PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer ?'s..

meets1
03-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I do not have one and looking to get one.
a. what size? Load question yes but I want tandem axle, min 3500 pd total 7000k

b. different fronts - v-nose, square, rounded,

c. OUtside shell. Some I see are smooth, others are texture feeling, some all you see are the rivots.

d. steel frame vs aluma frame?

e. I want a ramp door on back but what about side door. Some I like then the next one I see looks beat up due to wind or forgot to latch good, etc.

f. Lighting - some have them built inside other not??

g. Vents - some have them other don't

h. Color - load quesions yes but is one better than the other for being kept clean, graphic, etc.

i. Brand?? Your oponion of best brand. What do you guys have and why?

johnyredd99
03-05-2012, 11:58 PM
a. what size? Load question yes but I want tandem axle, min 3500 pd total 7000k
WITH TANDEMS LOADS AND TIGHT TURNS DONT GO TOGETHER. UPGRADING TO 7K AXLES WILL HOLD UP BETTER AND ARE NOT MUCH MORE $ WHEN ORDERING TRAILER

b. different fronts - v-nose, square, rounded,
I HAVE NEVER SEEN ROUNDED. SOME SWEAR BY THE V, CLAIM BETTER MPG AND EXTRA SPACE. BEFORE BUYING SQUARE I WORKED FOR OTHER COMPANIES W/ THEM. WE OLD BUILD WORK BENCH AND STORAGE CABINETS UP FRONT. I THINK THAT WOULD BE HARD TO DO W/ A V

c. OUtside shell. Some I see are smooth, others are texture feeling, some all you see are the rivots.
I LIKE THE LOOK OF SMOOTH AND LETTERING GOES ON EASIER. RIVOTS TAKE AWAY FROM LOOK BUT IF EXTERIOR PANEL GETS DAMAGED UNSCREW RIVOTS AND REPLACE PANEL. LETTERING IS MORE TIME CONSUMING. I HAVE SEEN COMPANIES THAT GO RIGHT OVER THEM. LOOKS NICE AT FIRST BUT YEARS LATER VINYL CRACKS AROUND THEM. MY GUY PULLED RIVOTS OUT, LETTERED, PUT BACK IN. SOME PEOPLE WILL GET MATCHING PAINT AND TOUCH UP RIVOTS IN LETTERS BUT FROM 20FT AWAY YOU CANT TELL

d. steel frame vs aluma frame?
ONES STRONGER AND ONES LIGHTER

e. I want a ramp door on back but what about side door. Some I like then the next one I see looks beat up due to wind or forgot to latch good, etc.
NOT SURE REALLY WHERE YOU ARE GOING W/ THIS ONE. QUALITY TRAILERS HAVE QUALITY DOORS. BUT QUALITY DOESNT MATTER IF OWNER DOESNT TAKE CARE OF IT...PERSONALLY RULE IS IF THE DOOR IS OPEN IT IS HOOKED AND IF ITS SHUT ITS LATCHED. THAT WAY WHEN THE MAGICAL GUST OF WIND OR CAR COMES BY THERE ARE NO SUPRISES

f. Lighting - some have them built inside other not?? MOST COME W/ AT LEAST ONE 12V LIGHT ON WALL NEXT TO SIDE DOOR. I LIKE THE ONES THAT HAVE A SWITCH NEXT TO DOOR THAT RUNS LIGHTS ON ROOF. EVEN IF YOUR TRAILER DOES NOT COME W/ INTERIOR LIGHTS ADDING THEM IS NOT HARD.
g. Vents - some have them other don't
LOOK FOR ATLEAST SIDE VENTS TO HELP MOVE FUMES OUT OF TRAILER. CEILING VENTS ARE NICE. JUST DONT FORGET TO PUT IT DOWN WHEN BACKING INTO DRIVE W/ LOW LIMBS HANGING OVER IT.

h. Color - load quesions yes but is one better than the other for being kept clean, graphic, etc.
EVERYONE I KNOW RUNS BLACK. THEY SEEM TO HIDE DIRT WELL. WHITE ALWAYS LOOKS DIRTY RED IMO IS TACKY AND THEN THERE IS BRICKMAN. ITS WHATEVER YOU LIKE. PAINT IT PINK AND PUT YOUR NAME ON IT. MIGHT NOT BE YOUR FAVORITE COLOR BUT YOU WILL GET NOTICED MORE THEN MY BLACK

i. Brand?? Your oponion of best brand. What do you guys have and why? I CANT SAY BEST BRAND DUE TO IGNORANCE OF OTHERS BUT I RUN CARMATE MY BUDDY DOES ALSO. LOCAL DEALER. GOOD PRICE AND QUALITY.

OTHER THINGS TO LOOK FOR THICKNESS OF INTERIOR PANELING. THINK COMPANIES ARE RUNNING EITHER 3/8 OR 1/2 GO WITH THE THICKER IF YOU PLAN ON HANGING ANYTHING.

DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR COMFORTABLE PULLING. GO W/ WIDER TRAILER.BOX FOR WHEEL WELL TAKES UP A COUPLE INCHES ON THE INSIDE BUT GIVES YOU MUCH MORE ROOM TO WALK AROUND.. PEOPLE SEEM TO SMASH EXTERIOR FENDERS ANYWAY.

SOME COME W/ REAR STABILIZERS WHICH ARE CONVIENENT IF YOU LOAD/UNLOAD WHEN NOT HOOKED UP. IT CAN BE DONE W/O SLOWLY BUT ITS NICE WHEN THER ARE NO WORRIES.

GOOD LUCK

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Pretty much what he said. I just saw my new Titan 7x14 enclosed with screwless exterior today, it really looks sharp without all those rivets. Plus I put a 48" side ramp on the unit (moving the rv door to the drivers side) so I can unload a 36" WB and my PG without having to back out my Z out the back end.

My biggest suggestion - get what you want on it so it lasts you years not ONE year.

johnyredd99
03-06-2012, 10:09 PM
also depending on what side your truck fuel fill is on. it would be nice to have a door on that side of trailer also to make fueling less of a hassle

meets1
03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Brands. Is there a good, better, best brand out there or they all about the same.

johnyredd99
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
would have to say about the same as long as your talking dealers. go check a couple diff dealers. see which diff options you like. jump up and down in them. slam the door. start closing rear ramp let it go halfway up let go and let it slam. does it sound like its going to fall apart? were the springs strong enough to actually pull the door up and slam it or were they so weak the door didnt shut? tell them you want to hook up to it and take it around the block. how does it tow? are you comfortable w/ it? is it to much for your truck?

test drive them like you would a car. or a mower.

scotts lawn care
03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Make sure whatever brand you buy - that it has tubular frame including the side walls and roof.

Better not go with the cheap w shape frame, that can and will twist with movement and turning.

Stealth and Haulmax i know have the tube style frame.