PDA

View Full Version : Gravely Mowers

mmoloch
03-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I need advice on Gravely mowers. Can anyone tell me if they would or would not recommend a Gravely? :confused: I'm in the market for a ztr mower and cannot decide between Gravely and Hustler. Gravely just seems like more bang for the buck. Ill just be mowing 2 acres for now. Any help is appreciated. :usflag:

RTR Landscaping
03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
If you're cutting 2 acres and not using it commercially, the Gravely should be fine. Also look at the dealers and see who will give you the best service after the sale. I'm a Scag guy but both Gravely and Hustler make good lawnmowers.

johnnyusa
03-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Gravely cuts better than scag or hustler in my opinion. ive owned scags and ive used hustler . I currently use walker,gravely 260, exmark and toro. Good luck

FullMoonLandscaping
03-06-2012, 12:19 AM
i owned a pro master 200 xdz 60" and i hated it. always went into limp mode, heavy, jerky pumps, weak deck, bad discharge patterns, the list goes own. i know longer have it

but it cuts good

mmoloch
03-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Ok good deal. I'm leaning toward the Gravely I think. :hammerhead: Kind of on a budget but I really do like the Scag and Hustler as well. Good point about the service. I guess this whole mower brand dilemma compares to the Chevy VS Dodge VS Ford deal. As long as I can buy American made products for the most part, everyone wins. Thanks again. :usflag:

corey4671
03-06-2012, 12:25 AM
The ProRide 260 is a red Everride Warrior. I'm on my second Warrior and love it.

gebby
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
You did not say what model of Gravely you were looking at. Gravely like most other brands also, offer home owner models. Please be sure that you are comparing apples to apples. I have all commercial mowers and like them. My brother on the other hand bought a home owner model. He tried to do too much with it and had a lot of problems. As mentioned before a good dealer no matter what brand can and will make all the difference in the world. Do your home work. Not much fun I know but well worth your time. Better to have too much mower than not enough.

lifetree
03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
The ProRide 260 is a red Everride Warrior. I'm on my second Warrior and love it.

This is correct !!

... Please be sure that you are comparing apples to apples. ...

Yes, be sure you're looking at comparable machines !!

mmoloch
03-06-2012, 09:42 PM
I have about $4k.. possibly $5k MAX to work with here. That's all I can afford right now and I definitely need.one by spring. Ive researched quite a bit but there aren't too many extravagant choices for a poor guy like myself. I looked at Hustler, Grasshopper, Scag, Dixie Chopper, etc, etc.. but they seemed as if you didn't get much for $4-5k as compared to Gravely. Any advice would be great for a budget like mine. Thanks for all the input too fellas. Much appreciated. :usflag:

mtmower
03-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Gravely cuts better than scag or hustler in my opinion. ive owned scags and ive used hustler . I currently use walker,gravely 260, exmark and toro. Good luck

John, was wondering when you were making your statement on QOC if you were comparing it to the VX4 deck? Shopping myself. Thanks.

tyler_mott85
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
I've used Hustler ZTRs for companies I've worked for. I currently own a Gravely walk-behind. When I think about my experiences with both mowers I favor the Gravely...

I do not like Gravely push mowers but I think that is more to do with the local dealer being silly.

hammmerhead
03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Just two mowers out there I would consider. Gravely and Scag. My dealer, which is a long time buddy carries both, but sells more of the Gravely line due to their affordable pricing. Having said that, the Scag is a little more industrial in a few areas, but it is really overkill in most cases. Most people take care of their equipment and could get by with less mower than they realize. On the other hand, common sense "ain't" so common anymore which brings in stories of "stuff" happening and just ignorant user error. I dont think you can really go wrong with any of the new mowers these days, just compare them all and choose which one is right for YOU.

johnnyusa
03-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Mtmower I haven't demoed the newer hustler deck but I have used the newer scag turf tiger and hated the cut. The hustler I used was just B4 the vx4 came out but I heard the vx4 clumps all up under the deck here in the northeast and the gravely 260 doesnt
Posted via Mobile Device

sprinter
04-28-2012, 10:47 PM
To the OP, I don't know if you've bought yet, but I've been going through the same process with about the same budget. Looked at 'em all. I've done a ton of research, demo'd 4 models, looked at 3 others, all in the same bracket, and it's down to Badboy ZT, and Gravely ZT HD. I'm pretty sure now that it will be Gravely for two reasons: dealer support and warranty. The HD has a 1 year commercial/3 year residential and the badboy is only 2 year residential. Besides, I think I just plain like the Gravely better. It tracks the best of 'em all. It's about $5200. FWIW...

chuacro
04-29-2012, 02:31 AM
I am a solo company. I own a 2006 walker and 2006 hustler mini z 36. I bought a Gravely 34 compact pro this year. I bought it new with the mulch kit. This mower saves me so much time I am going to buy a 44 and sell my other mowers.

sprinter
04-29-2012, 02:58 AM
It seems from all this research I've been doing that Gravely is really after the pro business lately by product improvement and promotion and still be price competitive. Sounds like it's working by the more recent comments I've been seeing. I've seen some guys who have been die-hard for other makes going to them, although I've long since lost my biases for stuff like this. The warranties are better than most for many of the lines like the HD, too.

(I said I have no biases, but I will admit that my wife likes the green and yellow ones most because they are so pretty... Thankfully, she likes red, too:))

mtmower
05-05-2012, 11:57 PM
I've recently demoed the Walker Super B, Husqvarna PZ, Bad Boy Outlaw, and Gravely 460. I was planning on demoing a new Hustler Super Z but haven't been able to make it happen. Check my posts and you can read my reviews. So far the Gravely has been the most impressive in every way. I've been running Hustler Super Zs for the last 12 years, along with Exmark, Ferris, and Encore walk behinds as a reference. Looks like next week I'll be ordering something in red.

GMLC
05-06-2012, 08:36 AM
After extensive research and testing I bought the new Gravely 400 series. I have been more than happy with my decision. The fit and finish is amazing and the design is well thought out. I would suggest anyone looking to buy a new machine demo a Gravely. I switched from Scag after 15 years I was so impressed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Look's Great
05-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Go Gravely, I us Mine 8 to 10 hours a day 4 to 6 days aweek, on my 6th year with the mower. On a budget check in to 0% fin. for 4 years. good luck:usflag: