PDA

View Full Version : MPG Question

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
When I pull my trailer with my 1500 sierra, I get about 8 miles to the gallon. I would really like to get better MPG than that am I am considering getting a diesel. The diesel that I am looking at is a 2006 f350 dully. what kinda MPG do you get with that truck. I am thinking 12-13. Im also considering doing the E3 spark plugs and then doing the K&N airfilter for my current truck. Do you think that will give me what a diesel will or do I just need to see what kind of deal I can get on the 350. And then on the other hand, if I do the k&n and e3 spark plugs with the diesel, I will proab end up getting better MPG either way.

Patriot Services
03-05-2012, 10:39 PM
While those are good plugs and filters they will not get you an extra 4~5 mpg. Do you really need a 1 ton dually? Your best bet is an F250 deisel.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I also really like the look of a dully lol. Do you get better MPG with a truck thats not a dully cause its less weight and less resistance

luis@NJ
03-05-2012, 11:05 PM
A diesel will almost always get way better mpg's. You can do various things to a gas engine to increase mpg's like a tune-up, intake, chips. Etc. But nothing beats the sound of a diesel truck. I am looking to up-grade my truck to a diesel. Im part of the 8-10 miles per gallon club as well haha. :cry:

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
yeah i love the diesel sound and smell. esp the 6.0L. I wish they still made em loud. I think cummins still has the best sounding. im thinking im goin to look at the 350 and see what they can work out

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
i just hate to get rid of it because i have tow mirrors on the way, just put a navigation in it got my windows tinted, exhaust, and hids

FYS777
03-05-2012, 11:27 PM
ha ha, the diesel dosen't use spark plugs . and the cummins is a 6.7.... ha ha spark plugs for a diesel,, :):)

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
yeah i no diesel dosent use spark plugs. i no i said that in my original post haha. o well, correction change the air filter to a k&n lol

FullMoonLandscaping
03-06-2012, 12:14 AM
i just hate to get rid of it because i have tow mirrors on the way, just put a navigation in it got my windows tinted, exhaust, and hids

should be easy to sell that truck

KrayzKajun
03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
you dont need a dually Matt! sometimes i wish i didnt have one, but it pulls my goose neck trailers alot better than my f250 did. look a for an F250 or dodge 2500. no reason to have a dually to pull a 16' enclosed trailer. plus parking sux with a dually.

JDGlandscape
03-06-2012, 01:39 AM
i have an f350 single rear wheel 7.3 diesel and i love it. I will never get another gas engine, although i still have one as of right now.
Pulling my 7k trailer i get about 8 with the gas engine and around 13-14 with the diesel and that is not being easy on it at all with the diesel. Once you start plowing the difference gets even bigger. I love my diesel. I would try and get a 7.3 if i were you, id say f350, not much price difference than the f250 and has more capabilities.

Patriot Services
03-06-2012, 07:59 AM
ha ha, the diesel dosen't use spark plugs . and the cummins is a 6.7.... ha ha spark plugs for a diesel,, :):)

He was upgrading his current truck, a sierra 1500 which unless is a very old 80's model with a 6.2 then it is a gas engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
03-06-2012, 10:35 AM
When I pull my trailer with my 1500 sierra, I get about 8 miles to the gallon. I would really like to get better MPG than that am I am considering getting a diesel. The diesel that I am looking at is a 2006 f350 dully. what kinda MPG do you get with that truck. I am thinking 12-13. Im also considering doing the E3 spark plugs and then doing the K&N airfilter for my current truck. Do you think that will give me what a diesel will or do I just need to see what kind of deal I can get on the 350. And then on the other hand, if I do the k&n and e3 spark plugs with the diesel, I will proab end up getting better MPG either way.

please read the last sentence of this patriot .

Patriot Services
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
please read the last sentence of this patriot .

Doh! No more posting before coffee.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I got 15 pulling my small 6x12 rig. The truck is in the picture next to my name. 06 6.0 fx4. I currently have a 2010 f150 4.6 3v that gets around 10 pulling the same kind of trailer. I had a 4.3 silverado that got around 9. I rather pay the higher gas bill then deal with a newer diesel. I would go to a 6.9/7.3idi in a heart beat if I could get the a/c to blow like my 2010.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a 2011 ram 4500 they only come diesel and that gets 9-11 mpg towing my trailer. But the trailer is a 20fter and of course the dump ends up with 3-5 yards of grass too. So its a very heavy load now when I'm free of that I get 14-17 mpg which for a truck that's like 9200 pounds empty isn't that bad. But there are also the gears I tend to get them with the middle choice so it I went for the for the better towing my mileage would be worse and if i went the other way my mileage would be better.

