PDA

View Full Version : Best way to tell gas cans apart?

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I have 2 gas cans that I plan to use that are same exact can, one for mixed gas, one for plain gas. How do you mark them? I have them marked with a sharpie (one says Stihl 50:1 and other is blank) but want idea for better way to tell them apart.

KLAlawncare
03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
sharpies or spray paint always worked for me so far

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 07:53 PM

I wish they made orange cans for mixed gas really.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Electrical tape,
Purple for mix gas.
Yellow for gas.

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Electrical tape,
Purple for mix gas.
Yellow for gas.

That was one of my ideas, where do you put the tape? I was thinking ring on nozzle of plain gas, and nothing on mixed (or vice versa)

KLAlawncare
03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
well if ya want my 2cents i used 5 gal race cans made for motocross, they are great for fast filling the big mowers yet still easy to pour into whips/blowers ect. and they come in a bunch of different colors......red white blue green orange ect

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
well if ya want my 2cents i used 5 gal race cans made for motocross, they are great for fast filling the big mowers yet still easy to pour into whips/blowers ect. and they come in a bunch of different colors......red white blue green orange ect

My plan is to take 2 1gal cans with me (that I already have, from when I got weed whackers from Sears before, put them in attic and never used them, and found them recently.) I would fill the plain gas one from my 5gal can. I only use a 21" mower so 1 gal at a time is good for me, plus I would refill from the 5gal before I leave.

KLAlawncare
03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
i use these type of cans

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 08:08 PM
i use these type of cans

I like that idea except that legally, a gas station is not supposed to allow you to fill gas into any color container but red, diesel yellow etc., and most won't if they catch you.

I would just spray paint the one you want to use for mix black (or whatever color you want) from about the midway point on down to the bottom.

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Maybe I will just carry the bigger 2.5 gallon can but I don't like that idea. I have a 1-1/4 gallon can but its been used for my 40:1 mix for years. Would it be a problem if I cleaned it out well?

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-04-2012, 08:13 PM
That was one of my ideas, where do you put the tape? I was thinking ring on nozzle of plain gas, and nothing on mixed (or vice versa)

I put mine around the carrying handle.

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I put mine around the carrying handle.

That makes more sense for sure. Thanks!

weeze
03-04-2012, 08:16 PM
i use 5 gallon for gas and 1 gallon for mix. i write mix on the small can under the handle with a sharpie. i also write on the yellow top thing of the can where the arrow is with a black sharpie. it makes it easier to see how to line the arrows up at a glance. i usually never even carry them with me each day. i'm solo so i can fill up my mower, trimmer, and blower and they will last me all day without me having to add more gas into them. this is really good since gas prices are going way up. who knows what idiot would run off with your gas can?

JB1
03-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I like that idea except that legally, a gas station is not supposed to allow you to fill gas into any color container but red, diesel yellow etc., and most won't if they catch you.

I would just spray paint the one you want to use for mix black (or whatever color you want) from about the midway point on down to the bottom.

have you ever seen them stop anybody for filling any kind of container.

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 08:20 PM

If they see you, and care, they remotely kill pump.

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM

Yes I have, and I have seen it at more than one station here. It was a couple years ago, but they were really cracking down at the time for some reason.

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
If they see you, and care, they remotely kill pump.

They do this, and yell over the PA system to stop what you are doing. I saw one lady at a station run out to the guy at the pump and tell him in no uncertain terms that he had to use the right container or the station could get a huge fine.

THEGOLDPRO
03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
i just use blue kerosene cans for my mix gas, that way no one gets confused.
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/5f/f/AAAAAoAoVRYAAAAAAF_3Sg.jpg?v=1185765935000

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I think I will try the tape on handle trick, or just carry a larger can. Any other ideas?

jsslawncare
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
i use these type of cans

What cans are you talking about and can you get a close up of the poster's on the window's?

JB1 are you still with us? Did you make it though the storms ok?

weeze
03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
they don't even sell kerosene around here anymore. they have it at like lowe's or somewhere and it's like $15 for a gallon or some crap. the gas stations no longer have kerosene pumps. i don't see the kerosene cans for sale anywhere only red and yellow cans. i guess you could order one online though. :D

THEGOLDPRO
03-04-2012, 08:54 PM
they don't even sell kerosene around here anymore. they have it at like lowe's or somewhere and it's like $15 for a gallon or some crap. the gas stations no longer have kerosene pumps. i don't see the kerosene cans for sale anywhere only red and yellow cans. i guess you could order one online though. :D

Trust me when i say after the first time an employee puts reg gas in a backpack blower and blows the engine you will go out and buy blue cans for mix gas.

