PDA

View Full Version : Costa Del Mar sunglasses

Larson Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 06:32 PM
I need to find some good eye protection for trimming. Last year I bought some motorcycle glasses that had a foam insert. They were good but as soon as you get a little scratch on the lens, it becomes hard to see out of them. I need something that is scratch resistant, or something that the tint isn't just a film over the top... something that the lens is tinted all the way through. I've heard of people wearing the Costa Del Mar's. I went to the Bass Pro and tried some on. I liked the Man o war model with 580 glass lens. I am very skeptical about the glass lens but from the reviews I've seen, people have no issue. When they scratch, you can still see out of them. I would imagine the polycarbonate lenses are scratch proof as well. If anyone has used them, please chime in. I need some persuasion towards a good pair of sunglasses or safety glasses.

Larson Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm also looking for some good pants that absorb some of the little rocks that hurt like hell. I wear jeans but was hoping there was something that is light and easy to walk/jog in that have some better protection for your legs.

Also, shoes... I can't wear boots, I walk very fast when I trim so I need a waterproof hiking shoe/sneaker (low cut) that has good traction that doesn't wear too fast???

kennc38
03-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I need to find some good eye protection for trimming. Last year I bought some motorcycle glasses that had a foam insert. They were good but as soon as you get a little scratch on the lens, it becomes hard to see out of them. I need something that is scratch resistant, or something that the tint isn't just a film over the top... something that the lens is tinted all the way through. I've heard of people wearing the Costa Del Mar's. I went to the Bass Pro and tried some on. I liked the Man o war model with 580 glass lens. I am very skeptical about the glass lens but from the reviews I've seen, people have no issue. When they scratch, you can still see out of them. I would imagine the polycarbonate lenses are scratch proof as well. If anyone has used them, please chime in. I need some persuasion towards a good pair of sunglasses or safety glasses.

I have a pair of Costa Wave Killers and love them. However, they are not intended to be used as safety glasses, if though I've used them for such occasionally. If would buy some good quality safety glasses that have UV protection and use those because the Costas are too expensive to be used as safety glasses and the lenses are not completely scratch proof.

As far as pants are concerned, companies like Columbia, North Face, etc. make some nice hiking/fishing pants that are light and made from breathable material that will protect your legs from small rocks and other light objects. For shoes, check out New Balance as they have some hiking shoes that resemble tennis shoes that aren't nearly as heavy as normal boots. Hope this helps.

Larson Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
thanks, I'll check them out right now.

Larson Lawn Care
03-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I guess I'll have to see the pants in person, I tried to look at them online, but I don't know if they are durable enough.

CircleC
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Gotta look at Oakley. All there lenses are ANSI approved. You can get a basic work style wrap around that will protect your eyes. You can get just about any style and tint color. I wear them everyday for the past 5 yrs and have taken a few good rock hits and they performed as they should.

Pants...I wear carhardt double knee. They have some that are light weight canvas that are nice when it gets nice. They are tough and last. Also Dickies has a double knee work pant that is nice for the price. Around $20 at Wal-Mart. Thay are tough! More you wear them the better they feel.

Boots...I wear ASOLO hiking books. I think they are FSN95. Last longer than anything else I have tried before. I used Danner for years but just wore out way to fast for the price. ASOLO run me about $135. Last just about all season. Check out Sierra Trading Post for all of the above. I also wear smart wool socks from Sierra Trading Post. They are the best sock I have ever worn. I will NEVER wear a cotton sock to work again! I get then in ankle height for wearing shorts or calf high for everyday use! Trust me you will never wear cotton again!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
I have Costa Phantom with glass lenses...they are about 3 years old. Although they resist scraping much better than polycarbonate they still get scratched. I need to send mine in for repair before the scratches start affecting my vision.

Mine have taken some pretty good impacts so I know they are tough...I even ran them over with my quad and it crushed them...$9.99 and Costa repaired them.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigred13
03-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I wear Oakleys. They have reallyt good bllistic ratings, and if you are associated with any military, police fire or ems. You can get them for a great price. I wear 5.11 tactical pants and they are great for trimming. Also Merrell makes great hiking shoes, that are vented for warm weather wear!

cgaengineer
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Oakley...overpriced plastic...even more overpriced than Costa. Costas repair policy is one of the best.

I chose Costa not because of name, but because I am tired of crap plastic lenses and I wanted polarized.
Posted via Mobile Device

underPSI
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I wear Red Wing safety glasses. Love 'em.

ed2hess
03-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Take a look at the Orange County Chopper OCC601 with dust protectors.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/occ-40666.html

Ijustwantausername
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Costas all the way! I am a little biased though because I do a lot of offshore fishing and I am partial to costas. As you can see in the pictures, the 580 Blackfins offer great protection both on the sides and at the eyes because of the wide side frames. The 400 Harpoons are what I wear normally because of their comfort, thin sides and neat design. As you mentioned I do like the man o war, especially with the removable plastic sides. The 580's lens are a little darker and are great for full sun days too.

