PDA

View Full Version : Feed back on propane

gregwl77
03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
It's time for some new equipment and I'm thinking about going to propane.... Exmark turf tracer 48" for walkbehind and possibly kubota for zero turn. I'm looking for feed back on propane use, as well as the units above. Thanks for the input!

ed2hess
03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Conversions to propane is starting to get hot since the propane is at $2.25
a gallong and expected to go down in the summer. We have three units converted. The cost to convert is $500 after getting a $1K rebate from state.

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Conversions to propane is starting to get hot since the propane is at $2.25
a gallong and expected to go down in the summer. We have three units converted. The cost to convert is $500 after getting a $1K rebate from state.

I know there is a slight power loss with propane due to lower BTU, but do you get more hours per gallon?
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I know there is a slight power loss with propane due to lower BTU, but do you get more hours per gallon?
Posted via Mobile Device

You in theory use about 20% more propane per hr (basic math behind it). Some in the industry says 7% or nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-04-2012, 10:33 PM
You in theory use about 20% more propane per hr (basic math behind it). Some in the industry says 7% or nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Combine that with the power loss and it seems like you are going backwards.

Now increase compression ratio on sai engine and you should be able to squeeze more hp running propane. Than you would need direct injection.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
03-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Well I just used 10 gallong in 5.8hrs on a Turf tiger with mulch kit on. It has teh vangard on it 61" So $3.87 per hour. It has plenty of power. Don't know how much gas this unit was always propane.

cgaengineer
03-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Well I just used 10 gallong in 5.8hrs on a Turf tiger with mulch kit on. It has teh vangard on it 61" So $3.87 per hour. It has plenty of power. Don't know how much gas this unit was always propane.

That don't seem like much savings considering the aggravation of having to fill up at a propane place.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
That don't seem like much savings considering the aggravation of having to fill up at a propane place.
Posted via Mobile Device

I go in to the dealer every week anyway and I have 6 tanks so that holds me for a week. We brought out a business who had already converted two so kinda stuck. Today I discovered that my Tiger Cub ran 13 hours on a 10 gallon tank. I was floored.

amscontr
04-09-2012, 07:04 AM
We use a V twin B+S 16 hp propane hydraulic unit to power a huge log splitter and the fuel savings is amazing. A 20 lb BBQ size tanks runs our splitter all winter on 1 tank. Compared to a couple gallons a day @ 4.00 gal gas?

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I'd ask Hank Hill.

ed2hess
05-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Propane finally dropped below $2 now we save a little bit.

reast83
05-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Have your propane dealer set you a tank so you can fill your cylinders on your property.

reast83
05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Propane finally dropped below $2 now we save a little bit.

It should continue to drop.

JCA1
07-16-2012, 08:59 PM
It's been a while since I've logged in but I'm very happy to see this thread...why? I'm a propane service technician. Get a propane disp. set up on your property if your insurance will allow it. You will get an even better price per gallon since you'll be able to buy it off the bulk truck at commercial rates. If you're just starting to think about propane conversions, check with some local propane companies as they may even help pay for some of the conversion costs. Propane companies want to see this area really take off.

Ecotech
11-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I have the Turf Tiger Dual Fuel. It gives a good comparison between the gas and Propane since it is in one unit. There is a slight increase in power from running gas, but it is marginal at best. Scag says there is a 2hp bump, but I don't notice a difference. Propane is much easier starting then gas, and you will notice the difference in emissions immediately. The twin 40# tanks last longer then the 10 gallon tank and the cost to fill is less.

DR J
01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear some are running the lpg, wish we could have alot more.