft instead of a heavy solid shaft.

Mikegyver
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM

You sound like my 18 yr old son he sick tried packing a heavy trimmer in the heat I tell him trimmers today has more plastic on them now then they did in the 80s My trimers was FS86 was 15lbs and my FS110 think around 11-12
Its not too terrible I just have baseball sized knots in my lower back. Maybe thats normal IDK. Its not life threatening I just don't want to end up in a wheel chair like you said. And I will admit that an heavy trimmer is not going to hurt ones back. I just pay attention to this stuff. I know too many guys in their 50s and 60s that have chronic issues and I do all I can not to end up there.
Oh...I mentioned 3 hrs...we do much more than that in a day...its just that we have one account that takes 2 guys 1-2 hrs to trim. Or one guy around 3 hrs straight.
Bottom line- I am the boss, I am the one cutting the checks, I can decide what I want to use and I want a light trimmer. It does just fine for us. I can run and trim or edge and leave a perfect crisp yard. If we need a brush cutter I have a bike handle machine that is one of the most powerful on the market.
@GMLC...ya but its a 4-mix.
Mike (eating a bowl of Wheaties)

yardguy28
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Its not too terrible I just have baseball sized knots in my lower back. Maybe thats normal IDK. Its not life threatening I just don't want to end up in a wheel chair like you said. And I will admit that an heavy trimmer is not going to hurt ones back. I just pay attention to this stuff. I know too many guys in their 50s and 60s that have chronic issues and I do all I can not to end up there.
Oh...I mentioned 3 hrs...we do much more than that in a day...its just that we have one account that takes 2 guys 1-2 hrs to trim. Or one guy around 3 hrs straight.
Bottom line- I am the boss, I am the one cutting the checks, I can decide what I want to use and I want a light trimmer. It does just fine for us. I can run and trim or edge and leave a perfect crisp yard. If we need a brush cutter I have a bike handle machine that is one of the most powerful on the market.
@GMLC...ya but its a 4-mix.
Mike (eating a bowl of Wheaties)

see I don't trim nearly that much.

just around trees, light post, etc around the clients properties.

TriCountyLawn
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Its been hit or miss with me and Stihl. Ive worked for both Stihl,Echo and Shin houses and used Echo since ive been on my own. The only non-echo stuff I have are my saws (Stihl 361 &192T)

Shinindawa - Great blowers and trimmers, I like there trimmer guards the best.
Stihl - Heavy , hard starting and have leaky caps. One of my saws wasnt right from the factory and cost me a lil bit down the line to have it serviced. Great saws though.

Echo- trimmer and blower starts every time I yank on them. Would have bought echo saws had there been a dealer when I bought them. A few months after getting Stihls an echo dealer opened back up in my area. A friend of mine has a few echo saws and they are also very nice.

I always notice people talk about "power" when shoping for string trimmers and I know everyone has different needs but I never really get past 1/2 throttle when trimming. Most of the time just bumping it here and there. Its rare that I have to lay into nasty stuff and haven't needed more power yet.

Mikegyver
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
see I don't trim nearly that much.

just around trees, light post, etc around the clients properties.
Ya I think its around 1500-1700ft of edging there weekly (with a trimmer of course) but not sure. Plus trees, poles, large buildings, etc. It sits on around 3.5 acres so its not too terribly big just tons of small patches and strips.\
That account usually takes us 3-4 hrs and then we usually do some more. I like working 10 hr days.
Mike

lawnprosteveo
03-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Ive run Shindaiwa for years. I picked up a used Echo 265T this year and like it alot too. As for Stihl...I quit them right after they went to 4Mix. Just had too many problems with them.

mictrik
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I got all of my STIHL equipment out last week (not winterized) and it started right up as if I had used it the the day before. I just don't get why so many people have problems with hand held equipment of any brand. For the most part all the manufactors of these machines make good equipment that should run for years if cared for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly What I was thinking...

LawnmastersMikejr
03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Stihl chainsaws have treated me really good. I have two FS 90's and they are junk. As soon as I can afford to replace them I'm going to. One had a new clutch installed by the dealer under warranty and after about a week it started vibrating something awful. The valves have been adjusted regularly and they are both still hard to start. I really liked my Br600 blower but now it seems like its losing power day by day. The valves have been adjusted in that also. I only use Stihl mix and good gas. All of this stuff is just now on its third season. I too will be switching to Redmax.