Tape comes off and marker fades, People get confused and make mistakes, Next thing you know your buying a new trimmer or blower. When the cans blue there is no excuse for making mistakes.

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Trust me when i say after the first time an employee puts reg gas in a backpack blower and blows the engine you will go out and buy blue cans for mix gas.

Tape comes off and marker fades, People get confused and make mistakes, Next thing you know your buying a new trimmer or blower. When the cans blue there is no excuse for making mistakes.

One reason I prefer to stay solo! :weightlifter:

I like to use 2 different size cans but don't really want to carry more then 1 gallon if possible.

JB1
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
What cans are you talking about and can you get a close up of the poster's on the window's?

JB1 are you still with us? Did you make it though the storms ok?

yes I'm still here, it veered off and just went north of us and destroyed everything, we were very lucky. as you probably have seen the vieo.

NMS0219
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I just stopped carrying plain fuel. We run mix thru everything. With the new blend of fuel the mix keeps it fresh longer.

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 09:02 PM
yes I'm still here, it veered off and just went north of us and destroyed everything, we were very lucky. as you probably have seen the vieo.

Lucky it missed ya! Glad nothing formed up this far north! That was a crazy storm, imagine if it had been snow! :laugh:

205mx
03-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I have 2 gas cans that I plan to use that are same exact can, one for mixed gas, one for plain gas. How do you mark them? I have them marked with a sharpie (one says Stihl 50:1 and other is blank) but want idea for better way to tell them apart.

Colored duct tape on one. make it a bright color if you have employees

crazymike
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I just stopped carrying plain fuel. We run mix thru everything. With the new blend of fuel the mix keeps it fresh longer.

You must be joking...

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 09:22 PM
You must be joking...

I hope so too. I ain't putting mixed gas in my new Honda! :nono:

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-04-2012, 09:27 PM
We use blue diesel jugs for mix. Red for non mix. No mistakes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moose's Mowing
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
i use these type of cans

are these type of cans CARB compliant or whatever? aka, do they have those sucky bubbler anti spill spring loaded whatchamahoozies that make you spill 1/2 the gas on the ground anyway? If not, I'm gonna go buy 50 of them.

Landscape Poet
03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
. When the cans blue there is no excuse for making mistakes.

Unless they are color blind! ;);):cool2:

Salcido Lawn
03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I agree with THEGOLDPRO, I use the Blue 5 gallon kerosene cans for mixed gas and Red 5 gallon gas cans for regular gas. I've never had my guys mix them up & I run 4 crews. And they sell the Blue kerosene cans at Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&productId=3111257&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Blitz%205-Gallon%20Plastic%20Gas%20Can&CAWELAID=1023903203

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 10:02 PM
You must be joking...

Expensive to say the least, doubt he will have any problems with upper cylinder lubrication. His only problem will be more frequent spark plug changes.

I've run mixed fuel in mowers and anything I've ran out of fuel on...no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

USA Lawn Care
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
i like the idea of the different colored cans in the photo.
I've always just taken a can of blue spray paint to my mix gas cans.
Makes it pretty hard to get them mixed up.

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
We have all Eagle metal cans for non mix and plastic cans for mix. I have an old 2.5 gallon one that ypu fellas would love to have...it's one with a vent! Just recently I loaned one out to a tennant and she lost it...said she would go to WalMart and buy me a new one, I told her "don't bother".
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnMan19
03-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Same here they always worked for me too.

Ridin' Green
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
We have all Eagle metal cans for non mix and plastic cans for mix. I have an old 2.5 gallon one that ypu fellas would love to have...it's one with a vent! Just recently I loaned one out to a tennant and she lost it...said she would go to WalMart and buy me a new one, I told her "don't bother".
Posted via Mobile Device

A while back there was one of these fuel can threads running, and I posted this in that one too-
I have about 15 fuel cans mostly in 5G, but some are 2.5G, 2G, 1.5 G and 1G sizes, and I have both gas and diesel, and all but two have actual vents. None are for sale either.:nono:

mikeypizano
03-04-2012, 11:13 PM
A while back there was one of these fuel can threads running, and I posted this in that one too-
I have about 15 fuel cans mostly in 5G, but some are 2.5G, 2G, 1.5 G and 1G sizes, and I have both gas and diesel, and all but two have actual vents. None are for sale either.:nono:

I have 4 cans, one is a new one, the other 3 are old style Craftsman! Hard yellow spout and a VENT!

yardguy28
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
my plain gas can has a different spout than the mix cans. that's how I tell them apart but I do like the idea of using blue kerosene cans.

personally I've never heard of it being a law as to what kind of container you put the fuel in or what color it is.

