PDA

View Full Version : What is typical for a new mower deal?

scc6c6
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Decided to purchase the new Bad Boy XP model from our local dealer here, and had a few questions before I seal the deal on it since I've never bought new before:

1. What, if any, is typical amount the dealer would/ought to come down off retail price? Retail price on this is $8500 and he said he'd come down to $8350 for me...or take off $150 on any model I decided to go with...
2. Should a "new" mower have ANY hours on it?? Obviously don't want a demo, so what hours are o.k. and what is too many?

He already assured me if I bought a new commercial grade mower from him, anytime it needed service it goes to the very top of the list in service....and if it takes any longer than a day, he loads a demo up for me until mine is ready. This definitely made me feel better about buying anything from him....

RTR Landscaping
03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
The hour meter on a new mower should have less than one hour on it. If you're concerned about it being a demo, look underneath the deck, it should be as clean as the rest of the mower.
As far as pricing, there is no set deal on any mower. Some dealers offer more off than others but if you're happy with the price then get it.
The demo loaner program he is offering is nice but I'd need to see that in writing.

Mike Blevins
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
First off I'm not going to try to turn this into a mine is better than yours thread. Lets just talk economics in todays economy. Say you bought this mower for $8350. The question you need to ask yourself is this. What do I plan on doing with this mower? Do I plan on keeping it and running it for many years? Does my warranty last that long? Is my dealer really going to live up to his promises? To be honest at that price your not going to get half of that back within two years of buying that mower. They just don't hold any value! Look at past threads on here where people have tried to give these mowers away at less than 50% of what they paid just a year or two later with hardly any hours. Its about economics people you save a thousand or so up front to buy a new mower only to loose $4000 or so a few years down the rode when you go to sell or trade it in. :usflag:

pugs
03-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I dont know pricing on Badboys so I cant comment on that. List price is pretty much useless when talking about equipment. I dont know why manufacturers bother making up MSRPs since nobody uses them for much of anything.

As for hours it depends on the machine. Some of the machines I have will get up around 3 hours before I sell them just from driving them in/out of our building. We park some outside on nice days. Those same machines(mostly Wright) have had as many as 3-4 tenths on them before taking them out of the crate. Now other brands(I believe Ferris is one) only run the hour meter when the blades are running. Since the blades never get engaged they will have 0 hours from driving in/out. I wouldnt worry about hours on the machine. Main thing is look under the deck.

scc6c6
03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
First off I'm not going to try to turn this into a mine is better than yours thread. Lets just talk economics in todays economy. Say you bought this mower for $8350. The question you need to ask yourself is this. What do I plan on doing with this mower? Do I plan on keeping it and running it for many years? Does my warranty last that long? Is my dealer really going to live up to his promises? To be honest at that price your not going to get half of that back within two years of buying that mower. They just don't hold any value! Look at past threads on here where people have tried to give these mowers away at less than 50% of what they paid just a year or two later with hardly any hours. Its about economics people you save a thousand or so up front to buy a new mower only to loose $4000 or so a few years down the rode when you go to sell or trade it in. :usflag:

So what brands are you saying will see more than half of their original purchase price, after 2 years with 1600+ hours on it? Just curious and looking for info

zak406
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
As for list price, remember this and this goes for mowers, blowers, saws, cars, trucks, boats, motor homes, trailers, and even houses Cash Talks. If you have the money in cash you can get a better deal tahn if you finance.

If he lives up to his promises, he sounds like a good dealer.

If it has more than a 2 hours on it I would tell him you want mroe money off, so I dont nessacerily think its a bad thing if its got a few hours on it...

Mike Blevins
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
So what brands are you saying will see more than half of their original purchase price, after 2 years with 1600+ hours on it? Just curious and looking for info

Its going to be your most popular brands. Exmark-Scag is going to be your best resale value. Friend of mine just bought a new left over 2011 Scag Wildcat 26 liquid cooled for 7300.00 plus va tax. That is an awsome deal. Its ok to want to save money on a machine but you don't want to save on the purchase only to get killed in the end on resale or trade in. He can mow with that mower for a few years and depending on how well he maintains it he can still get 5500 for it in excellent shape. There are deals out there to be had. I talked to local dealer a few weeks back and he said there are many trying to buy but they don't have the credit. And he told me he was ready to deal. Just like the 2011 7300.00 Wildcat.

bohiaa
03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I too, would stay a way from the bad boy.....