Wecutgrass
03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I will say that the sthil Fs 110 has a lot more power then the redmax 3060 I think is the name. The redmax is so much lighter. I agree with your statement above about the br600 loosing power by the day. I have a redmax 7500 and it's so much more
Powerful then the Br600 it's crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
03-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Ya my 600 is losing power by the day also. Dealer will be adjusting the valves as soon as I go back in.

Wecutgrass
03-23-2012, 12:11 AM
My plan was to bring it in tomorrow but now I have to mow because it's been raining like crazy down here in new Orleans
Posted via Mobile Device

havok1359
03-24-2012, 01:27 PM
After reading this thread, it is realistic that everyone cant be pleased. At the same time not everyone treats their equipment the same too. I have used practically every brand out there (helping friends out time to time using their equipment) and as far as comfort, power, reliability & running into issues I will stand firm behind Stihl. I have run ONLY still for 10 yrs. In fact the original pieces I bought when I started, I still use. The only think I have ever changed on them are the basics (primer bulbs, strings and fuel). I WILL ONLY RUN STIHL !!!

They stay outside on trailer 24/7 and I keep the engines covered with rainproof covers I ordered for all hand held stuff & blowers. A lot of ppl just think they have to do is just fill with gas, start them & use them. There is more to it than that. A lot of the companies around here do just that. One friend in particular is awful on his stuff & thats why he is always replacing. Bad enough that even the dealers talk about how bad he is on equipment. Personally I clean my stuff every week. But thats just me. But then again, I have some 10 year equipment that runs like it did 10 years ago.

Mazda truck
6 x 12 open single axle
Exmark 48" rider
Honda 21
Stihl trimmers
Stihl Edgers
Stihl Blowers
:cool2:

Z's Lawncare
03-24-2012, 03:10 PM
i agree stihl is the best i just got done cutting a cemetery trimming for about 4 hrs straight, starts frist pull every time, i think keeping good fuel in the 4 mixs other wise vavles problems. i use to run 87 with stihl hp ultra and had problems started using 93 and makes a big difference.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-24-2012, 03:21 PM
i agree stihl is the best i just got done cutting a cemetery trimming for about 4 hrs straight, starts frist pull every time, i think keeping good fuel in the 4 mixs other wise vavles problems. i use to run 87 with stihl hp ultra and had problems started using 93 and makes a big difference.

Yes!!!
always run nothing less than 91 octane and high quality fully-syntethic oil, preferably Stihl HP ULTRA or AMSOIL SABER.

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I have been running 89. I guess I should step it up to 93. All my stuff is always in doors, aways change air filters and spark plugs and keep em clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I have been running 89. I guess I should step it up to 93. All my stuff is always in doors, aways change air filters and spark plugs and keep em clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

how did you come up with that conclusion from reading this thread?

what about the posts from people like myself who have used 87 octane with not a single problem?

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Because most people have problems with the 87 and the ones using 93 are experencing less problems. These gas prices are just getting outrageous
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Stihl here also,always ran 93 in it. Plus pull the spark screen out to,if this get clogged up it won't run. Make sure you also add some type of ethanol stabilizer in it. It will eat the o rings on them.

ricky86
03-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Wetgrass, tell me the starting procedure you use, without checking the owners manual.

jhouchins
03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
shindy 282. Its the boss!!! Can't bog that bad boy down. Runs about $43o after taxes though.

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM
shindy 282. Its the boss!!! Can't bog that bad boy down. Runs about $43o after taxes though.

It edges shitty edges pretty well? Overall I'm not Impressed with the redmax, my helper loves how light it is tho.
Posted via Mobile Device

watatrp
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I only use Echo trimmers. They usually run for a decade then I turn them into a backup for a couple of years then sell them in a garage sale for $25. My current trimmer just turned 11 years old. I've been doing this for 27 seasons and getting ready to buy my third new one. My Echo backpack blower is 13 years old. I still have an old Echo handheld blower that is over 15 years old. Can't throw it away cause it still works.

