PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer owners respond

jdubb44
03-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I just sold my lazer z that was like 6-7 years old it had the 27 horse kohler command engine. Im thinking hard about the new lazer z ( x Series ) 29 horse kawi engine. For the people that have made this move already can you tell me what to expect with this new mower and engine ( Fuel consumption difference, Cut quality,comfort etc ).... Thanks for the help !

blake101
03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I am looking at the Lazer z x series with the 27 Kohler, how did you like the engine?

lazer 46
03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I just sold my lazer z that was like 6-7 years old it had the 27 horse kohler command engine. Im thinking hard about the new lazer z ( x Series ) 29 horse kawi engine. For the people that have made this move already can you tell me what to expect with this new mower and engine ( Fuel consumption difference, Cut quality,comfort etc ).... Thanks for the help !

I have two Next Lazer Z's. A 34 hp and a 29 HP. They cut great but are not fuel efficient. At least two gallons an hour depending on what you are cutting. But they will cut anything. I suggest you get the suspension seat as the ride is rough without it. But I would own nothing but an Exmark. PM me if you have any questions.

944own
03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I bought my lazer x series last year with the 29 kawi and at first I was getting like 2 gph at best and after it hit 50 to 60 hours I saw a huge improvement in fuel consumption. Now it seems like no matter what I am cutting I keep up with it on every tank and I get right at 1.4 gph in any condition and the cut is second to none. I have had no problems at all so far (knock on wood) and the mower has about 150 hours on it. Still on original belts and blades. Just keep the blades sharp and they seem to still have much life left in them. The manual says change the air filter at 200 or 250 hours but I changed mine at about 125 just because it looked dirty. I changed the oil and filter at 5 hours with 10 w 30 conventional valvoline there after I have changed the oil and filter every 50 hours with 10 w 30 mobil 1. I would not hesitate to buy another one. Good luck and if I can answer any questions feel free to ask. One more thing as far as comfort you will not find a more comfortable seat that is one thing I like I am a big guy 215lbs and it feels like I am sitting in my recliner but the rubber grommets really make no difference on the seat it should come with a suspension seat. So the ride could be smoother but I am not one of the guys that really cares about speed and I just slow down. Im more concerned about cut quality than speed. I have not tried the suspension seat but that might be a option you may want to consider. I got the dealer to throw in the stripe roller and it stripes great and it should without it also. Also I paid $9500 plus tax with 0 hours on it but mine was actually a 2010 which is not actually the x series but it is the exact same mower as the x series without the x sticker on it.

tacoma200
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Well then I assume you know all the characteristics of the Ultra Cut decks so I won't waist you time talking about the deck. I have the same 29 HP Lazer Z X series. The Suspension seat plus the isomount suspension give it a much better ride and I can't emphasis that enough. My dealer allowed me to trade in the stock seat and I gave him $300 difference which includes mounting for a total of $10,300 (with the suspension seat). It is one of the best balanced mowers that I have been on. The controls are very smooth and I often will use it in area's that are delicate and tearing the turf is a concern. It also is one of the best hill mowers I have been on, it will keep up with my Turf Tiger on all but the steepest grades and will go forward down a hill with out sliding or loosing traction (in fact it's the best at going over a hill forward than any machine I've been on including standers). It is a very agile, fast, high tech machine and there have been very few reports of problems. As I have said in the past the Ultra cut throws clippings a long way and will clump more than a Scag Velocity but it leaves the table top cut that you are no doubt aware of. Good machine, wish the deck discharge was adjustable but thumbs up other than that. All Kawasaki's seem to drink fuel and the 29 is no different. I am thinking I was getting about 1.7 gph which is more fuel than my big block Briggs usually uses but the engine is very smooth and powerful. I would recommend it in all but wet overgrown conditions.

jdubb44
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the good info ! Hopefully people keep on replying I want to be as informed as possible.

r.eckley
03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I have a 2010 29 kaw . The engine was very noisy (valve train) but had good power. Used about 1.4 gph. Engine blew at 660hrs ,KAW replaced and new engine is much better than the old one. Haved not checked fuel consp. yet only put about 100 hrs. on it. Seems like it uses less fuel than my old one.
Also have 38h Kohler, it likes fuel. Anybody notice the higher fuel prices get the more fuel they use ?

willowick
03-06-2012, 12:23 AM
I am looking at the Lazer z x series with the 27 Kohler, how did you like the engine?

