PDA

View Full Version : Aeration

nick2765
03-06-2012, 01:53 AM
When you guys aerate, do you leave the plugs on the ground and let the rain wash them away or do you clean them up on the spot, or go back and clean them up. Whats the proper method? Thanks in advance!

jaybow
03-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Leave them, the plugs contain enzymes from in the ground that help to break down thatch also. They desenigrate within a couple weeks
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Nick the only places that pick up plugs are golf courses. Its hard to putt over them. They will break down as stated above and there is benefit to the lawn. If the customer wants them removed I would educate them. Its not worth the effort and time to rake them up and get rid of them.

nick2765
03-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, what is the proper order, is it thatch, aerate, overseed?

jaybow
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I would say that's correct
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
aerate, dethatch, overseed.

f50lvr2
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
aerate, dethatch, overseed.

I prefer dethatch, aerate, overseed.

It's easier to clean up the thatch material without all the plugs on the ground.

Kiril
03-06-2012, 03:02 PM
I prefer dethatch, aerate, overseed.

It's easier to clean up the thatch material without all the plugs on the ground.

I find dethatching/power raking an effective method to break up the majority of the cores.

turfcobob
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, what is the proper order, is it thatch, aerate, overseed?

You left out check for thatch layer to be removed. Over a half inch take it out under it is a judgement call, the closer to half the worse. I have always spread the seed, Aerated then removed the thatch. Doing the ripping action last moves the seed to the low spots and breaks up the cores on top of them. Also raking up the thatch tends to spread the seed and dirt around.

Smallaxe
03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
I only aerate in the fall and do the major renovations in the fall... All of my clients have seen the folly of 'dethatching' in the Spring and that practice is dying everywhere in our area... It's not just me... :)

RigglePLC
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I suggest sow seed first. Most of the soil ends up on top of the seed. Ideal. Seemed to work a bit better during last year's experiments.

Exact Rototilling
03-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Mulch mow with Oregon G6 or G5 high lift gators does wonders on plug break-up. Other gators typically lack as much lift to do much. These G6 blades really do wonders. I think I’m going to offer this as a add on service if time allows a day or 2 later....payup

If you happen to of aerated the lawn with a Plugr 800 series even just a single pass you will have a revolting amount of plugs to break up and the plugs tend to sit higher up in the lawn due to the pop eject effect. Picture huge pig pen dirt cloud. Might be best to reduce engine rpm on the first pass if dried up. Hope your mower doesn’t have an electric clutch. Wear dust mask. Fire fighter SCBA would be handy. A double pass is even worse. This attracts much attention from neighbors – people looking out windows, walking out front door, scurrying small children inside etc. Regular mower blades not as bad but the plugs linger longer. Oh yeah don’t use sharp blades.

FWIW a double pass with my lawn solutions rolling tine is less dirty and gritty on break up than a single Plugr 800 pass.

If a client tends to gripe about the unsightly high plug count just run a standard rolling tine unit.

Not sure about the mortality rate on grass seed when they get hit with mower blades especially G5/G6 gator. So if your putting down seed you might loose some due to the recycling grinding action. :waving:

teye69
03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I have a Ryan Lawnaire V and is like new bought it used for $1750.00 last fall.
It does not leave plugs. The unit makes nice clean holes about 3 inches deep but no
plugs. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might do to correct this issue? Thanks in advance

jaybow
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Have you had it on different soils, or just one yard. Keep in mind, it early and the ground is wet and nothing will plug properly if its to wet,or really sandy soil, and also if the lawn is mostly weeds there isn't enough root structure to hold the plugs together.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
03-16-2012, 05:47 PM
I only aerate in the fall and do the major renovations in the fall... All of my clients have seen the folly of 'dethatching' in the Spring and that practice is dying everywhere in our area... It's not just me... :)

Not to hijack the thread but can you clarify what you mean by your statement. I still find a steady demand for power raking (technically not dethatching) in the Green Bay area. It accounts for almost a fourth of my yearly intake.
i am genuinely curious as to what you are experiencing in your area. Either let me know here or PM me so we dont steal the thread. Later.

teye69
03-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Have no experience in this matter because the aerator will not leave plugs. It just makes holes. Can not figure out what to do to produce the plugs. Aren't customers going to want the plugs in their yards?
Thanks in advance

Exact Rototilling
03-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Can you take pics of the tines and.post.them? Are they clogged with dirt.or.rocks.
Posted via Mobile Device