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 08:23 PM
That's insane, you use the one same trimmer on every lawn or do you have a few you rotate threw?
Posted via Mobile Device

woody123
03-24-2012, 08:45 PM

OK, obviously I don't post on here much, but I do lurk here a lot.

I have to ask, who is this guy and why does he hate grammar, spelling, sentence structure and logic.

I can barely understand what it is he is trying to convey, but what I do get doesn't seem very well thought out or helpful.

superdog1
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I read this entire thread and I had to laugh. It all boils down to the old Ford, Chevy and Dodge argument. If they went in and removed every thread like this one?, half the site content would be gone!, LMAO:hammerhead:

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
I read this entire thread and I had to laugh. It all boils down to the old Ford, Chevy and Dodge argument. If they went in and removed every thread like this one?, half the site content would be gone!, LMAO:hammerhead:
Haha ya that's what I've concluded. It's all user choice. But we all know Chevy and ford are better then dodge. There's no debate there.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Haha ya that's what I've concluded. It's all user choice. But we all know Chevy and ford are better then dodge. There's no debate there.
Posted via Mobile Device

We all know Ford is better then Chevy and Dodge.:waving:

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 10:00 PM
We all know Ford is better then Chevy and Dodge.:waving:

((: ya ya ya, I drive a ford, so I can't disagree there.
Question about the new stihl lithium ion battery powered equipment. Is it any good?
Posted via Mobile Device

ashley lawn
03-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I own stihl every thing string trimmers fs90's fs100rx's fs130's blowers bg600's bg86's hedge trimmers hs45 hs86's hl90 a a old 2 stroke pole saw forgot the number and more chain saws then i wanna try to name other then fuel lines and a few primer buttons never a problem
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I own stihl every thing string trimmers fs90's fs100rx's fs130's blowers bg600's bg86's hedge trimmers hs45 hs86's hl90 a a old 2 stroke pole saw forgot the number and more chain saws then i wanna try to name other then fuel lines and a few primer buttons never a problem
Posted via Mobile Device

what octane do you run threw them?

ashley lawn
03-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I run 89 0cane and only stihl oil 50:1 on the dot every time
Posted via Mobile Device

Wecutgrass
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
alright, thanks for your input.

grandview (2006)
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I run 89 0cane and only stihl oil 50:1 on the dot every time
Posted via Mobile Device

Way not run the 93 ,it's only 20 cents more a gallon.

ashley lawn
03-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I may just be real lucky but them 4 mix motors i can't say enough good about them leaf season my back pack blowers will have the throttle locked wide open 8-10 hours shuting down for nothing but fuel up and some lunch
Posted via Mobile Device

ashley lawn
03-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Because stihl says run mid grade and there smarter then me
Posted via Mobile Device

ashley lawn
03-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Wecut grass what do u want for your 110 shipped to network
Posted via Mobile Device

ashley lawn
03-24-2012, 10:52 PM
newyork *
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I run both Stihl and Echo. I have several Echo trimmers, blowers, and a pole saw. The trimmers are old SRM 240's and are better than 15 years old. While they have taken small maintenenance (hose and primer bulb replacement, starter cord, and bump heads), the trimmers themselves still run strong and dependable. They fire right up on a couple of pulls...whether they have been sitting for 5 months, or 5 hours. The blowers, PB 600 and 650's, are the same. Yeah,...some duct taped hoses, and they are a little weaker now than they were, these machines are nothing short of amazing. My Stihl equipment, chainsaws, and FC95 power units (1 stick edger, one power sweep) and another extended reach pole trimmer, are ok. they are very temperamental to start, and I have 2 FC units (one 95, and 1 smaller unit from hedge trimmer) that I cannot get running at this time. It is a fuel situation, as I am getting good spark from both. I have put more work in to the newer Stihl equipment than I have ALL of my Echo equipment over the 28 years that I've used Echo. I am getting ready to make some purchases myself, and while I have been looking at Stihl, alot of arrows are pointing toward Echo. And for those wondering, there was no Home Depot back when we were running Echo. Also, John Deere was using Echo for their equipment at the time (not that that means anything). Just because HD is carrying them now, does not take away from the quality of their commercial stuff.

yardguy28
03-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Because most people have problems with the 87 and the ones using 93 are experencing less problems. These gas prices are just getting outrageous
Posted via Mobile Device

we must be reading a diff thread because I didn't gather that at all.

