PDA

View Full Version : Would you tow this?

rkeguy
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I have scheduled to rent a mini excavator (Bobcat 325) this coming weekend to work on project at my own house and the more I think about this I am concerned about pulling it (or stopping it rather). I have a 92 F150 2WD Single Cab, I6 300 engine, 3.55 gears, 5 spd pulling 16' car trailer. I know the trailer will handle the Bobcat, but not sure if I am seriously exceeding the weight limit. The weight of the Bobcat is 6145 lbs.

The store I am renting from does offer delivery/pick up but not sure how costly that service is. From the rental store to my house is about 6 miles involving some hills but nothing to steep. I have not pulled anything this heavy with this truck.

What would you suggest?

mow king
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
You'll definitely be pushing it but I've done and seen worse in my earlier years. I'd make sure the brakes on the trailer and truck are working really well..The motor will handle it just fine. Make sure to position the mini to have the proper amount of tongue weight.

Patriot Services
03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Slow towing, lots of stopping distance and pray nobody pulls out in front of you. You'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

dz302
03-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't. Too much load for too little truck. You hurt somebody and you in deep.........Not worth the risk IMHO.......

rkeguy
03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the fast replies. I forgot to mention in my OP that my brake controller box for the trailer brakes has not worked in years. Never worried about it since I am usually only pulling landscape trailer w/mowers. The car trailer does have brakes and a runaway pin but doesn't matter since brake controller in cab not working.

KrayzKajun
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Slow towing, lots of stopping distance and pray nobody pulls out in front of you. You'll be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amen to that.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
03-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I would just get it delivered, that machine weighs 6145 lb. without the weight of the trailer which is more then likely another thousand pounds. thats too heavy for an f150 without trailer brakes.

Patriot Services
03-06-2012, 05:59 PM
It is only 6 miles, can't you just drive it home?
Posted via Mobile Device

BrandonV
03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I would just get it delivered, that machine weighs 6145 lb. without the weight of the trailer which is more then likely another thousand pounds. thats too heavy for an f150 without trailer brakes.

don't risk a wreck. delivery is cheap in the grand scheme of things

crazymike
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Even though you would probably make it.

The delivery cost from the dealer will be far less than the ticket if you were caught.

jsslawncare
03-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Put the truck on the trailer and use the bobcat to pull the trailer. Just an idea.

mow king
03-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Without working trailer brakes - I would never pull that with a older half ton. Got a buddy with a 3/4 quarter ton+ that you could borrow?

crazymike
03-06-2012, 08:52 PM
no offense, but really, make a phone call and ask how much! You posted this at 4:30. If you called you would probably find out delivery fee is minimal

Also, if your truck is overloaded, some rental places will not let you leave with their equipment.

rkeguy
03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to have it delivered and the price is cheaper than an insurance claim or lawsuit. I knew that the weight would be pushing the limits of the truck so that is why I was interested in asking persons whom may hauled that kind of weight. The most I've ever pulled with that truck was around 3,500 #'s and that was when the trailer brake controller was working on the truck.
I orginially scheduled a skidsteer which is not as heavy but after looking further into the project I am doing decided to go with a mini excavator to make job faster.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-07-2012, 11:37 AM
20 year old f150 to tow a small excavator with on a trailer which would make that around 10000 pounds. I honestly can not believe you even got people to suggest you should try that. Glad to hear you saw the light and are having it delivered instead. I have that image from Johny Dangerously in my head now when they cut the D As brakes and his old car hits a 100 mph going down the hill as he yells ooooohhhhh my goooooddd.

JB1
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
if you are ever in doubt about something like this, then don't.

rkeguy
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
20 year old f150 to tow a small excavator with on a trailer which would make that around 10000 pounds. I honestly can not believe you even got people to suggest you should try that. Glad to hear you saw the light and are having it delivered instead. I have that image from Johny Dangerously in my head now when they cut the D As brakes and his old car hits a 100 mph going down the hill as he yells ooooohhhhh my goooooddd.

Yeah, I kept seeing an image in my head of me hitting the brakes and sliding down the road with all wheels locked. The rental store is charging $100 for delivery and pickup and the machine is $250 for the day. I think the $100 is well worth it.

I appreciate all input.

LindblomRJ
03-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I kept seeing an image in my head of me hitting the brakes and sliding down the road with all wheels locked. The rental store is charging $100 for delivery and pickup and the machine is $250 for the day. I think the $100 is well worth it.

I appreciate all input.

I think you chose wisely.

unkownfl
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
The hitch alone is most likely not rated for that. I believe your hitch is a 500/5000 unless you run a WDH. Your ball is probably 6000lbs?

Golden Boy
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
good decision....... after working in a rental yard for 2 years saw a lot of things that shouldn't me let out the gate. I once saw a skid steer on a single axle tilt trailer at the grocery store. I couldn't believe they were able to do it without breaking the axle

4 seasons lawn&land
03-08-2012, 10:49 PM
If you distributed it well it would do it. But not without the trailer brakes. I tow my 12,000 lb with my 2500 and the trailer is 3000. More like the trailer is driving the truck. but a dump truck is on the short list this year.

PlantscapeSolutions
03-09-2012, 02:30 AM
The other thing people don't consider is when loading you putting almost all the weight on the rear axle. That 6000 lbs on a 3.5K axle. You will end up bending the hubs on the ends of the axles. If you look at many trailers on the roads it very common to see lots of damaged trailers where the tops of the wheels are leaning in.

I know many rental places won't even rent a skid unless you have at least a 3/4 ton.

sealcutter
03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Broken brake controller! The other side of my business is sealcoating and I have been scaled and inspected several times. I check my controller and brakes as I am pulling out on to the main road. Blew out a rear wheel cylinder a few years back under heavy braking the pedal went half way to the floor, I still had front brakes but the trailer brakes lock up and I could feel the trailer holding the truck back. Get it delivered and fix your brakes so you don't injure someone else, remember you just admitted on a open forum that you know your trailer brakes don't work.

sealcutter
03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
The other thing people don't consider is when loading you putting almost all the weight on the rear axle. That 6000 lbs on a 3.5K axle. You will end up bending the hubs on the ends of the axles. If you look at many trailers on the roads it very common to see lots of damaged trailers where the tops of the wheels are leaning in.

I know many rental places won't even rent a skid unless you have at least a 3/4 ton.

I hear you about that, he would need to block the rear of the trailer cause I am pretty sure it would lift the rear of that truck of the ground loading it on. Don't ask me how I know that.:laugh:

Patriot Services
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
He said he was using a car hauler. I would hope it can handle a skid steer.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
03-09-2012, 10:04 PM
He said he was using a car hauler. I would hope it can handle a skid steer.
Posted via Mobile Device

You wouldn't think anyone would build car haulers with 3.5K axles but I find almost every one you see on the road has the light duty axles. I would say 9 out of ten haulers I see are light duty units that are a waste of money.

Nobody wants to pay the money it takes to get the heavier frame, 7K axles, and twin electric brakes. The DOT at the state and federal level scrutinize the big rigs while the little guys are running around with dangerous POS trailers or over loaded trailers.

Here in Texas all trailers tandems and above are supposed to be inspected but if you drive around you rarely see stickers.

18lmslcsr
03-14-2012, 01:52 AM
GCVW 3.08=9000lbs, 3.31=9500lbs, 3.55=10,000lbs
Max tow 3.08=4300lbs, 3.31=4800lbs, 3.55=5300lbs

Chris

dwc
03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Our rental store in town asks when you call to check on renting equipment if you have a 3/4 ton or larger truck for skids and tractors. They will not rent one unless you have it delivered or have an appropriate truck.