PDA

View Full Version : Help with lawn

1999frontier
03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
I need help in my backyard. I've got an area beside my building that goes down hill. Not much of a slope but I think its where the rain goes and washes the soil/dirt away. I don't have any grass there because are woods behind my house and the sun comes up and goes the other direction away from this area, so it doesn't see much sunlight. You can see where the area is real jagged since the soil gets washed away before any grass gets started good. What would be my options with helping this area? I know I will need to bring in some topsoil. Do I aerate or break up the existing ground and then add the topsoild and spread seed? Its not a big slope at all just goes down hill to a ditch.

NC Greenscaper
03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
what part of NC are you in. coastal, transitional central, or western?

1999frontier
03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm in between the coastal and piedmont. I've got tttf in my front yard and I really haven't worked on the back since my wife and I bought our house a couple years ago. I was giving the fescue a chance to see how it was going to do here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
If you've got shade, then you'll have to rethink everything you know about grass... If you're using cool season grasses, then you should think about annual rye to get quick summer time establishment, then overseed in your normal NC fall planting time...
I would not tear up a slope that is already washing, but would encourage the existing grass to grow better... Not with more NPK and too much water, but with some compost perhaps to help make sure that water actually soaks in to the soil, rather than just run over the top...
It's going to take thought and attention, to make it work... pix would help...

ron mexico75
03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
How about pictures? That would help us out. Also, Im never one for planting or telling people to plant grass on slopes. Who would want to cut it?

Depending on the pictures you post, I might suggest planting a spreading, shade tolerant ground cover.

Would hold the soil together, be pleasing to the eye and you wouldn't have to worry about cutting or really maintaing that area anymore.

Smallaxe
03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
... I might suggest planting a spreading, shade tolerant ground cover.

Would hold the soil together, be pleasing to the eye and you wouldn't have to worry about cutting or really maintaing that area anymore.

The biggest problem with a "Ground Cover" is weeds and misquitos. Another problem with ground cover is 'useability'...

1999frontier
03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Its really not a slope at all just where my lawn runs down hill and nothing seems to grow. This past fall I planted some annual ryegrass and it came up a little but then soon washed away when we got a heavy rain. I'm guessing some of it has to do with our two dogs when we let them out they like to chase each other around the building. So I guess anything is going to be hard to grow. I didn't know if I just needed to bring in some dirt and fill it in and then possibly try some fescue (yes I know spring is not the proper time to seed) but it would help i would think until fall came around again.

Smallaxe
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
I think we just learned about the 'useability' issue... Go with ground cover... :)

1999frontier
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
On the other side of the building its all grass and no bare ground where dogs run. Its just on the other side.

RigglePLC
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
In shade--on a slope--ground cover is your best option. Something that locally does well. Myrtle, ivy, pachysandra, hosta, ferns, lamium, ajuga, blue rug juniper, ornamental grass...

Be sure you have your evestrophs in place and the water is carried off by downspouts harmlessly--even if you have to channel the water to an underground drainage tube.