I know people CLAIM they have problems due to using 87 octane but I don't buy it.

do you believe everything you read?

woody123
03-25-2012, 11:28 AM
we must be reading a diff thread because I didn't gather that at all.

I know people CLAIM they have problems due to using 87 octane but I don't buy it.

do you believe everything you read?

I have to agree with this.

There is no way that these small engines need the higher octane rating. If there is a difference it is because the higher octane fuel doesn't have ethanol in it, not because of the octane rating.

So what we should really be talking about is ethanol vs. no ethanol fuel. And of course, 18 year old that no want back brerake, big possy.

ricky86
03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
They should be using 89. It's a cushion to help curb detonation, also low quality fuel.
It just help things run cooler. Too many "experts" think if 87 is ok then 91 is better.
They are wrong.

GMLC
03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
89 octane is a must with high compression engines and high temps. I have personally seen the damage low octane fuel does to a piston, especially in 2 cycle engines. I have never had problems with my Stihl equipment and I have run Stihl for 15 years. I honestly believe its because I run 89 octane and mix at 50:1 with high quality synthetic oil. Just like Stihl recommends.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna have to laugh at both of you.

"89 should be used", "89 is a must".

I'm 30 years old and have been running 2 cycle equipment since I was 14. been in the lawn business for 6 years now. I've never and I mean NEVER have bought a single ounce of any fuel other than 87 octane for any vehicle or piece of equipment.

nor have i had an ounce of trouble with any vehicle or piece of equipment from using 87 octane.

so yep "I should be using 89 octane, it's a must"......:hammerhead::laugh::hammerhead:

GMLC
03-25-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm gonna have to laugh at both of you.

"89 should be used", "89 is a must".

I'm 30 years old and have been running 2 cycle equipment since I was 14. been in the lawn business for 6 years now. I've never and I mean NEVER have bought a single ounce of any fuel other than 87 octane for any vehicle or piece of equipment.

nor have i had an ounce of trouble with any vehicle or piece of equipment from using 87 octane.

so yep "I should be using 89 octane, it's a must"......:hammerhead::laugh::hammerhead:

And I have friends that chage their oil once every three years and get 200000 miles out of their vehicle. Just because it works sometimes doesn't mean it's the norm. Like I said I have personally seen the damage it can cause. High compression engines at high temps need higher octane to avoid pre-ignition. I was a master tech got 12 years, talk to any tech.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Stihl manual said mid grade but if less then 89 octane use high grade premium

clay duncan
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
i was having problems using 87 in my 4-mix motors. i was fouling spark plugs on a regular basis. the plugs were not just black but also had a crusty gunk on them as well. per the owners manuel, i started using 89 and it solved my problems. i have 10- 4-mix pieces of equipment and i would not consider anything else........another thing i have learned about them is to put some dielectric grease on the spark plug boot to seal out moisture. this will really help on starting if the equipment gets rained on...........clay

yardguy28
03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
And I have friends that chage their oil once every three years and get 200000 miles out of their vehicle. Just because it works sometimes doesn't mean it's the norm. Like I said I have personally seen the damage it can cause. High compression engines at high temps need higher octane to avoid pre-ignition. I was a master tech got 12 years, talk to any tech.
Posted via Mobile Device

tech or no tech I stick with I personally have experienced and know works.

so I'm suppose to start using 89 octane for the sole reason that some techs on a website said to.

