PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with my business name.

born2farm
03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Some of you may have seen my thread over in the Starting forum, but I wanted to ask my question here about the name to narrow it down some.

I currently am an LLC under Goodman Snow Services, LLC. As you can see we are snow only but now some things are changing. We are planning on starting full service lawn and landscape in 2013. Here is the problem. What do I do about the company name?

I would like to go by Goodman Lawn and Landscape but do not want to get rid of the Goodman Snow Services name for two reasons 1) I am pretty well recognized in the snow industry with my current name and 2) If the lawn service doesnt work out, we will still be in the snow business regardless.

Here is my idea. I would drop the LLC off of Goodman Snow Services and form an LLC as Goodman Property Services and then have Goodman Lawn and Landscape as a division of the LLC and Goodman Snow Services as a division of the LLC.

My other idea was to just make Goodman Lawn and Landscape a division of Goodman Snow Services. This would be the easiest but may not sound as professional in the customers eyes.

I am open to all suggestions so please chime in.

Thanks guys.

Mahoney3223
03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Drop snow just go services

born2farm
03-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Drop snow just go services

This is something I will think about. Sounds kind of generic, but sometimes that is not always bad. Thanks for the input.

wbw
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
File a dba and do business under both names. No change to the Llc. Cheap, easy problem solved.

born2farm
03-07-2012, 07:35 PM
File a dba and do business under both names. No change to the Llc. Cheap, easy problem solved.

Are you suggesting filing a DBA so it would be Goodman Snow Services, DBA Goodman Lawn and Landscape?

Here was my other idea What if I made my current LLC inactive? I would drop all insurance and workers comp associated with my snow name and just stop using the checking accounts. Then I will create a new LLC as Goodman Lawn and Landscape, LLC. If everything works, this will be the name I go by for as long as the business exists. If things don't work out then I make the LLC active again. The only things I will have to do is set up an insurance policy and unemployment and switch over any vehicle titles that may have changed. What are the opinions on this? I will have to pay a minimum tax filing fee but that might be worth keeping both LLC names??

wbw
03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=born2farm;4341106]Are you suggesting filing a DBA so it would be Goodman Snow Services, DBA Goodman Lawn and Landscape?QUOTE]

Yes I am.

born2farm
03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
I will look into that. I am not sure what is going to happen yet.

mkarps
03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm dealing with a similar....sort of....situation. I am changing from a dba to a LLC prior to start of the season here. The LLC will be a completely different name than my current dba. However I would like to keep accepting my payments under my dba this year but be an LLC. I have a meeting with my accountant tomorrow to figure out how to handle this. Hoping I can continue to post pesticide flags and get checks payable to my dba.

I believe in your case you could just file a dba for your llc or change your name to property service, lawn and landscape etc as a new llc.

APLUS LAWN CARE
03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Some of you may have seen my thread over in the Starting forum, but I wanted to ask my question here about the name to narrow it down some.

I currently am an LLC under Goodman Snow Services, LLC. As you can see we are snow only but now some things are changing. We are planning on starting full service lawn and landscape in 2013. Here is the problem. What do I do about the company name?

I would like to go by Goodman Lawn and Landscape but do not want to get rid of the Goodman Snow Services name for two reasons 1) I am pretty well recognized in the snow industry with my current name and 2) If the lawn service doesnt work out, we will still be in the snow business regardless.

Here is my idea. I would drop the LLC off of Goodman Snow Services and form an LLC as Goodman Property Services and then have Goodman Lawn and Landscape as a division of the LLC and Goodman Snow Services as a division of the LLC.

My other idea was to just make Goodman Lawn and Landscape a division of Goodman Snow Services. This would be the easiest but may not sound as professional in the customers eyes.

I am open to all suggestions so please chime in.

Thanks guys.

I would go with your idea to Goodman Property Services and then have Goodman Snow Services and Goodman Lawn and Landscape. This would allow you to keep your well known name and still have a name for your lawn care & landscaping.

starry night
03-08-2012, 10:00 PM
born2farm: In Ohio, you can file for a "trade name" with the Secretary of State's office and operate it as a division of your LLC. (See my signature.)

born2farm
03-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm dealing with a similar....sort of....situation. I am changing from a dba to a LLC prior to start of the season here. The LLC will be a completely different name than my current dba. However I would like to keep accepting my payments under my dba this year but be an LLC. I have a meeting with my accountant tomorrow to figure out how to handle this. Hoping I can continue to post pesticide flags and get checks payable to my dba.

I believe in your case you could just file a dba for your llc or change your name to property service, lawn and landscape etc as a new llc.

Ya I am planning on talking to my accountant and seeing what she says. It seems like your plan should be easy enough to do.

I would go with your idea to Goodman Property Services and then have Goodman Snow Services and Goodman Lawn and Landscape. This would allow you to keep your well known name and still have a name for your lawn care & landscaping.

This is my plan if everything works out. We will just see what happens and go from there.

born2farm: In Ohio, you can file for a "trade name" with the Secretary of State's office and operate it as a division of your LLC. (See my signature.)

I will look into this. Thanks for the info.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Just add lawn &... So its Goodman lawn & snow services llc.
Posted via Mobile Device