I have that with a 60" deck. No problems yet but only 90 hours on it so far. It seems to like its job. Rides kinda rough. Gets the job done well and contrary to what I read here, I think it's built well enough.

jdubb44
03-06-2012, 02:30 PM
my old exmark was a rough ride, but cut great

blake101
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I have that with a 60" deck. No problems yet but only 90 hours on it so far. It seems to like its job. Rides kinda rough. Gets the job done well and contrary to what I read here, I think it's built well enough.

Does 9900 sounds right for this mower? X series 52in cut with 27 Kohler?

jdubb44
03-06-2012, 03:11 PM
It does for around here

weaver
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Check this out... Exmark did a awesome job on the next series Lazer Z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j87PB9hzDFA

willowick
03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

That's about where I was out the door.

bohiaa
03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Check this out... Exmark did a awesome job on the next series Lazer Z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j87PB9hzDFA

I think the point of the video was to show the grade of the hill.

they never did cut grass.

Also I would love ot see stats on that engine.....

the oil starvation would be amazing

willowick
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Looked it up. That engine can handle 25 degrees. Not sure what kind of angle he's running at...

blake101
03-07-2012, 01:26 AM
That's about where I was out the door.

Hey Willowick, was that the same mower that I am looking at, the X series 52inch 27 hp.

blake101
03-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Went back and read the earlier post you have the 60 inch which means the 52 inch should be a little cheaper.

THEGOLDPRO
03-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Go for the efi if you want to save on fuel trust me, my new efi lazer is easily 20-30% better on fuel then my older lazer non efi.

willowick
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Went back and read the earlier post you have the 60 inch which means the 52 inch should be a little cheaper.

It was weird. He said he'd do either for pretty much the same price. Not sure if that's normal. As GoldPro mentions, the 27 Kohler likes fuel. It's my greatest disappointment with the machine...but it's not unreasonable IMO (I'd estimate ~1.5-1.8 gallons/hour). Kind of a nit pick as I was coming off a Kubota diesel and used that as my benchmark.

OTOH, it is very easy to do maintenance on, starts easily and doesn't go through much oil at all.

I'd also say that 27hp is enough power to run the deck as fast as the deck can process grass well, if that makes sense.

I like the machine and that price seems reasonable. If the dealer is good, I'd say go for it. If not, I'm sure you'd be just as happy with another top tier professional brand. I think they're all pretty good anymore.

blake101
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
It was weird. He said he'd do either for pretty much the same price. Not sure if that's normal. As GoldPro mentions, the 27 Kohler likes fuel. It's my greatest disappointment with the machine...but it's not unreasonable IMO (I'd estimate ~1.5-1.8 gallons/hour). Kind of a nit pick as I was coming off a Kubota diesel and used that as my benchmark.

OTOH, it is very easy to do maintenance on, starts easily and doesn't go through much oil at all.

I'd also say that 27hp is enough power to run the deck as fast as the deck can process grass well, if that makes sense.

I like the machine and that price seems reasonable. If the dealer is good, I'd say go for it. If not, I'm sure you'd be just as happy with another top tier professional brand. I think they're all pretty good anymore.

Thanks for the feed back. I never knew how much fuel they used, it does sound like a lot. Does anyone else have any feed back on the fuel, that you would like to share?

David W
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
We have had 3 next gen Lazer's all with 29Kaw's and they have been awesome. Fuel consumption on each one improved as the machines broke in. Some days we run them 8-9 hours straight with lunch break in there and averaged about 1.5 to 1.7 gallons an hour give or take. Got more around 2 when they were new. I never have run one to it was out of gas to really stretch it.

Very happy with the overall quality of cut and comfort of the machine. Holds up good, maintenance is easy, grease fittings (once a year) and they hold a hill like nobody's business. We have the upgraded two-tone color gray seat and find it quite comfy. Never have tried suspension seat but I'm sure it's worth it. I don't care what you operate all day, tractor, ZTR, skid steer, whatever seat, it still a long day bouncing around. Good luck with your purchase. Go Kawasaki though!

jdubb44
03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Bump
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
03-07-2012, 07:05 PM
What more do you want to know???? I feel like we have allready told you all you need to know on next gen lazers........

All you need to know is the next gen is a better machine in EVERY single aspect from the older lazers. And the efi units are twice as good as the non efi machines on fuel consumption.

End of story. Lets move on.

blake101
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM

Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Lazer z x series 52in with a 27 Kohler. Dealer had one left over from last year. 9200 out the door. Can anyone confirm if the is a good price for a new 2011? Crossing my fingers.

weaver
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Lazer z x series 52in with a 27 Kohler. Dealer had one left over from last year. 9200 out the door. Can anyone confirm if the is a good price for a new 2011? Crossing my fingers.

Really good deal cause a 48 " s series with tax otd runs about 8500...