PDA

View Full Version : Blisters

Lawnmowingperson
03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Okay I just got a blister on my foot and I'm starting mowing lawns in april. what do you guys do when you get a blister on your foot?

White Gardens
03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Get better shoes.

Lugnut
03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Get better shoes.

Agree 100%

I got blisters once, wearing an older pair of Timberland Boots...Went out and spent the 200 bucks on a pair of better boots and haven't had a problem since.

Richard Martin
03-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Get shoes that fit right. I haven't had a blister on my feet since I was a teenager and that was about 40 years ago. And if your blister doesn't heal up by April then you have bigger problems than just blisters.

Richard Martin
03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
A little Neosporin and a bandaid. It should be gone in a week.

Cummins343
03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
I do nothing. Got blisters all the time in the infantry.

rlitman
03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I wash the skin thoroughly, then I heat a pin in a flame until it's glowing, and use that to pop it (that way it's guaranteed sterile).
A quick rinse in alcohol (the cleaner and dryer the skin is, the better a bandage will stick), and then I cover it with a compeed bandage. Those are meant to stay on for a few days.

Patriot Services
03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Better boots and socks. Is this your first season?
Posted via Mobile Device

rywnygc
03-07-2012, 07:48 AM

Yep, same here. Option #1...If it's real bad, take the boot off, put some 100MPH tape on it and drive on!

Option #2... Get some vagisil cream to rub on it.

Option #3... Stop worrying about blisters and just pick at it in front of the wife like we all do.

Geez....blisters.....wait till you cut a finger off.

Valk
03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Quality boots & socks are your best defense. I personally recommend hikers over workboots due to the tread and enhance lateral stability.

When you get home, get out of your boots and socks so your feet & boots can dry out.

Quality footwear
A) you'll want waterproof for dewy and moist conditions -> midtops or higher protect you in tall(er) grass
B) GoreTex XCR (or similar fabric/treatment/etc) is an enhanced waterproof layer designed for Xtreme Conditions like Summer heat...it breathes
C) no achy feet for me at the end of the day + feet feel good the next morning = PRICELESS!!

Vasque Breeze Mids GTX (~$145) fit my feet well. I hate experimenting on on footwear that's $100+, so I've stuck with what works...even though I only get 3 months out of a pair.

If you're walking all day then your footwear WILL breakdown. I let new pains (foot/ankle/knee/hip/back) let me know when it's time for another pair. Usually it around the 10-12 week's time that I'll sense it's time to reinvest in my feet. TOTALLY worth it. Your feet are your foundation...it's $$$.$$ well spent.

PS Do your research on quality footwear. IE = Some boots are insulated...and you WON'T like them in the Summer.

White Gardens
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Quality boots & socks are your best defense. I personally recommend hikers over workboots due to the tread and enhance lateral stability.

When you get home, get out of your boots and socks so your feet & boots can dry out.

Quality footwear
A) you'll want waterproof for dewy and moist conditions -> midtops or higher protect you in tall(er) grass
B) GoreTex XCR (or similar fabric/treatment/etc) is an enhanced waterproof layer designed for Xtreme Conditions like Summer heat...it breathes
C) no achy feet for me at the end of the day + feet feel good the next morning = PRICELESS!!

Vasque Breeze Mids GTX (~$145) fit my feet well. I hate experimenting on on footwear that's $100+, so I've stuck with what works...even though I only get 3 months out of a pair.

If you're walking all day then your footwear WILL breakdown. I let new pains (foot/ankle/knee/hip/back) let me know when it's time for another pair. Usually it around the 10-12 week's time that I'll sense it's time to reinvest in my feet. TOTALLY worth it. Your feet are your foundation...it's $$$.$$ well spent.

PS Do your research on quality footwear. IE = Some boots are insulated...and you WON'T like them in the Summer.

Need to check out ASOLO's. They are the only shoe I've found that will last an entire season, everything else lasted only three months. I've just used their Light Hiker/Hiker boot and the uppers never have caused me any issues, I just walk off the sole. I usually spend about $200.00 a year on a pair of good hikers.

