PDA

View Full Version : Mid-size John Deere Diesel

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
How many of you guys would be interested in a mid-size John Deere diesel in a 25 or 26 horsepower engine, built on the same frame as the 930 or 950 chassis? I would!!!!!!!! I have been trying to get the engineers at Deere to do this but of course they haven't yet. Maybe if enough folks would annoy them about it maybe they would develop it. I have a 997 but its too big to use on alot of properties not mentioning the weight. It would be great to have a mid-size option in JD with th 54" or 60" MOD deck. What do you think?

Ridin' Green
03-06-2012, 04:17 AM
How many of you guys would be interested in a mid-size John Deere diesel in a 25 or 26 horsepower engine, built on the same frame as the 930 or 950 chassis? I would!!!!!!!! I have been trying to get the engineers at Deere to do this but of course they haven't yet. Maybe if enough folks would annoy them about it maybe they would develop it. I have a 997 but its too big to use on alot of properties not mentioning the weight. It would be great to have a mid-size option in JD with th 54" or 60" MOD deck. What do you think?

There are a lot of us on here who would be all over that. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

heather lawn sp
03-06-2012, 08:08 AM
We have 2 997's and bought a ZD221. I am too old to wait that long:)

Jimslawncareservice
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Only thing is a z950 gas is heavy enough. I couldn't imagine the weight with a diesel in it
Posted via Mobile Device

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I just wonder why they JD wont produce one. I know my local dealer has asked and asked and asked and all they get is that it's in the works. I have a Grasshopper 325D that I have had there a few times for service or repair. Everyime it's there they have an engineer from JD that lives close by to come and look at it. They explain to him that JD needs to build a mid-sized diesel model to compete in that category. All they ever get is that it is in the works!!! How much longer is it gonna take?!!! If there is anyone on here associated with JD, please let us know.

RollingsFarms
07-12-2012, 12:06 AM
offer them in 48", 54" and 60" decks with MOD and I'll be at my dealer tomorrow to pick one up!:cool2:

Fastshivy
07-12-2012, 11:33 PM
I just bought a JD 1023 with a bush hog and 60" 7 iron deck. I have a few yards in the 3-5 acre range plus 4 acres of my own. Looked hard at the zero turns, but everything i have is somewhat steep. Experienced guys roll the ztrs on occassion and get hurt pretty bad. I can put it in 4wd and it is very stable mowing straigh up and down. I am only doing 10 yards right now, but it is working out way better than expected. I am in the mountains and it offers me a lot of flexability with loader options etc. Guys just mowing flat city lots would be better off with a faster machine. I use an exmark 36" walk behind for the small stuff. The cut on the deck is very good and almost golf course quality if you mow it carefully. This is a 23hp diesel and the wide tires don't slip and imprint anywhere near the exmark. This was a good choice for me where work is hard to get and we have a lot of 1 acre lots for sale that are mowed once or twice a year (bush hog) Tractor rides a little rough but is very easy to use.. has hydrostatic transmission and power steering also 550rpm pto. They make a 26hp model for about 2,000 more dollars, but has cruise control and draft sensing. It takes about 45min to switch to the bush hog so i do that on days when i don't have much going on. Overall i am very pleased :)

scotts lawn care
07-12-2012, 11:59 PM
A few years ago at a dealer they said deere was in the process of offering a z-diesel.......still waiting. :confused:

jrs.landscaping
07-13-2012, 06:46 AM
We keep hounding our Deere salesman about this. It would be nice to have a smaller Deere diesel with a 54" cut. I talked with a regional manager a few years ago and he said it was still in the R&D stage. We have 2 997's and they're great but for some properties we would like a smaller machine with a diesel. Hopefully they come out with one soon, because we've been looking at the Kubota ZD series for our next Z.

Jimslawncareservice
07-13-2012, 06:59 AM
They always say that its in the r&d stage. It makes you be quiet for a while thinking they are working on something you want. I was told a couple years back that the mod deck on the stander was coming soon, and a 54" and 72" deck would be availabe for the x series. Well that was in 08. Don't know why a 72 on that model, but that's what was said.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
They always say that its in the r&d stage. It makes you be quiet for a while thinking they are working on something you want. I was told a couple years back that the mod deck on the stander was coming soon, and a 54" and 72" deck would be availabe for the x series. Well that was in 08. Don't know why a 72 on that model, but that's what was said.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sometimes I think the guys you get to talk to from Deere just plain lie, and other times I think they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

A 72" on an X?!? They'd have to either really stretch the frame, or the deck would have zero overlap on the blades, and even designed with no overlap I don't think that it would fit under the machine between the front and rear wheels. I know how large the 72" is for my 4115 CUT, and no way that'd fit under the X frame/wheel base as currently designed.

Years ago, many of the smaller Deere CUTs used a 2 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine. I don't see why they couldn't use a modernized version of one of them in the 900 series frame and make it all work.

Jimslawncareservice
07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Who knows with some of them. It drives me nuts when they say one thing and it never turns out. A 72 would never work. There's barely room for the 60 7 iron on an x series. I know it won't work on 07 or is it 06 models and older.

No reason why diesel wouldn't work? Where are the zs made? Is it in waterloo area? If it is I should stop in and give a piece of my mind today.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Who knows with some of them. It drives me nuts when they say one thing and it never turns out. A 72 would never work. There's barely room for the 60 7 iron on an x series. I know it won't work on 07 or is it 06 models and older.

No reason why diesel wouldn't work? Where are the zs made? Is it in waterloo area? If it is I should stop in and give a piece of my mind today.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's a member here (I can't recall his forum name, and I haven't seen him post for a while) that works(ed?) at the plant where they make them. He's down in either NC or SC, can't recall that either.

Wow! I really have CRS today.:hammerhead:

Jimslawncareservice
07-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Ok. I'm going through the tractor and engine plant today via my dealer
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
We are almost to waterloo and its raining!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Man, I hope that's heading my way!

I hope you take some pics while you're there and post 'em here on LS.

Jimslawncareservice
07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
The tractor plant the last time I was there you couldn't bring cell phones in. I'll see what I can do
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
07-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Yea, I guess that's understandable. Maybe they'll let you at least get a few of things that aren't a secret anymore. It'd be interesting to see if you can. Have fun while you're there.:)

Jimslawncareservice
07-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Will do. Atleast I get to see and smell the rain again. I'm suppose to get some today.
Posted via Mobile Device