Now long ago I drove a 1996 f350 with a 460 gas motor in it. And despite having 2 tanks which held like 40 gallons between them you would end up refueling every 1.5 days. That pig got 4 mpg and turned me off too gas trucks for good. My ram goes 600-900 miles on a single tank now so I can work 3 weeks before needing to fill her.

KrayzKajun
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I have a 2011 ram 4500 they only come diesel and that gets 9-11 mpg towing my trailer. But the trailer is a 20fter and of course the dump ends up with 3-5 yards of grass too. So its a very heavy load now when I'm free of that I get 14-17 mpg which for a truck that's like 9200 pounds empty isn't that bad. But there are also the gears I tend to get them with the middle choice so it I went for the for the better towing my mileage would be worse and if i went the other way my mileage would be better.

Now long ago I drove a 1996 f350 with a 460 gas motor in it. And despite having 2 tanks which held like 40 gallons between them you would end up refueling every 1.5 days. That pig got 4 mpg and turned me off too gas trucks for good. My ram goes 600-900 miles on a single tank now so I can work 3 weeks before needing to fill her.

I love yur 4500 dump. Do yall run walkers for bagging?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
03-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Nay exmark lazers with trac vac systems makes getting the grass up there a little easier.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
geez people, its was a freaking mistake. i no diesels dont have spark plugs lol. yeah well i can get the f350 king ranch cheaper and with less miles then any of the f250s.

GravelyNut
03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
geez people, its was a freaking mistake. i no diesels dont have spark plugs lol. yeah well i can get the f350 king ranch cheaper and with less miles then any of the f250s.

Actually, people who say that no Diesels have sparkplugs, don't know Diesels very well. International UD series engines were gasoline start/warmup and Diesel run. They used a changeover valve to change the compression ratio so that they would run on either. Many Cleveland trenchers, TD series dozers, and road graders used them. They were even used by the Army in the railroad Communications Car for the President from 1952 to into the 1960s.

Patriot Services
03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Actually, people who say that no Diesels have sparkplugs, don't know Diesels very well. International UD series engines were gasoline start/warmup and Diesel run. They used a changeover valve to change the compression ratio so that they would run on either. Many Cleveland trenchers, TD series dozers, and road graders used them. They were even used by the Army in the railroad Communications Car for the President from 1952 to into the 1960s.

Your arguing semantics here. Those are ancient start assist device before glowplugs and ether injectors. They were never used in road vehicles. Unless you plan on towing with a road grader from the 50's you found at an Alaskan auction.
Posted via Mobile Device

J&R Landscaping
03-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Unless your pulling heavy loads constantly, I would look for a 3/4 ton truck. Perhaps even a gas truck. If you put an intake on the truck, and open the exhaust with high flow cats and a good flowmaster or gibson muffler, you should be decent on mileage. Going from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton dually is a huge step.
The maintenance on the diesels is also a pitfall. 15 quarts of oil for the oil changes and fuel filters every other change gets costly, especially if your not using the truck to full bore everyday.
Personally, I wouldn't get a king ranch truck to work out of, they are way to nice for this line of work. I was in where you are sitting, had a gasser and wanted a diesel. No I have a 2 diesels. Yes, I like them and the power is great but side by side compared to a gasser; I would prolly choose the gas truck. JMO

jonnywong
03-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Unless your pulling heavy loads constantly, I would look for a 3/4 ton truck. Perhaps even a gas truck. If you put an intake on the truck, and open the exhaust with high flow cats and a good flowmaster or gibson muffler, you should be decent on mileage. Going from a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton dually is a huge step.
The maintenance on the diesels is also a pitfall. 15 quarts of oil for the oil changes and fuel filters every other change gets costly, especially if your not using the truck to full bore everyday.
Personally, I wouldn't get a king ranch truck to work out of, they are way to nice for this line of work. I was in where you are sitting, had a gasser and wanted a diesel. No I have a 2 diesels. Yes, I like them and the power is great but side by side compared to a gasser; I would prolly choose the gas truck. JMO
Best advice so far. Don't get a diesel unless you really need it. Maintenance and repairs on a diesel are substantial and usually cost just as much or more than owning a gasser in the long run.
Posted via Mobile Device

JABBERS
03-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Every truck has its good points and bad but I would not get the 6.0 L or maybe not the 6.4 L. I have a 2000 7.3 L and luv it with around 14 mpg pulling a 20 foot enclosed trailer. I would check out the website dieselstop.com for fords. I'm looking into the Chevy duramax and go to the dieselplace.com to research that one.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Before I bought my 7x14 enclosed I got 15-17 MPG or so with my Dakota pulling a small open utility. Now, yes, I too am part of the 8-10 MPG club. Ouch