Personally I can't wear Vasque as it's too wide and awkward on my feet. ASOLO's basically fit my narrow girly feet.

Valk
03-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Need to check out ASOLO's. They are the only shoe I've found that will last an entire season, everything else lasted only three months. I've just used their Light Hiker/Hiker boot and the uppers never have caused me any issues, I just walk off the sole. I usually spend about $200.00 a year on a pair of good hikers.

Personally I can't wear Vasque as it's too wide and awkward on my feet. ASOLO's basically fit my narrow girly feet.

Vasque does make Narrow as well as Wide in many of their footwear offerings.

Daily mowing: Do you ride or walk all day? I'm solo and run a WB doing all the trimming/sweeping. My feet used to ache until I tried Vasque...so I'm dancing with the one that brung me!

Thanks, I'll look into Asolo as an alternative.
I tried a pair of Wolverine's...and they just sit on the shelf in my garage.
I fully expect my footwear to wear out...so replacing them at regular intervals is what must be done.

An observer would NOT think my 3 month old boots are worn out by looking at them......but my body lets me know loud & clear. New boots, and I'm out of pain w/in a day or two.
$0.02

yardguy28
03-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Okay I just got a blister on my foot and I'm starting mowing lawns in april. what do you guys do when you get a blister on your foot?

pop it and move on!!!

tyler_mott85
03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
As everyone else has said you need to prevent blisters first. Properly fitting shoes/boots are the ticket.

If you have new boots the main thing I can tell you is when you first wear then for the first week or two you need to tie them as tight as you can to your foot. This forces them to "break" where your foot/ankle bends naturally instead of where the weak point in the boot is. You mat get a red sore spot until they break in but you will continue to get blisters if your foot is trying to mow inside a boot that wants to move in it's own way.

MTenterprises
03-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't wear cotton socks. Use Newskin to coat your blister (get it at Walgreens). If this doesn't help, order a pair of neoprene booties from EZFit.com. They are awesome! Long time soccer player here and I wear ezfits all the time.

NC Greenscaper
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

I know what you mean. We used to hump (full pack and gear) on Fridays, then get off early. Thanks for the early day, I'm going to spend it taking care of feet covered with blisters. Monday we would be back at it.

What does a blister now have to do with April?

BrunoT
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
You mean all those hours on the Xbox don't result in tough feet? LOL

Showpropserv
03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
probably should change your tampon it works wonders

KrayzKajun
03-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Yep, same here. Option #1...If it's real bad, take the boot off, put some 100MPH tape on it and drive on!

Option #2... Get some vagisil cream to rub on it.

Option #3... Stop worrying about blisters and just pick at it in front of the wife like we all do.

Geez....blisters.....wait till you cut a finger off.

you forgot to wrap the boot in 550 cord!!!!:clapping:

White Gardens
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Vasque does make Narrow as well as Wide in many of their footwear offerings.

Daily mowing: Do you ride or walk all day? I'm solo and run a WB doing all the trimming/sweeping. My feet used to ache until I tried Vasque...so I'm dancing with the one that brung me!

Thanks, I'll look into Asolo as an alternative.

Even the heel box on the Vasque is too wide and my heel would slide around. I have a AA narrow, so finding a boot that fit was golden. Ever since I started wearing them I also have minimal foot/leg fatigue and overall happier feet.

As for use, I got a season out of a pair when still working for a lawn service where all I did was use a string trimmer for 50 hours a week. Mostly I would wear a hole in the sole.

Now, with more landscaping, I still wear the sole but not quit as bad. But what happens now is they eventually start to crack where the toe box bends from squatting, bending over and shovel use.

All in all, if you find a shoe that works, then that's awesome. Each brand has it's own dimensions, so you just need to try out as many as you can till you find a good fit.

93Chevy
03-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Never gotten a blister on my foot...right shoes solve that problem before it even starts.

It's not even a problem.