PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Br 200 backpack blower

michaelee2
03-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Would this be a good around home blower. Would like a good bp but not ready to shell out $500 on a 600 when it would probably be way more than I need. Just need it to blow grass off the driveway mainly. Will not be moving leaves with it

Ridin' Green
03-06-2012, 04:22 AM
It has the same engine as the BG86, so why not save some bucks and just buy that one? They have about the same blowing specs (154 MPH/ 459 CFM for the BG86 vs 132 MPH/ 471 CFM for the 200). I have a 10 year old SH85 Stihl handheld, and I have never had to do anything to it. It still has the same air filter, plug and fuel filter that came in it new, and it still runs great. I have used it for years for both leaves and grass, and I have a gutter kit for it, which you can't get for a Stihl BP blower.

If you just have to have a BP blower, I'd bypass the 200 and go to the much more useful BR350.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I bought one last year so my 66 year old mother could use a back pack as well around the house. It's like half the weight of a br600 and the br600 is really light compared to the other top models out there.

Sadly her quality control needs work as does her pattern it seems starting on the edge and working the lawn is alien to her. We have a ton of tulip trees and with that comes cubic yards of those dam barbed seeds and they are obnoxious to remove. She pretends not to see them still the blower is cute for a home owner.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
I bought one last year, it blows pretty nice.
I just got it as a back up blower to my stihl BR 600 magnum.
I have not used to blow too many leaves but it has the power to blow a blue recycling box about 6 feet away.

scotts lawn care
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good home blower - as long as you wont need it for leaf cleanup.

rlitman
03-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Yeah that sounds like a good home blower - as long as you wont need it for leaf cleanup.

LOL. I guess I forget sometimes that not everyone uses a blower for leaves.

Anyway, I used to have an SH 85, which was a handheld with the same power as the BR 200 (and looking closer at a BR 200, it really does look like just a handheld, with a backpack frame, and a bigger gas tank).
That handheld blew the pants off any electric blower I've seen, so it may suit your needs. Still, is there any reason you don't want to own a handheld?
The BR 200 costs about $40 more than an BR 86, and has no more power, and no way to add a gutter cleaning attachment (should you ever want one). Or, for about $10 more than the BR 200, you could get an SH 86 C-E with vacuum/shredder attachment, and ez-2-start option.

If you only need the power of a handheld, but really don't want to carry the weight of one, then maybe that's all you need.

Otherwise, you might want to consider the BR 350. It's still an "entry" level backpack, and even my slow turning BR 500 blows harder, but when I think backpack blower, I think of something that's got a whole lot more power than a handheld.