PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying Lawn Mowers

bbo
03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Should i buy a new or used Scag SWZ walk behind? I am inthe process of starting my own business and I have about 6 to 10 clients (resd); still growing. I am low on money so i would have to finace it if i bought a new one. Any advice? Please help

AmazingLawns
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Should i buy a new or used Scag SWZ walk behind? I am inthe process of starting my own business and I have about 6 to 10 clients (resd); still growing. I am low on money so i would have to finace it if i bought a new one. Any advice? Please help

How much are the new Scag SWZ walk behinds? If you are low on money, I would buy it new if you can get the 0% financing for 48 months. That way your cash would be freed up for other things you need to buy. We just financed the Scag v-ride stand on. It worked out good, because it freed up our cash to buy the trailer and all the other things we needed to get started. (the v-rides are on sale right now, too, through the end of the month. I was considering the walk behind, but ended up going with the v-ride because of sale price and financing deal.) If you could find a good deal used on the SWZ and be able to pay in cash for everything you need and not finance, that would definitely be the best option, but if you are going to have to use credit at some point during your start up phase, I would definitely do it with the 0% financing offer if you can get it.

agent walker
03-06-2012, 11:21 PM
go with good used until you get more clients

bbo
03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
The scag swz hyrdaulic is about 6200$ 0% for 48 months or 2.99 for 60 months, the problem is..since i am so new at this i dont have a credit card so i dont have any credit; which will make it difficult to finace. Also same deal but with a pick up truck? should i buy a new or used truck? I am just worried about buying old trucks/lawn mower because in the long run i believe itll cost more money fixing them up. Any opinions?

agent walker
03-07-2012, 01:46 PM
For the price of a new truck, you can spend a LOT on repairs to make up the difference. Theres a difference between old and worn out versus good used well maintained equipment. I realize you probably don't have the money, but rememeber, Cash always talks.

bbo
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
ok thank you ll ill try and keep that in mind. Can anyone recommend a good site to find used trucks or lawn mowers? I work out of Connecticut

agent walker
03-07-2012, 03:03 PM
ebay and autotrader for trucks. or craigslist. If you know any bigger lawn care companies in your area you can check with them for mowers. They usually upgrade every few years. the main thing is to keep up with maintenace on them and keep them clean. dirty engines overheat and wear out before there time. change the oil oftener then recommended is cheap insurance as well

petscanning
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I saw someone with a nice looking 33" cub cadet walk behind for $600 on the cl. Its not as big or commercial but better to invest just a little money get some cash flow and pay for something bigger later and sell your old stuff with little depreciation.
I bought a nice residential S/P honda mower for 125 last year and have used the snout out of it doing lawns and leaves this fall. Now I am about to buy a Ybravo 25" or another honda commercial with my extra cash. I can easily sell the old mower for what I paid for it. I have a helper and this will probably be his mower tell I trust him with my new one.

AmazingLawns
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
The scag swz hyrdaulic is about 6200$ 0% for 48 months or 2.99 for 60 months, the problem is..since i am so new at this i dont have a credit card so i dont have any credit; which will make it difficult to finace. Also same deal but with a pick up truck? should i buy a new or used truck? I am just worried about buying old trucks/lawn mower because in the long run i believe itll cost more money fixing them up. Any opinions?

If you can't get the 0% financing deal, then I would definitely try to find a good used mower versus buying new- same for a truck. We got a used 2002 Ford F-150 two years ago before we even decided to start a lawn care company and it's running good for us with no problems- haven't had to fix anything yet since we've had it. And like someone else mentioned, you could afford a whole lot of fixes before it would cost you what a new one would be. We found our truck on auto trader for a great price- drove a couple of hours for it, but it was worth it to save a lot of money. Definitely check autotrader for the truck. Not sure where to find a used mower, but I'm sure some LCO's on here could help you with that. I checked craigslist and the paper, but didn't find anything near me, which is why I ended up going with new for our main mower- well, that and the financing deal and sale price. I wouldn't consider financing with a high interest rate if I were you- if you don't have credit, then you probably won't qualify for the 0% and your interest rate may be very high. You could very, very quickly get in over your head especially when starting a new business! Start out small and build from there- just my two cents. :)