PDA

View Full Version : Removing concrete slab

saktate
12-06-2002, 06:15 AM
I am the homeowner of the concrete slab in the photo, which measures about 26x36 feet and is 6 inches thick. It was poured about 25 years ago over dirt with no rebar or wire. I need to remove this slab so a new foundation can be poured for a three car garage. I do not own any heavy equipment. I need suggestions as to what equipment I should rent to complete this job. A 40 foot container is available to me to put the waste in for $230. Thank you,

SCL
12-06-2002, 08:37 AM
Minimum 80 lb. hammer with a compressor, available at any rental place. A skid loader would be nice to lift into a container, or a loader tractor. May need a concrete saw if slab is attached to something. Sledge hammer for bust ups and qick breaks, and a strong back.

crawdad
12-06-2002, 09:44 AM
If you rent a skid steer to load the stuff into the container with, consider also renting the jack hammer attachment for it. You can bust that slab up in no time. I haven't used one of these, but I did watch. Prepare to be shook up. The fact that there is no steel in the slab will help out tremendously.
Of course you will need eye and ear protection, this attachment is one serious machine.
Crawdad

saktate
12-06-2002, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the advice. I may also remove some of the asphalt for aesthetic reasons but I expect that to just crumble compared to the concrete. Thanks again.

hosejockey2002
12-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Something to consider is the weight of the concrete to be hauled away. At 125-150 pounds per cubic foot, you have approximately 60,000-70,000 pounds of broken concrete to haul. I'm not sure of the weight capacity of the 40 foot container but I would be very surprised if it could handle that much weight in one load.

saktate
12-06-2002, 08:23 PM
The truth is I never thought about the weight capacity of the 40 foot container. I'll get that resolved before I begin. Thanks, I needed to hear that.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2002, 12:12 AM
I figured it out you got roughly 34 tons of rubble once busted up a standard gravel truck can only carry 15 tons legally but can pack 16 tons. With rip rap like that you can't get full 15 tons because concrete is bulky and you end up with lots of gaps and air spaces. You can expect atleast 3 gravel truck loads this would be a truck with a 16'6" box a standard West Coast truck.

A 40 yard rolloff container can only carry max 15 ton you can get a bit more into one because of the extra lenght but not much more.

If I was gonna do the job I would probably use a EX-150 sized excavator with a hydraulic thumb and hook the bucket under the slab and lift it up. With concrete being 25 years old its brittle as chalk and no rebar or reinforcing in it even better it would bust up nice. Theres no need for a jack hammer you start on one corner that will peal up like a piece of cake then load the chunks into a gravel truck. Having a hydraulic thumb on the excavator is a must because it can grab onto those chunks without dropping them. I figure it wouldn't take anymore than 2-3 hours to bust that up it all depends on how far a person would have to haul it.

It would be cheaper to hire a local excavation contractor to come in and remove the slab trying todo it with a jack hammer and a skid steer will take a long time. You can get a hydraulic hammer for a skid steer but then you got alot of hand work picking up the chunks and throw it into the bucket.

If your worried about a steel tracked machine on the pavement you lay some plywood down or throw a layer of sand down to give the tracks some cushion.

Good luck

Scag48
12-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Better yet, get a 10,000 Bobcat or other brand mini-excavator with rubber tracks and a hyd. thumb. Take the bucket, bust it up a little at the corners and you got it.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2002, 01:18 AM
A heavier mini could do it a Kubota 151X will do it one of the contractors here I work with has one in his excavation business and its surprising what that machine can do. Its on steel tracks so but the tracks are 18-20"s wide so they don't do that much damage.

You can get a breaker attachment for mini excavators now I don't know if they available as rental units thou it will help get the concrete broke up.

Our point is a excavator is the only way togo you need a machine with a hydraulic thumb don't even try do the job with a thumbless machine. A mechanical thumb will work but its slower and takes more skill to grab onto pieces with it a hydraulic thumb is fast and nimble.

saktate
12-07-2002, 07:05 AM
Well, there's certainly plenty to do on my property and I try to pick and choose the work I can do to save a little cash (couple kids still at the house). I'd have never thought it would be cheaper to hire a pro. I suppose I'll check out rental fees and such and then have a pro provide an estimate. Any money saved can go into the garage I'll build.

