PDA

View Full Version : Driveway grade? hard packed gravel..

pavwa
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
A customer asked if I would be able to fill in the potholes and grade a very large drive, I said I could fill in the holes but it would be a very large job as I do not have large equipment and man power. As I was thinking, I thought about my ATV and how I could put an attachment on it to help with or do the entire job. I was thinking box scraper and was wondering if anyone has used this before and if so how it worked out, or should I approach it from another direction. I don't have a bobcat or a loader or anything as I am a solo operation and don't get into large jobs. Any info or opinions would be great, thanks

Deererunner
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Have you talked to the customer to see why these pot holes are forming? I'm assuming it is a stone mix driveway. Ask the customer if the holes continue to get bigger after everytime it rains. If so, then you have a compaction problem along with possible grade issues. The base of the drivway maybe weak and need to be recompacted. For this, you cannot just use a ATV and rake it out. Ideal solution but costly and requires a lot of equipment, redo the whole drive. I mean from the base up. Take up the top layer and base layer. Compact the subgrade as long as it is suitable for compaction. Next do your base material and then finish off with your final material (layer) compacting each layer as you go. Think of it as a base for a patio, if the customer had issues with pavers shifting, you wouldn't just add sand, you would find out the reason first for why it is doing it and check the base. Hope this helps..

pavwa
03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
It is actually a service drive behind a building that gets used a little more than originally anticipated. With in the next 2 years or so they are going to turn it into a cement\asphalt drive but not until the expansions to the buildings are complete. So in the mean time they just want a band aid put onto it just to get by.. I actually suggested to them that i may be able to figure something out so they can save some money on re doing the whole thing, only for a couple years of use. I was just thinking if I could get away with smoothing it out somewhat and maybe offer them a monthly regrading to keep it up....I still haven't decided on if I want to take the job or not, trying to figure it out. Thanks

Dr.NewEarth
03-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Perhaps you could use a mix with crushed limestone in it? It gets hard once it gets wet.

We use it to make paths, and the guy next door uses it on our common farm driveway.

2brothersyardcare
03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
why not rent a tractor and spread then use the bucket to pack it down. or a compactor.

White Gardens
03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
You need to just call someone with the equipment to do it.

cutbetterthanyou
03-07-2012, 05:35 PM
How big/deep are the pot holes? cr6 or #2s then top coat is what i would probally do.

pavwa
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
My main question was just seeing if anyone has used an atv and a box scraper or something similar to do this type of job. I think I'm going to get a hold of some bigger equipment and use that rather than the atv as it probably would do the job but would take a lot of time. I know how to go about the job but was trying to see what you guys thought on the equipment, if I didnt have to borrow, rent, or subcontract I wouldn't. Thanks guys

cutbetterthanyou
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry about not answering the question, but if it helps my grandfather bought one of those box scrapes you pull behind your mower/atv he said it was a joke. Pics would help us help you. Like i said before, I would fill the potholes with cr6 or 2s. If they arent that big you dont need anything but a shovel and a way to get the material there (your pickup or trailer). Like someone said before it was probally a bad base , my solution would be keep putting something in the bad spots untill it stops sinking. I think if you just keep scraping it you wouldn't solve the problem, you are just pulling stones up and moving them around. Ideally rip it out do it right from the begining, cost effective put something in there that will tighten up and fix the problem