Some of the small spots on the lens are dust, but most are chips. They are both about 3 years old and I haven't returned them for anything. I had a pair of fathoms that I returned twice, (lots of wear) typically costa will just give you a new pair of glasses when you return them because its cheaper Would highly recommend.

pfcjs
03-05-2012, 11:44 PM
All of the replies have been excellent. I second Costa as being the best glasses I have ever put on, specially the 580 lenses. You will never find a more clear pair of lenses in your life. Also the smart wool socks will be the best sock you will ever wear.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-06-2012, 12:19 AM
I have a pair of costa del mars and they scratch easily. I use the stihl safety tinted glasses and have been using the same pair for years. Surprisingly I haven't ran over then yet like I did like 3 pairs before this including my costa del mars lol. Ive had my cosat del mars for about 2 years now tho. I use em when I drive my truck and the sun is to much through the windshield tint and when Im fishing. I also use them sometimes when Im on duty cause our units dont have any tint lol.

nola lawn maintenance
03-06-2012, 12:20 AM
ed2hess, i just purchased a pair of the OCC601's. On sale too. Thanks for the info.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-06-2012, 12:21 AM
hey IJustWantAUserName......if their scratched you send them in and they send you a new pair??????????

Ijustwantausername
03-06-2012, 12:26 AM
hey IJustWantAUserName......if their scratched you send them in and they send you a new pair??????????

Yes, but that's after the price they charge you to fix them. When I sent the pair in I was talking about, they charged me 69.95 to replace both the lens, but what they did was send me a brand new pair of glasses.

Ray_Lawns
03-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I wear Stihl tinted safteys when I am working. They serve the purpose great and for the price they are pretty much disposeable.

Outside of work i wear a pair of Kaenon Rhinos. They are from a designer that split off from Oakley. I tried on Costas and i used to be an only Oakley guy but the polarized lenses on the Kaenons are super nice. I love them and will buy them from now on.

weeble67
03-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I love my Oakley's, I have a pair that I mow with and I replace the lenses once a year. I will not mow without protection. I have a set that I use when I'm in the squad car as well as another set on the Harley.

cgaengineer
03-06-2012, 07:40 AM
As others have said, polarized glasses are the way to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Larson Lawn Care
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
What about glass over plastic lenses?

Larson Lawn Care
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Orange County Choppers look good. I might just buy several different pairs to see what works best. So far, O.C.C., Costa Del mar man o war's (polycarbonate lens??? or glass???), and probably some other fairly cheap brands. I don't like the Stihl's, I have a pair, don't care for them much, they scratch too easily.

Larson Lawn Care
03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm going to look into the Columbia, Dickies, Cintas, Carhartt and Northface pants. I have tried Merrel shoes, not gonna buy them anymore. I've tried Salamon's, from REI, the tread wore off too quick. I've tried many others but haven't found anything comfortable that lasts long enough.

CircleC
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Larson Lawn....I have tried all kinds of boots. You gotta go to Sierra Trading Post and check out the ASOLO FSN 95. Good price and they last. They do have a little break period but after break in they are awesome. If you don't have Sierra Trading post close by go online, they have an unbelievable return policy. They do have Carhart stuff at a major discount, all of it are 2nds but you can't even tell. Besides your just gunna beat the crap out of them...$56 at major retailer, $29 at Sierra.

Good luck...
Posted via Mobile Device

midsouth grass master
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Most of the sneaker type hikers I have worn hurt my feet after walking or standing on hard surfaces all day. I did have a pair of Vasque hikers though that were the best boot I have ever had! Too bad they discontinued them! I tried some newer ones and they were complete junk! Justin makes some good lace up work boots that are pretty good for the price. Be careful on the carhartt pants if you are in the South... damn things are hot in the summer!

cgaengineer
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
For pants...I get my work pants at good will...I ain't too proud.
Posted via Mobile Device

Larson Lawn Care
03-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I will not wear boots. I have to wear low cut waterproof shoes. The boots cause burns on my ankles/legs and they weigh too much. I walk...almost jog when I am trimming so something light that I can glide with. and I am definitely looking for a light weight pair of pants for the same reason. I don't want something that is too heavy and hard to walk in and it gets into the upper 90's low hundreds for some of the summer here.

Penscape Landscaping
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I wear Calcutta Fishing glasses great flexable and Polarized!