PDA

View Full Version : Best way to start introducing an extra $$$ for bagging clippings in Walker Country..?

Exact Rototilling
03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Best way to start introducing an extra charge for bagging clippings in an area full of Walkers....?

Okay.... I’m pretty much stuck bagging many lawns in the spring for the most part. It’s extra work and with a side catcher it’s a PITA even if my lawns are small.

It’s about time my customers start paying extra for the additional time it takes and/or haul off and disposal fees. In many areas it is factored into the price.

The angle of “just educate your customers on the benefits of mulching is all great but even with those clients those lawn just have to be bagged with vibrant juicy sticky gooey spring growth.

I transition to mulch mow once the Spring rush is over on many lawns. The only lawns I keep bagging are the ones that have those long pesky Ponderosa Pine needles that don’t mulch well.

What I do know is I need to be"In Control" of when I mulch mow or bag NOT the customer.

Having to triple or quad cut a lawn to grind down the excessive growth is no time savings at all and the clean up on hard surfaces is a disaster.... track marks etc. :dizzy:

I can deal with double cutting the lawns are typcially small.

Please no comments like “bagging is for noobs” etc....:laugh:....:hammerhead:

CircleC
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Get with the program...get a Walker! The bad thing is every other LCO is dictating the market. Sure, you can get away with not bagging, but if you are charging $30 + a $5 bag fee. Next guy mows with a Walker, cuts in half the time and charges $27. Who do you think the customer is going to choose. YaYaYA..I do great work. Everyone says that....get a Walker and deal with the bagging. Sorry Dude....
Posted via Mobile Device

Salcido Lawn
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't bag any of my yards. It's a PITA!! I refuse to.

WHIPPLE5.7
03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Pacific Northwest VS. Texas, there is a differance and bagging is needed in some places. I hate bagging too but its just part of the deal around here.

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't bag any of my yards. It's a PITA!! I refuse to.

Nobody, I mean nobody bags here unless it's someone cutting a zoysia lawn with a rotary...I have yet to see anyone bag St Augustine here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
$5 extra seems kinda cheap to deal with bagging, unless I'm missing something here.
Posted via Mobile Device

bohiaa
03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
you could do your OWN research, it sounds like you need to.......

you could pring out some stats on how clippings are causing a pile up at our land fills, and how MOST STATES in the USA have spent hundrend of thousands on trying to eduicate the public on the benifits of mulching.

one of the funnest things I have seen is.

A guy goes and spends 35-50.00 on fert, then the VERY NEXT Week he bagged his clippings, I SIMPLY COULD NOT BELIVE IT.....

Best of luck

yardguy28
03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm always surprised to read someone bags the clippings and doesn't charge extra.

I have charged extra from day one. usually $5-$10 more depending on the size of the lawn. it takes more time and in most cases costs a little to dump them at a recycling center.

as for how to introduce it to clients my only suggestion is a letter. kind of hard though when they are used to not paying extra.

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM
buy a walker and you wont mind bagging lol

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm always surprised to read someone bags the clippings and doesn't charge extra.

I have charged extra from day one. usually $5-$10 more depending on the size of the lawn. it takes more time and in most cases costs a little to dump them at a recycling center.

as for how to introduce it to clients my only suggestion is a letter. kind of hard though when they are used to not paying extra.
You have to charge extra for it. If it takes you longer, they should be paying more. It seems like it would be a big inconvenience to me. Especially if you are doing .5 acres and up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
you could do your OWN research, it sounds like you need to.......

you could pring out some stats on how clippings are causing a pile up at our land fills, and how MOST STATES in the USA have spent hundrend of thousands on trying to eduicate the public on the benifits of mulching.

one of the funnest things I have seen is.

A guy goes and spends 35-50.00 on fert, then the VERY NEXT Week he bagged his clippings, I SIMPLY COULD NOT BELIVE IT.....

Best of luck

Not much need for me to get educated on the turf benefits of side discharge or mulch mowing Ė pretty much have that drill covered. *trucewhiteflag*

Some of my customer are on board and knew itís better and doesnít cause thatch. Some are not and they are elderly and it's tough to get through....on the facts etc. you can only go so far. :hammerhead:

It is just an issue of speed during spring growth so I donít have to triple and quad cut lawns which is a messy PITA. Also if it rains 5 days out of 7 itís even worse. Thatís when I break out the yBravo 25 and grind through the lawns anyhow.

If I take clipping to the dump I get charged $54.10 a ton.

As for breaking down and buying a Walker... not going to happen anytime soon. I looked into it over a year ago. I generally chase after accounts that are smaller and have a 40Ē gate. Lots of lawn cutter here who have 42Ē+ Walkers and then Toro commercial 21ís. They move fast on the front lawn then itís tick tock in the back. C model Walker with a 36 deck requires the skinny tires and that will rut badly. Most of my customer hate riding mowers on their lawns anyhow.

Not to start a cut quality war.....and I like how the Walker deck follows the terrain but the cut quality on my BOP 32 and 44 is better and there is no tail wheel track. Several of my accounts are right next to Walker mowed lawns. Mine just look better even when mulch mowing. Granted the Walker guys move faster when mowing, dumping is easy but I try to stay away from accounts were the Walker guys are faster. Maybe some day but not this year.

Iíve been low balled on a few of my accounts by other long time LCO's in the area that donít charge extra for clipping removal and are full service but their quality stinks.

CircleC
03-07-2012, 12:19 AM
$54 bucks a ton...that is a lot,however; that is a lot of grass! I bag basicly everything, overflow the bed of my truck and pay about $7-$10 a load. I go just about every day. I don't think you have to "charge" extra, you just have to know your cost of mowing/bagging a lawn and charge accordingly.

Have you thought about a larger accelarator? Before I had my Walker I used a large tree bin. I could get about 3 full accelarator bags before dumping. I would carry to the backyard when trimming and fill it up. Before blowing dump it, then blow.

Bagging is a bastard, but its just par for the course around here. People have been trained over time to prefer it.

NW grass and Southern grasses are two diffrent things! Fertilized, watered, growing rye/bluegrass is like glue and clumps so easy! Its a bastard in the spring...add a few days of rain and your hating life! Stained concrete, stained hands, and clumpy lawns!

Good luck...
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
03-07-2012, 12:30 AM
My BOP mower Max out at the standard size. Frankly.the weight of wet clippings in the standard Accelerator is all I.will.put my back through.

This is how I injured my back last year but it was.from.lifting the Selbro steel.catcher instead. Chronic sleep deprivation from my.other biz and incorrect lifting took its toll on me. Now that I've researched spine Bio.mechanics I now know how if can do this with out destroying my back.
Posted via Mobile Device

CircleC
03-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Back problems...Walker with a Hi-Lift!

Could you get a 42 thru 50 percent of your lawns...time saved on 50 percent might be a nice time/energy saver.

Just a thought....
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Back problems...Walker with a Hi-Lift!

Could you get a 42 thru 50 percent of your lawns...time saved on 50 percent might be a nice time/energy saver.

Just a thought....
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny ....I had a dream last night I demoed a Walker.

The 42" would only fit in a few back yards. My Quick 44 WB only saves me a few min on all but a few properties and on many days just takes up trailer space. 32" - 36" deck width mower just work more efficiently for my business model and properties I target.
Posted via Mobile Device

CircleC
03-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Dude...u should demo a Walker and see how it works for you. You never know it might fit your biz better than you think. You never know til you give it a try...
Posted via Mobile Device

Jbh0724
03-25-2012, 12:01 AM
I couldnt live without my two walkers. Life savers