Salcido Lawn
03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I've been putting mixed gas in the blue cans for 8 years and have NEVER had a problem at a gas station.

yardguy28
03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
I can't imagine anyone cares what you put it in as long as it has a lid. I mean come on, people come to gas stations with 55 gallon drums.

must be a state to state thing.

Ridin' Green
03-05-2012, 12:20 AM
It used to be that when you went to gas stations, the plastic pump handle cover would match the color of the can required to pump it into. I don't see that near as much around here as I used to, but I still see it at some stations. Most stations just replace the plastic piece with black covers when the original wore out.

Take a look sometime when you pump gas. Green or yellow for diesel pumps, blue for kerosene, and red for gasoline. Many of the stations here used to have signs right on the pump standard that warned you about using the wrong color can to pump fuel into.

Runner
03-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Actually, it IS federal. However, what it depends on is the education and tentativeness of the $8 an hour station clerk. For our cans, we use large (5 gal.) cans for the larger machinery (mowers, etc.), and 2 1/2 gal. cans for the small 2 stroker stuff (trimmers, saw, blowers, etc.). It works out great that way, since handling is a breeze with the small stuff. Mikey, you mentioned something about rinsing the can out real well to use it for something else - were you referring to going from mixed gas in to straight gas? If that is the case, you wouldn't have anything to worry about, since mixed gas (especially that little bit) wouldn't do any harm running in a regular gas burning motor. we have run 2 cycle mixed gas in mowers and stuff many many times when we were out of regular. While it may or may not smoke just a little bit, it certainly won't hurt anything.

weeze
03-05-2012, 12:46 AM

i guess it's easier since i'm solo. 5 gallon can is regular gas and 1 gallon is mix. i never even take them with me when out working. i fill everything up in the morning and it lasts me all day. :cool2:

Ridin' Green
03-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I just lifted this from the Blitz PFC website-

A: Our cans are certified by ASTM standards which mandate that all gas cans be red, all diesel cans yellow, and all kerosine cans blue. If using Blitz cans for oil mixes, be sure to clearly label them as such.

I lifted the following info below from this site-
http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/pfc/2005/cp501.pdf

2.2 Color
Portable fuel containers shall be color coded for specific fuels:
a) Gasoline – red;
b) Diesel – yellow; and
c) Kerosene – blue.
Each portable fuel container must have identification markings on the
container and on the spill-proof spout.
a) Red containers shall be permanently identified with the embossed
language, or permanent durable label “GASOLINE” in minimum 34-point
Arial font or a font of equivalent proportions.
b) Yellow containers shall be permanently identified with the embossed
language, or permanent durable label “DIESEL” in minimum 34-point
c) Blue containers shall be permanently identified with the embossed
language, or permanent durable label “KEROSENE” in minimum 34-point

Most of ASTM's info is available for a cost. If you want it, you can pay for it.

KLAlawncare
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
are these type of cans CARB compliant or whatever? aka, do they have those sucky bubbler anti spill spring loaded whatchamahoozies that make you spill 1/2 the gas on the ground anyway? If not, I'm gonna go buy 50 of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

KLAlawncare
03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Nope straight flow....I don't bother with that emittions garbage
Posted via Mobile Device

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-05-2012, 03:42 AM
I put a strip of duct tape across them and mark it with a sharpie.

Richard Martin
03-05-2012, 05:55 AM
I hate to be the one to point this out but if you get stopped for an inspection and gasoline is in anything but a red can, you will get a big fat fine. Fire departments and others rely on the can color to tell them what you're carrying and adjust their response to your emergency accordingly. If they think you have diesel and it turns out that it's gas instead, it could get ugly.