I've experienced not a single problem in 16 years with running 87 octane in my stihl trimmers, blowers and edger. and I get more than enough life out of my equipment doing so.

yep makes a lot of sense to me. I better switch to 89 octane right away to avoid any problems that I've never had in the first place......:hammerhead:

ashley lawn
03-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Yardguy28 i hate to brake it to you but that tech at stihl is alot smarter then you or any one else on this sight i highly doubt he just made that up so every one that owns stihl will spend an extra 20 cents a gallon
Posted via Mobile Device

GMLC
03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Yardguy28, Now I'm going to laugh at you. You nor I are qualified to tell anyone anything other than what is in the owners manual. You obey all safety recommendations in the owners manual but not the recommended operating instructions? You must be smarter than Stihl. You should ask for a job! I normally agree with you but your way off base here. I have never rolled a mower, should I tell everyone not to use ROPS? I have never broken a window or hurt anyone, should I tell everyone not to get insurance? Just because you have gotten away with 87 octane doesn't make it gospel. Always stick with the manufactures recommendations and don't void your warranty.
Posted via Mobile Device

ashley lawn
03-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Yardguy28 i hate to brake it to you but that tech at stihl is alot smarter then you or any one else on this sight i highly doubt he just made that up so every one that owns stihl will spend an extra 20 cents a gallon
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
03-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Attn: STIHL -- You have been doing it all wrong! Yardguy28 is 30 years old and has 16 years experience with small engines. Undoubtedly he knows more than your 6-figure salary engineers. I think you need to hire this guy. Never mind the fact you have been in business for 86 years, employ over 7000 people, and designed and hand-built the first chainsaw. That means nothing compared to Yardguy28's vast experience in 2-stroke engines. Hire him immediately and rise above the competition! You will surely encompass a monopoly on the small-equipment market.

knox gsl
03-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I've run 87 in trimmers also but then realized that the 89 and 92 run better. You will not always hear a change but its there and predetonation is a slow killer. I use about 10 gallons of mix fuel a month or about $2.00 extra per month. I will gladly pay $2.00 a month to help make my blowers, trimmers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers and tillers last longer.

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm gonna have a good laugh at you guys instead of getting all upset for you guys going too far and taking my posts out of context.

a few things for you guys to consider. don't you think I see what your seeing in me, in you? you see me so insistent on using 87 and I see you so insistent on using 89.

my posts were merely pointing out that it's not an absolute, set in stone fact/rule/law that you have to use 89 octane. in my experience it's not necessary. you wanna use 89 octane go right ahead. I was just pointing out for those skeptical or thinking of the added cost, it's not a definite you will have problems in you use 87.

to address the comment about how I follow the manual in regards to the safety devices but not the operations section. well you could say that but to be honest I never read the manuals for my equipment in the first place. I would leave the safety devices on with or without a manual, whether the manual said to leave them on or off.

everyone is free to do what they want. use whatever fuel they want. my point is its not an absolute with what fuel you use and equipment failure.

GMLC
03-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm gonna have a good laugh at you guys instead of getting all upset for you guys going too far and taking my posts out of context.

a few things for you guys to consider. don't you think I see what your seeing in me, in you? you see me so insistent on using 87 and I see you so insistent on using 89.

my posts were merely pointing out that it's not an absolute, set in stone fact/rule/law that you have to use 89 octane. in my experience it's not necessary. you wanna use 89 octane go right ahead. I was just pointing out for those skeptical or thinking of the added cost, it's not a definite you will have problems in you use 87.

to address the comment about how I follow the manual in regards to the safety devices but not the operations section. well you could say that but to be honest I never read the manuals for my equipment in the first place. I would leave the safety devices on with or without a manual, whether the manual said to leave them on or off.

everyone is free to do what they want. use whatever fuel they want. my point is its not an absolute with what fuel you use and equipment failure.

Keep in mind its not me saying "use 89 octane" its Stihl. Again, you nor I are qualified enough to tell others anything except whats recommended by the manufacturer.

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Keep in mind its not me saying "use 89 octane" its Stihl. Again, you nor I are qualified enough to tell others anything except whats recommended by the manufacturer.

I'm qualified to tell others what I use and my experience with using it. that's the whole point.

I'm not trying to say one way or the other on which one to use. I'm saying in my experience in the 14 years I've been using 2 cycle equipment I've been using 87 octane and have yet to have a problem from using 87 octane.

GMLC
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm qualified to tell others what I use and my experience with using it. that's the whole point.

I'm not trying to say one way or the other on which one to use. I'm saying in my experience in the 14 years I've been using 2 cycle equipment I've been using 87 octane and have yet to have a problem from using 87 octane.