I've got to admit, I was looking forward to the power trip I know I'd experience running some heavy toys! I just finished busting up old chicago brick sidewalk layed on top of an even older concrete walk 24 foot long. I used a maul and cold chisel. Hard work but made me feel alive. I remember watching my Dad work hard like this when I was a boy (most times using more muscle than brains) but it sure instilled a respectable work ethic in me.

Didn't mean to ramble, just sippin first cup of coffee and trying to get educated.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2002, 12:55 PM
Most of the time it is worth hiring a contractor todo some of the jobs because by the time you rent a machine and hire a truck it can get expensive. You can do it by hand but your gonna be there for awhile using a electric jack hammer or a 12lb sledge hammer and load the rubble into a P/U truck.

When I worked in the local rental shop a 325 Bobcat mini excavator rented for 250 dollars a day plus fuel and this machine is pretty small it would struggle trying todo the job you got.

For 250 dollars that would pay for atleast 3 hrs of a excavation contractors time to bust up the concrete with a fair sized machine then you would have to add another 65 bucks per hour for trucking. I don't know where you would dump the rubble but that can cost you money at the local landfill but most contractors I work with keep the material and use it for fill.

If you have a company drop off a rolloff container you get charged for a drop off and pick up and a daily usage fee then get charged for a dumping fee. The longer that container sits there while your loading it yourself more it costs in the daily rental fee.

Good Luck

cat320
12-07-2002, 02:07 PM
a heavy mini excavator with a thumb just like gravalrat said .I pulled up a slab simmiler to that with my 580 but we just dug and burried on site.

dan deutekom
12-08-2002, 08:49 AM
On a job like this you are far better off to hire a contractor with the right equipment to do the job. It will be done faster, safer and cheaper than you could ever do it yourself using rental equipment that is usually undersized for this type of work, and takes 3 times as long as the right equipment. A good wheeled loader/hoe will make short order of this slab and have it hauled away in a short morning. This type of equipment is the standard of the small excavation contractor.

therainman
02-13-2003, 07:50 PM
I work in a manufacturing plant, we often remove concrete floors, The best way I have seen it done is to take a saw and cut it into squares. then take a skidsteer with forks nd lift them out. set them on wooden pallets and load on trailer. They do not seem to have trouble getting people to take these slabs like this. This is a very clean way to do this job..... Very little brpoken pieces will be left when you are done...

shawn

micromike
02-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Many concrete supply companies take broken up concrete for a small fee or free. They grind it up and re-use it. It doesn't belong in a land fill and the cost to dump would be quite high anyway.

Mike

ipm
02-14-2003, 07:46 PM
We do this kind of work all of the time, and the easiest way to do it is with a skid loader. 873, 863, 883. I am busting one out right now that is 7 1/2" thick. All you have to do is find a crack, or a place to get the teeth under, and the rest just pulls up and breaks. If you can try to fold it over and break it that way, or drop it out of your bucket in a pile, trust me it will break.

I will tell you that you can only fill a 20 yard roll of 3/4 full. A 40 yard container CANNOT be filled full of concrete. You will spend more time unloading it than you did filling it. 2c

landman
02-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Like mentioned before I would come in with my PC180 with a thumb and pick up break and load in 1 motion. I would load it into my own trucks and haul to the recycling plant. I would probably charge around $2000.00 and be outta there in about 4 hours. But I know that everybody doesn't have the equiptment I have either. I would say to rent at least a JohnDeere 410 or similar backhoe and not a bobcat or similar. Around here it cost about $225.00 a day to rent a baocat and about $350.00 for the full size hoe. The versatility of being able to rip it out with the hoe and then scoop it up with the front bucket and load in the container will be worth the diffrence. also see if you can find a local contractor to do it at a good price, it is the slow season and some guys would rather make a little money than none at all.