PDA

View Full Version : newbie

evencut
03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
After working for someone else for years, I am starting out on my own. Any ideas/suggestions for buying three zturns? I used Scag and like them, but I tested a Toro that seemed to be pretty good. I think I need one 72 and 2 smaller units. Stand -ons may be an option, but have never been on one. Thanks for any input.

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
If you are just starting, the big question is, do I have enough business to substantiate a purchase of 3 zero turn mowers? That sounds like a very large purchase for someone just starting out, especially when you have to factor in a truck, trailer and all the hand helds you will need! It has taken me 9 years to NEED that many units to handle ruffly 55 accounts and I could probably get by with less.

Swampy
03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
I guess its go big or go home. What ever happened to getting the work first then buying the correct equipment to use for said work? You don't need 3 zero turns right off the bat. What I will say is find something that fits your needs with a great dealer support if you are really wanting to go the new route. I have a hard time myself justifying 2 walkbehinds, 2 string trimmers on a 6.5x12ft trailer and the diesel truck. Or the concrete saw that I've used once since I bought it.

If you think that you'll have more than enough work, with such a awesome return on investment, then by all means buy 3 zero turns and let us know how that turns out.

evencut
03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I have many accounts that are switching over to me and I am using this week to get contracts. I have plenty of help, but only one of which is experienced (one of my co-workers). I have a truck and trailor, but will probably fit two z-turns and hopefully a stand-on (that's what the sales guy said). Does anyone make a 72" stand-on?

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
When you say switching, does that mean you acquired several of the accounts from the company that you previously worked for?

cash2406
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

evencut
03-06-2012, 02:46 PM
The guy I worked for has been forced out of business (long story) and he's trying to sell his old equipment and contracts. His contracts aren't worth anything, in my opinion, and neither is his old equipment. I wanted to buy his blower and three trimmers, but he said it's a package deal. Does anyone ever get more than a one year contract? I don't do snow removal. Scag has a great deal this month, but can anyone suggest a better brand? Going through all the blogs and forums, and talking to salespeople, just makes me think that they are all pretty much equal and that price is the main thing.

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 03:00 PM
The guy I worked for has been forced out of business (long story) and he's trying to sell his old equipment and contracts. His contracts aren't worth anything, in my opinion, and neither is his old equipment. I wanted to buy his blower and three trimmers, but he said it's a package deal. Does anyone ever get more than a one year contract? I don't do snow removal. Scag has a great deal this month, but can anyone suggest a better brand? Going through all the blogs and forums, and talking to salespeople, just makes me think that they are all pretty much equal and that price is the main thing.

Glad to here that you didn't take the accounts from him before you left. Now that being said, I have run Grasshopper and John Deere. i just recently went back to Deere due to dealer support. I started with a 737 and a 777, then went to a 932 and a 325D Grasshopper. Now I have a 925A EFI with a 54" MOD and clam shell type bagger. LOVE IT!! I also purchased a 997 with a 60" deck for larger areas. I don't like 72" deck mowers unless I have a large,flat level area to mow. They tend to scalp pretty bad on uneven areas. I don't think you will go on with what ever you choose. The main thing is having a dealer that will support you.

evencut
03-06-2012, 03:45 PM
trooper8870, thanks for your input. Do you have one year contracts? Also, the salesman did try to sell me on the cost savings of an efi. Do you think they are worth the extra cost?

trooper8870
03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
trooper8870, thanks for your input. Do you have one year contracts? Also, the salesman did try to sell me on the cost savings of an efi. Do you think they are worth the extra cost?

One year contracts in my area are hard to get. And it is simply due to companies not keeping their contractual agreements in the off season. The biggest thing I here from clients is I tried that before and got burned!! So, it's hard to get them to start back.

Now as far as the EFI goes, I recieved the first unit in my area. It does very well on fuel consumption, but I'm having an issue right now with power. Deere is looking into it to see whats going on. One of there selling features was the EFI's ability to overcome the decrease in power due to heavy mowing conditions or what ever would cause the decrease. My unit is very weak to the point of stalling when going up an incline or with the bagger attached. But I have full confidence in them that they will rectify the problem. That is just one of those things you go through on a new design until flaws are worked out!!

Pietro
03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Toro Diesel = Lots of power and 0% interest. Thats what I got em.

THEGOLDPRO
03-06-2012, 07:23 PM
How many accounts do you consider "many accounts"