PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation: Pics

jbell36
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
i need some ideas on what to do here...first of all, any idea what happened? simply heat/drought stress from last summer? why is it so clumpy, this is fairly common and i would like to know what causes it...

this is roughly 800 sq. ft. and she is leaning toward resodding it although seed is still an option, main concern is the dog will be back there a little...how would you go about the prep work? sod cutter? dingo/harley rake?...keep in mind the gate is about 40" or so...

the last picture is of one of the clumps, not a very good picture either, couldn't really see with the sunlight...weed control was done last year...this is fescue correct? there is a possibility of bluegrass...could also be a weed that i'm not familiar with, my guess was clumps of fescue...

i quoted around $800 without much pricing...our sod is about .18 cents a sq. ft. for fescue, i could rent the dingo and attachment for $105 to get the job done...

any input would be appreciated, thanks...

Gmgbo
03-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Do they have a dog?

Smallaxe
03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
When you say the dog will be back there "a little" you/she means, to take a whiz , correct?
Never waste money on sod if there is going to be a dog there... Couldn't really see the soil itself, so not sure what prep work might work best, but I would overseed, heavily with perennial and annual ryegrass...

They claim that KBG is most sensitive to urine N burn... you know to never apply N to a dog area, correct?

ron mexico75
03-07-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't know about Kansas but I wouldn't put any lawn in during the Spring, I assume you know why or maybe you don't because you are asking what to do. I would wait until August, spray glyphosate, till to 4-5 inches, rake out the clumps.

Seed with a QUALITY seed that is rated for YOUR area, not a "National Brand".

Those clumps do appear to be an undesirable fescue and perhaps came from a "contractor grade" seed. If a dog is going to be back there AT ALL, it will be detrimental to the yard. Digging, urine stains come to mind.

That's my take and I agree with the other poster, don't waste money on sod especially with a dog in the equation.

RigglePLC
03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
This could be the result of planting a tall fescue, blue, rye blend. Blue never came up and rye died in the heat. I think I see "poor air drainage". Heat builds up because fence blocks wind and otherwise cooling breezes, humidity could result in brown patch fungus... Suggestions: more porous fence, install irrigation, (at least a battery operated sprinkler timer). Sod, or overseed--use a top quality, fine texture, disease resistant cultivar. Combine it with about 15 percent heat-resistant bluegrass for better self-healing properties. Water at a cost of about a dollar a week would have prevented this. Leave some seed behind so that she can reseed the dog spots as fast as they occur.

jbell36
03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
thanks for the replies...i really was asking to see what others would do, maybe giving me a better idea of how others do it...what i honestly don't know is what happened back there...knowing the neighborhood i would say it was sodded initially...now it looks like this and i just don't understand what causes the clumping...yes that is the dog's domain back there but it is also in the house part of the time...

what i would do, after speaking with the customer, is get it graded back down either using a tiller or a dingo with a harley rake, then sod it with no guarantee (she is leaning towards sod)...a soil test would be smart but she wants to get it done now...i understand this is not the best time to do this but it can still work...

i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, my biggest question is what happened...once again you can go as far as soil test, compost, till, starter fert, sod...doubt she would go for it though

a variety of grasses makes sense riggle, with a certain fescue type suriviving...i doubt it is the dog, that is usually spots, this is just the opposite...

any other opinions?

RigglePLC
03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Consider top-quality disease resistant tall fescue seed. (Or sod.)
http://www.turfmerchants.com/turf_type_tall_fescue/3rd-millenium.php
If there is a bit of shade the grass looks slightly better. I think if you look close, you can see how the hot afternoon sun burned out the northeast corner the worst. Smart dogs stay inside, away from that corner. It probably remains above 90 most of the summer. Get the hose timer. http://www.melnor.com/products-aquatimers.php

Kill whatever is there. Smooth it out with a power rake or sod cutter, whatever you have. Add the new seed or sod. No guarantee without irrigation.

Smallaxe
03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Dog spots add up to a large area that they commonly urinate on... the dogs can be in the all the time and only go out to urinate and that will do that... especially evident in the springtime, because the grass isn't growing and the microbes are not breaking down the urea at all... don't decieve yourself about this just because the h.o. is in denial... spend very little money on the project, becuz there is very little that can be done... there are a few things, but it takes a strategy... :)