And I have rebuilt hundreds of 2 cycle engines due to pre-ignition damage and scortched pistons.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-26-2012, 03:24 PM
wasn't tying to call anyone a liar but honestly how can you expect me to switch when in 16 years I haven't had a single problem?

we all go by our experiences. in mine the 87 octane hasn't done a negative thing. in yours it has.

I'm not necessarily trying to change someone's mind only letting people know there is a chance 87 octane will work. it does for me. and I'm not switching just because others have problems.

cashishift
03-27-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a FS90R & a BG86 blower.

Run Stihl HP Ultra and premium no ethanol fuel with a squirt of Lucas fuel treatment & Sta Bil added to each mix.

Very happy with their performance, I imagine when I get them back from being serviced they'll be even better!

grass disaster
03-27-2012, 05:19 AM
I have a km110 that I do the big stuff with.

I have a curved fs46 I do my finish stuff with. I can't get used to the straight shaft rotation.

I just sold my 2 year old trimmer to a guy at work and bought a new shinny one. Cost me $90 with the trade.

I could have gottn the 4 year warrenty if I bought the 6 pack of oil but I run amsoil and never had problems with them.

I was impressed they offered 4 year protection. But I like getting a new one every few years.
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
03-28-2012, 03:27 PM
and I'm not switching just because others have problems.

That's like saying you weren't going to get rid of your Firestone tires on your Explorer because they haven't blown yet.

clydebusa
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I call BS on this.

Probably the same smart guy that engineered the gas cap a few years back.:nono:

underPSI
03-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I call BS on this.

Probably the same smart guy that engineered the gas cap a few years back.:nono:

Yeah, because Stihl makes a lot of money from the oil they refine and turn into gasoline.

yardguy28
03-28-2012, 10:05 PM
That's like saying you weren't going to get rid of your Firestone tires on your Explorer because they haven't blown yet.

that's some messed up logic you have going on.

so let's see in 16 years I haven't had a single trouble running 87 octane and now all of a sudden I should switch because others in the country are having problems.

I should switch my way because others are having problems. that's a great idea. change the way I do things because other people are having problems that don't affect me in the least......:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

RLS24
03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Everybody rants and raves about Stihl so I thought I'd try it out. I bought a hand blower at the beginning of last season, and it never really ran right always had to pull and pull to get it to start, even when it was warm and even when it was started and warmed up it always surged and just was never right. We were really busy last spring so I never really did anything about it for a while and just dealt with it. In the meantime I bought an edger from Stihl, and about 2 weeks after I got it I noticed it vibrated really really bad when the blade would be a little worn but would go away with a new blade. I took it back and forth to the dealer literally about 12 times and they kept saying it was the J-Thomas blades I was using and I had to buy the $4 Stihl blades which I didn't believe. In the meantime, I took the blower in, and they charged me $90 to replace the air filter, plug, and some part of the muffler that was supposedly clogged and said "operator error is not covered under the warranty" I guess I don't know how to start a 2 stroke engine apparently. So I dumped the blower, and finally gave up on the edger and it sat for the rest of the year because they said there was nothing wrong with it besides the blades and I ran out of patience with the dealer. Over the winter I took it to another dealer and paid to have the drive cable replaced which solved the problem but I sold it just cuz I was done with it.

On a side note, I have 2 Echo SRM-210 trimmers that I bought 6 years ago when I started landscaping, and I use them every day, they still start on 1 or 2 pulls and run great. I also have an old PB-200 blower that I bought around the same time. I had to dig it out when the stihl blower went in for service and it hadnt been used in almost a year, had old gas in it and it fired up on like 5 pulls and ran like a champ. I also have a Kawasaki hedge trimmer, I got a deal on it which is why I ended up with it. I'm not CRAZY about it but it runs good and has decent power jsut seems to take a bit longer to warm up. I'm not a fan of Echo's newer blowers and really like RedMax for blowers, but as far as I'm concerned I'll only ever buy RedMax blowers and Echo everything else.

yardguy28
03-29-2012, 06:14 PM
I always say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

for me I've had nothing but great experiences so I have no reason to switch brands or check another one out.

same with all of my equipment. I stick with what I know and have had good experience with.

lawnboy dan
03-31-2012, 08:42 AM
mostly bad experience with sthil. most unreliable brand i have owned -never again