PDA

View Full Version : Grandstand Speed Control System

Norway11
03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I wanted to get a Grandstand and really like the speed control adjustment that is similar to the throttle. However, I found a 52 inch Exmark Vantage with 35 hours on it at a great price. It is more affordable for me. The Vantage allows you to adjust the bar for speed control, but it is not quite the same or easy.

Can anyone explain how the speed control on the Grandstand works -is it hydraulic or mechanical. The machines are similar. Could I easily add this to the Vantage, any idea on the cost?

Thanks!

rem-md
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Grandstand speed control is hydraulic - basically limits the flow of hydro fluid through the wheel motors to slow it down. - But you still get full travel out of the Fwd-Rev levers. Exmark is mechanical as you have seen - just limits the travel of the levers. I've got a 52" GS - don't use the speed control system a lot, but it is nice and easy to change settings when I do use it.

Norway11
03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I heard they may have taken this off the new Toro Grandstands. Can any confirm. If not it might be easy to put on a Vantage. If it requires new pumps it would be too costly though.

Thanks!

yardguy28
03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I heard they may have taken this off the new Toro Grandstands. Can any confirm. If not it might be easy to put on a Vantage. If it requires new pumps it would be too costly though.

Thanks!

yes they removed the speed control on the newer grandstands.

I have an 09 that had it but after 2 years the control levers just got stiff to move. when the dealer fixed it they redid the hydro system to the newer style removing my speed control. not that I used it anyway.

I actually like the adjustable bar on the vantage and will probably get the vantage next time around.

Norway11
03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Does anyone have the parts and in very good condition. We get the Vantage on Friday and still may add it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-07-2012, 07:46 PM
the speed control on mine was useless.......made no difference at all....

yardguy28
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Does anyone have the parts and in very good condition. We get the Vantage on Friday and still may add it.

I can't help but ask why you are so insistent on this speed control. just adjust the adjustable bar, that's what it's for.

jmurphy
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
In my opinion the speed control on my Grandstand is more of a gimmick than anything else. The best thing to do is get your thumbs used to keeping steady pressure on the control arms at whatever speed you want. When the speed control lever is pulled back it decreases the responsiveness of the hydros and makes the machine turn very slow. Which in turn seems to make it more prone to tear the turf on a turn , due to the inside tire not spinning quick enough in the opposite direction.

RodneyK
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
The GS speed control was a complicated mess that they removed in an update on the 09s and never looked back. Once you have some time (and not that much) on the Vantage you would never use it. Attempting to fit the GS speed control on a Vantage is a really really bad idea if it is even possible.

Sounds like the Vantage has an adjustable bar to limit speed. If not there is probably a way to slow it down a bit for your son to get used to it.

pugs
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
The Grandstand speed control was mechanical. It changed how far the control levers would move the arms on the pump.

The Vantage uses a completely different control system so you would not be able to add it and Toro recommends removing it from any machine that has it.

grassman177
03-08-2012, 09:49 AM
yes, dont get hung up on the speed control, basically useless and was a hot mess. ours have been removed for that reason. they no longer offer it as well, should tell u something right there.

Norway11
03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Ok folks, you convinced me. We will drop this idea and learn to be good operators using the adjustment bar.

Thanks!!