Just sayin'

yardguy28
03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
this may all be about laws and fines for putting fuel in the wrong color container but I guess since all my cans are red I really don't have that problem so I've never looked into it.

davidcalhoun
03-05-2012, 09:53 AM
The consensus seems to be able to quickly tell the two difference types of gas apart quickly and with simplicity. Especially if you have employees.

Like others on here, I have always used a 5 gallon can for regular gas and a 2 1/2 gallon can for mixed. even though I only use the 2 1/2 gallon cans for mixed gas, I still use permanent marker on the cans that say "45:1 mixed gas" (or what ever ratio you use). This makes it a really simple rule for all that will gas up equipment.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I write mixed on my mixed gas can in about 3 different spots. It also has a different cap on it.

A company I used to work for has their mixed gas in blue kerosene 5 gallon containers.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeypizano
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Also keeping mixed in blue container can be bad too, in case someone thinks its kerosene and uses it in a heater or something.

dhardin53
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone putting anything but kerosene in a blue can need to see what happens if someone accidentally puts that gas (with mix or not) in a space heater. "Its Not going to happen to me" don't make a friend or neighbors family feel any better at the funeral.

We have standards for a reason, if you choose not to fallow the standards is your choice.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Thankfully I dont carry anything but gas, mabye gas/oil mix but that's about it.

f50lvr2
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Some duct tape around the handle works well. But as many others have said, different color jugs is easy.

I actually bought yellow diesel jugs for my regular gas because I kept getting fuel stolen when I was working in back yards. Now, I'm assuming most gas thieves figure they don't need diesel so no more theft.

The best though is to buy a 2.5gallon red fuel can for your water jug then taking a sip while filling up at the gas station. The looks you get are hilarious!

yardguy28
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I didn't mention this early and probably shouldn't now but......

not to be a smart @ss but all you have to do is look at the fuel. if you can't tell the diff between regular fuel and fuel with oil in it maybe you shouldn't be behind a mower......

davidcalhoun
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
If your a one man operation, then do whatever floats your boat - your responsible. But if you have employees, you probably do not want to complicate things - your still responsible.

Patriot Services
03-05-2012, 02:23 PM
If your a one man operation, then do whatever floats your boat - your responsible. But if you have employees, you probably do not want to complicate things - your still responsible.

The very reason why the ONLY cans on my trucks are premix. The mowers hold enough for a full days work. The 21"s can be topped off with mix with no harm. I personally put the oil in each can so all they have to do is add fuel. You can't take back a wrecked 2 stroke because of fuel mistakes.:usflag:

Potomac Lawns Inc.
03-05-2012, 04:08 PM
You could use these for mix fuel http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200447903_200447903

or try the tags http://www.gemplers.com/list/Fuel+Tags

Color codes are normaly
RED-GAS
BLUE-Kerosene
YELLOW-Diesel
GREEN- Mixed/oils

Richard Martin
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I've spent a lot of time today trying to find the regulations for fuel can color coding. If ANY regulations exist, I can't find them. This isn't to say that there are none for individual states or localities but there is nothing Federal or DOT that says that gas cans must be red. There are regulations concerning the construction of the cans.

Sorry, my bad.

Ridin' Green
03-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I've spent a lot of time today trying to find the regulations for fuel can color coding. If ANY regulations exist, I can't find them. This isn't to say that there are none for individual states or localities but there is nothing Federal or DOT that says that gas cans must be red. There are regulations concerning the construction of the cans.

Sorry, my bad.

Maybe you missed my posts all throughout this thread. Take a look at the top of this page. Blitz has to follow the ASTM regs. You can get them from ASTM yourself, but you have to pay and that's why I didn't post them.

Richard Martin
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Maybe you missed my posts all throughout this thread. Take a look at the top of this page. Blitz has to follow the ASTM regs. You can get them from ASTM yourself, but you have to pay and that's why I didn't post them.

ASTM in not a regulatory agency. They are a private standards company. Some governments, state and or local, may require that all gas cans sold in their state must meet ASTM standards but it's not a Federal requirement. ASTM does not make regulations, they make standards.

