PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailer interior lighting

johnyredd99
03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I am looking for some info on how to go about lighting the interior of enclosed trailer while not hooked to truck. and/or being able to run 110 lights and fan while hooked up. I have done a search and older post that I found was not much help.... i understand that watts/amps+lumens-volts=the lights come on.
I know others w/ enclosed have to have problems w/ lack of lighting. so this is what i need help w/...

i have wired trailer so i can plug in like a camper to household current. running an extension cord is not always practical nor is trailer always hooked to truck for the 12v lighting.
my thoughts are to install car battery in trailer, hook inverter to battery, inverter plugs into main line for lights..(2 2ft flouresants, ten inch fan, phone charger)
now to charge car battery in trailer....can i hook into break-away battery? or do i have to charge at home?
would I be better to put inverter under hood of truck and run a cord?
do i not get inverter at all...just install battery and splice into 12volt lights? again how to charge battery?

does anyone else run into the same problem of not being able to see inside when not hooked up to truck? what have you done to fix it?

thanks

knox gsl
03-06-2012, 12:42 AM
You can get 12 volt flouresant lights or can use 12 volt 4" LED round lights. I used to run a foodservice route and thats what we had inside of our trailers.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
03-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I would run just 12 volt lights with a battery ,and a rooftop solar panel ,as well as a wire from your marker lights to charge the battery .I would run a deep cycle battery .Running an inverter is not efficient as you end up losing power just to run the inverter .

johnyredd99
03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
I never thought of solar panel idea. Im going to look into that. thank you.
I am wondering how running a wire from my marker lights will charge battery?

ecurbthims
03-07-2012, 12:56 AM
when you run down the road ,turn on your marker lights ,and the battery will charge while you drive .

ParkWelding
03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Why wouldn't you just use the +12V wire in your 7 blade trailer plug to charge your battery?

Trailer Parts Superstore
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
We have a pretty good selection of interior lighting, click on the link below to view.

http://www.easternmarine.com/Interior-Lighting-RVs-Trailers/

johnyredd99
03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
i have the interior lighting installed. I have 4 12v running along ceiling and 1 in cabinet. I also have 2 18inch flouresent lights and 4 outlets run together to exterior socket. kind of the same idea as 'shore power' for rv's boats.

from what i am gathering so far is, and please correct me if im wrong.....

12volt wires from truck side to trailer side

run to positive side deep cycle battery? battery ground to frame.
---by running wire to battery like this will charge battery w/o stand alone batt charger?

now run from positive side batt. to 12v interior lights.
---by do it this way i will be able to run my 12v lights both while connected and disconnected from tow vehicle?

thank you for help

johnyredd99
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
like this. I would think there would need to be a batt charger along the way

Ray&Christine
03-07-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure how much light you need but I have 2 recharable LED work/trouble lights. They are are not bright enough to read a book in the trailer but bright enough to find someting on a shelf or so you don't trip over your mowers.