PDA

View Full Version : City Mowing ?

silverado212
03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Looking at bidding for one of the local cities here. First city bid and would like to know if it is normal for them to ask for ten percent of the total bid price to be included with the bid? I understand proof of Ins. and Workmans Comp., I have both and they are also asking for referrences. Any other things to consider. I will not intentionally low bid it. The work would be nice but I will not go broke on my account.

lifetree
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Looking at bidding for one of the local cities here. First city bid and would like to know if it is normal for them to ask for ten percent of the total bid price to be included with the bid? I understand proof of Ins. and Workmans Comp., I have both and they are also asking for referrences. Any other things to consider. I will not intentionally low bid it. The work would be nice but I will not go broke on my account.

I don't have any governmental accounts, however, I would steer clear of anything that required a deposit to be paid for consideration of the bid !!

derektaus
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
With city contracts they always pay on time so that is a bonus. There was just to many negative feedback for me to keep taking care of them. Our local contract has some nice area's that aren't hard to keep nice but most of them are nasty looking all the time and I didn't want my trucks seen on them. I don't know why they would ask you to put money down on it though? Unless you really need work I would steer clear.

howierd3866
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
most are call bid bond and performace bond......Bid bond is so you won't pull your bid out after you are awarded because you bid so low. Performane is after you sign the contract and started and then you figure you bid too low it so they can pay the next contractor

silverado212
03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
They are asking for cashiers check, certified check or approved surety bond.

old oak lawn
03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
They are asking for cashiers check, certified check or approved surety bond.

This is normal for large bids, the ones i have seen were well over $100,000. They want your check with your bid and it has to be a cashiers check or a certified check so they KNOW it is good. They will have a public bid opening and read the bids out, most people who bid will be there. If you are a losing bid they hand you your check back, if you are a wining bid then they hold the check and go through all your insurance,equipment requirements and so on to make sure you are able to do the work. If all is good you get your check back, if it is not and they have to Re-bid your check will be used for that purpose. The ones i have seen also require you to have a proformance bond if you want the contract. This is where it becomes a game for the big boys. Hope this helps