NMS0219
03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
It is federal regulated. It falls under M.O.T.S. (Materials Of Trade Storage) https://hazmatonline.phmsa.dot.gov/services/publication_documents/MOTS05.pdf

Their is an osha section and a Fed DOT section that covers the proper storage of haz mat. The container must be labled properly ie.. must say gasoline on it

Richard Martin
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
It is federal regulated. It falls under M.O.T.S. (Materials Of Trade Storage) https://hazmatonline.phmsa.dot.gov/services/publication_documents/MOTS05.pdf

For the purposes of our debate, the color of the container is not regulated. And strangely enough, the DOT reg says to see the OSHA reg and the OSHA reg says to see the DOT reg.

yardguy28
03-05-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm gonna side with Richard cause I can't find anyone who seems to agree the color of the container is FED regulated.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
If you live in CA, CARB has a color code http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/pfc/2005/cp501.pdf

2.2 Color
Portable fuel containers shall be color coded for specific fuels:
a) Gasoline – red;
b) Diesel – yellow; and
c) Kerosene – blue.
Each portable fuel container must have identification markings on the
container and on the spill-proof spout.
a) Red containers shall be permanently identified with the embossed
language, or permanent durable label “GASOLINE” in minimum 34-point
b) Yellow containers shall be permanently identified with the embossed
language, or permanent durable label “DIESEL” in minimum 34-point
c) Blue containers shall be permanently identified with the embossed
language, or permanent durable label “KEROSENE” in minimum 34-point

Richard Martin
03-06-2012, 05:21 AM
If you live in CA, CARB has a color code http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/pfc/2005/cp501.pdf

I looked that over. That document only pertains to getting gas cans certified to sell in California. Those are not end user regulations.

MOW ED
03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I do two things one is to use small cans for the mixed fuel (2 gallon) and the 6 gallon for straight gas. The other thing is I use Flourescent Yellow Zip ties on the machine and the gas can. Now I don't have employees other than my self and occasionally my wife but it is a reminder never the less. The zip ties dont wash away like paint or sharpies and the bright color is hard to miss. The other thing is the sizes of the cans. It is difficult to fill a small 2 cycle machine with a 6 gallon can so all hand tools are filled with the easier to handle 2 gallon size cans. Good Luck.

mikeypizano
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Think I may make some kind of tags I can put on the one can. Thanks guys.

Pro-turf lawn
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I use yellow duct tape band around the two cycle can and a matching yellow sharpie dot on the caps of the trimmers and blowers that require two cycle
( I know its gettho but it works)

yardguy28
03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm confused as to why some of you also mark the equipment with a matching color. are people really that stupid they don't know mowers use regular fuel and hand holds use mix?

mikeypizano
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm confused as to why some of you also mark the equipment with a matching color. are people really that stupid they don't know mowers use regular fuel and hand holds use mix?

Some equipment isn't two stroke.

THEGOLDPRO
03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Im just going to stick to using the blue cans for mix fuel, Im not worried about people thinking its kerosine and putting it in kerosine heater because we dont have any kerosine heaters. everyone who works for me knows blue is mix, Red is reg gas. thats it, its not that hard to comprehend.

yardguy28
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Some equipment isn't two stroke.

most hand helds are still 2 stroke......

even so people are really that stupid they can't remember which equipment takes mix and which didn't......

cgaengineer
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Because an illegal who can't read can sure understand colors.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJLS
03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
i use the the left over oix mix bottles. They fit nice and tight over the spout.

mikeypizano
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
most hand helds are still 2 stroke......

even so people are really that stupid they can't remember which equipment takes mix and which didn't......

Okay, well my Stihl is technically a 4 stroke (4Mix) but uses mixed gas. Some had 4Mix stickers which may confuse people.

Patriot Services
03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Like I said I would rather some premix ended up in the lawnboy instead of straight gas into a 2 stroke. Ask one of the shop owners on here how many trashed pieces they get from fuel eff ups. If its in a jug its mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
We use 5 gallon cans for raw fuel and 2.5 gallon for 2 cycle fuel, and yellow for diesel.

mikeypizano
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone know a way to cap the old Gott gas cans? Mine still has the little black cap but I am worried about losing it so I want to know of a way that would work well in case it gets lost or broken.

yardguy28
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Because an illegal who can't read can sure understand colors.
Posted via Mobile Device

have an answer for that......

don't hire illegals......

DJLS
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
amleo.com # 10512 green gas cans for oli based fuel

Richard Martin
03-07-2012, 03:25 AM
amleo.com # 10512 green gas cans for oli based fuel

That's part number 10812.

http://www.amleo.com/safety-gas-can--type-1-green-oil-based-fuels-5-gallon/p/10812/

DJLS
03-07-2012, 07:44 AM
yes part number oops.:hammerhead: