PDA

View Full Version : PJ Trailers -- Ordered mine today

rreyn1812
03-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I know there have been some questions about PJ trailers, however, I couldn't find any of the threads, so I decided to start a new one.

PJ trailers are very well built; a total quality trailer. A new dealer just opened a few miles from my house, so I've been stopping by there every few days to drool. After using a brake-less, generic 16 foot, 77 inch wide trailer, modified by a local welder, for a few years, I'm pretty sure of the kinds of things I need in a trailer to support my work. Haven't been able to find anything really close, so I decided today to order one just like I want.

So, the basic trailer will be a PJ utility (U8-18), 18ft long, 83 inches wide, 2 ft dovetail, 2 ft removable sides (open, no mesh) with pipe top rail, 5.2K axles (one with brakes), 7K lb jack, spare wheel/tire, landscape box, 4 ft heavy duty ramp with spring assist (verified that I will still need my Gorilla lifts), 2-5/16 inch coupler & 16 inch cross-members.

This should fill my needs pretty well. Hauling mowers around, and also cut wood, cuttings from prunings, varous types of soil, and mulch. With having only one trailer for my business, an open trailer is a necessity.

A picture of the basic PJ U8 trailer is seen below. Will update with pics of the trailer I ordered when it comes in, around 4 to 6 weeks. Should be here by the time mowing kicks into high gear, but I noticed today that the bermuda is starting to green up, so it won't be long.

rreyn1812
03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
This is a PJ landscape trailer with the 2 ft mesh sides.

Razorblades
03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Can you give a ballpark figure on how much it cost, set up like that?

TMlawncare
03-07-2012, 08:55 PM
You better head back to the dealer and have them to put trailer brakes on both axles. It will much cheaper then to do it later.

rreyn1812
03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Can you give a ballpark figure on how much it cost, set up like that?

Roughly $3,400 to $3,600.

rreyn1812
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
You better head back to the dealer and have them to put trailer brakes on both axles. It will much cheaper then to do it later.

What is your reasoning for saying that you should have brakes on both axles? Thx.

DirtworXcc
03-07-2012, 09:18 PM
cant speak for Arkansas but in most of the north east trailers have to have brakes on both axles by law. plus i think its a little smoother stopping power ...sounds funny, but if your loaded front heavy you could drag a rear brake setup, reverse for a front axle set up and around here at least "humped" drives, dirt roads, curbs and other trailer flexing topographies will send braked axles skidding ......plus the simple fact that we aren't putting our grandparents 400 dollar sears rider on these things anymore....lots o money to risk for a couple hundred in savings on a single brake axles trailer ......just my 2 cents ....wait 1 cent these days...lol

knox gsl
03-07-2012, 09:24 PM
What is your reasoning for saying that you should have brakes on both axles? Thx.

I added brakes to my back axle this summer, way better in traffic with 2 mowers and all the gear on there. It will almost be like not having a trailer while driving normal. I think that brakes should be standard on every trailer, much safer that way. If its heavy enough for an axle then its heavy enough for another set of brakes

rreyn1812
03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Did a quick search of the web and mostly seems to be a safety issue with heavy loads, especially at higher speeds. Arkansas only requires brakes on one axle, but seems like it may be prudent to go with brakes on both. Thanks for the comments and gettin' the juices flowing!!

Oakleaf landscape
03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
You definitely want brakes on both axles since you upgraded to the 5200lb axles. One brake axle is going to have a hard time stopping 9-10k lbs. I have 5200lb axles and both of them have brakes, makes stopping at full load easy. Shouldn't be but a couple hundred more for the upgrade.

rreyn1812
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
You definitely want brakes on both axles since you upgraded to the 5200lb axles. One brake axle is going to have a hard time stopping 9-10k lbs. I have 5200lb axles and both of them have brakes, makes stopping at full load easy. Shouldn't be but a couple hundred more for the upgrade.

Sounds like I need to add brakes to the other axle. Will check back with the dealer tomorrow. Thanks!

deereman
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I totaly agree with both axle brakes. I too ordered a 18 ' with dove, and only ordered one axle. Replaced brakes way to soon! Not no more tho. We also ordered it with LED lighting, aluminum toolbox, pipe rail, split tractor rear gate and also a 5' side gate. we also ordered it with John Deere green/ yellow pin striping then putting JD mudflaps on it to dress it up a little more. Looks tits! Enjoy your new trailer congrats!!
:)

Razorblades
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Roughly $3,400 to $3,600.

That is a very nice trailer, by the way! FWIW, I would go ahead and add the brakes to the other axle, also.

MOturkey
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
I have a PJ tandem axle 16 ft. The only issue I've had is mine also has the removable sides, and the thing rattles all the time. Only a few of the "stakes" have bolts, and the others tend to rattle. I don't plan on ever removing the rails, and wish I had ordered one with standard sides instead of removable. Other than that, they are a pretty nice trailer.

rreyn1812
03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
I have a PJ tandem axle 16 ft. The only issue I've had is mine also has the removable sides, and the thing rattles all the time. Only a few of the "stakes" have bolts, and the others tend to rattle. I don't plan on ever removing the rails, and wish I had ordered one with standard sides instead of removable. Other than that, they are a pretty nice trailer.

Mo, do you have the landscape box? The ones I've seen have the sides bolted to the cage too, so hopefully it won't rattle, but if it does, I will probably add some old inner tube rubber around the stake to see if that helps. Thanks for the input!

rreyn1812
03-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Wow! That was an expensive upgrade, but it would have been worse except the salesman made a mistake on the first axle. It ended up increasing the price just a little over $600 to add brakes on the second axle. It should be worth it though! Additional stopping power for safety. :weightlifter:

JeffNY
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
This is a PJ landscape trailer with the 2 ft mesh sides.

I have this trailer, with the side gate, and HD axles, and dovetail. Love it. It was around $3900

rreyn1812
03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I have this trailer, with the side gate, and HD axles, and dovetail. Love it. It was around $3900

Yep, that's real close to the price I'm getting mine for.

Marek
03-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Was told by a local trailer dealer that some of the PJs trailers are being made in China now.

Oakleaf landscape
03-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I highly doubt they make the trailers in China. That's a big ass hunk of metal to have to ship half way across the world. Glad you upgraded the axles...

retrodog
03-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Dude pj trailers are made by my house, in fact my neighbor works for them. They have factories in mexico and canada, but none in china....lol. they started here.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
03-09-2012, 02:14 AM
I would update the brakes to being both axles. You don't buy a truck with brakes on one axle and trailers are the same way. Especially, when your getting an 18 footer with the 5K axles that is going to be around 2000 lbs. or so. You going to go broke buying brakes for your truck all the time. With a loaded trailer it's really not safe either. It's cheap to upgrade now but expensive to do it later.

I would get extra uprights installed in the ramp to help prevent damaging the expanded metal. Six is a minimum but eight is what I had on my last mowing trailer. If you use the Elagator lift you wont have a lot of wasted space. For most trailers you don't even need a lift unless you have a bad back.

I know my PJ dump trailer came with LED lights and I would make sure you have them as well. Regular lights just plain suck. Good luck.

rreyn1812
03-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Ordered the extra heavy duty gate, and they had a picture of a trailer they just made for "Rick's Restorations" (History Channel) and I sure hope that is what I'm getting. Even with the spring assists that comes with the gate, I believe that I will need a new Gorilla Lift to handle that gate. It looks to be a beast!!

Marek
03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Yes they did start here but the original owners are gone and now own Load & trail trailers. Dont get me wrong they are nice trailers but the load trail is a bit nicer , made with certified steel

anixon92
03-09-2012, 08:27 AM
PJ trailers are a sister company of Carryon trailers.

Midwest Dave
03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
PJ = Pure Junk

If you use it at about half of it's rated capacity you will be fine. They WILL NOT stand behind their warranty. Save your money, use anything but a PJ, and save up until you can afford a commercial-quality trailer. It will cost at least 50% more but you'll still be pulling it in ten years. PJ's also have Chinese axles, by the way........

retrodog
03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Loadtrail is also right up the road from my house, along with Big Tex, Maxey, Hefty, Buck Dandy, Diamond C, Diamond T, Lamar Trailers, Paris Trailers, and many more. This is trailer country here, Big Tex and PJ are preferred because of the powdercoating and a little fancier looking on the welds...etc. Maxey trailers are my favorite due to the fact they still do a lot of customizing for us, and the prices are quite a bit lower than the other guys here.
Here are a few they have done I had pictures of for us and our customers.

PlantscapeSolutions
03-09-2012, 10:48 AM
PJ = Pure Junk

If you use it at about half of it's rated capacity you will be fine. They WILL NOT stand behind their warranty. Save your money, use anything but a PJ, and save up until you can afford a commercial-quality trailer. It will cost at least 50% more but you'll still be pulling it in ten years. PJ's also have Chinese axles, by the way........

My 20' dump PJ has the made in the USA axles under it. But Dexter who makes a lot of axles for the trailer industry does make it's products in China. But Dexter axles are not bottom of the barrel axles.

Like any manufacturer PJ makes some of the light duty home owner stuff but they really stand out when it comes to the more heavy duty trailers like the dumps and deck overs. I've been hauling 10-14 yards in my dump trailer and it holds up great. The steel frame I-beams and welding are over built. My trailer weighs 9000 lbs empty.

What was your warranty issue and what type of trailer was it? Are you speaking from experience? If you think PJ trailers are low ball priced trailers you may be confused with another manufacturer. PJ and Bigtex are the biggest trailer companies with the best reputations and their prices are about the same.

rreyn1812
03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Went back to the dealer today, since I wanted to take some measurements off a 18 ft utility, as well as some pictures I can use in getting some new signs made for the new trailer.

As to rattling, that was described by one user, I tried to get the side rails to make any noise at all and they didn't budge or rattle at all. Now I realize that it could happen when being pulled, but on the ones I tried there was no give on the removable rails.

As to quality, I've looked at a lot of trailers before selecting PJ, including Big Tex, Texas Bragg, a local welder's product, etc., and the PJ quality is right at the top as to welds, wiring, deck fitting, ramp quality, etc. The axles are a product of an axle manufacturer and on their web site, PJ list 3 different axle manufacturers they use depending on the trailer's load capacity. I believe Dexter is used on the under 14,000 load capacity trailers. Whether they are made in China, or not, is basically irrelevant if they meet the specifications of Dexter. I would prefer American made, but it's not always possible to get a product with ALL American made components.

Of all the comments on LS about PJ trailers, probably over 95% are positive, with most negative comments being relatively minor. Anyone who says a product is "junk" without some backup rationale being provided should basically be discarded until they can provide some vallid reasoning as to their position. Before I make any kind of major purchase, I do a thorough search of the Internet to find any and all reviews and comments about that product. If there are enough negative comments that shows some kind of systemic problem with the product, then I hold off on buying that product. From all the information I've been able to review, I believe that the PJ Trailer product line is one of quality. I will certainly provide a review of the trailer during the coming year.

rreyn1812
03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Here's some pics of the PJ trailer I picked up today!!

PlantscapeSolutions
03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Was there a reason you didn't put expanded metal around the bottom to keep stuff from easily falling out of the trailer? I like my 20' PJ dump. If I were you I would weld in a piece of square tube stock in the center of the ramp. That a lot of unsupported expanded metal. Without more support it not a matter of if it will sag and blow out but when. New trailers are always a learning experience.

I just learned electric brakes suck on a 20' dump and I'm spending $3000 to upgrade to disc brakes.

rreyn1812
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Was there a reason you didn't put expanded metal around the bottom to keep stuff from easily falling out of the trailer?

Yeah, I wanted to easily access the stake pockets to use as tie-downs for my straps and the expanded metal would have prevented that. I plan on putting in some easily installed plywood pieces for when I haul mulch or soil for jobs and remove them when I'm just mowing.

Originally I ordered 2 ft sides, but PJ messed up and I ended up with 1 ft sides, but I decided to keep it anyway. How their QA dept. allowed that to happen is beyond me, but it happens sometimes. I like how the cage doors open from the outside and are hinged in the middle of the cage. I will probably raise the cage another 6 inches. I originally thought that I might need a Gorilla Lift to help with the ramp (extra heavy duty), but the 2 springs that come with the trailer are strong enough to help an old man get the ramp up without undue effort.

BOSS LAWN 2343
03-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Beautiful set up!

lawnguy27
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
How did you get the landscape box in the front without 2 ft sides? On their site it says you need 2 ft sides to get it.

rreyn1812
04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
How did you get the landscape box in the front without 2 ft sides? On their site it says you need 2 ft sides to get it.

Well, I ordered 2 ft sides, but this is the way it came! Obviously, it can be made to fit and the rails came pre-drilled for mounting the cage. The guys at PJ couldn't explain what happened to my dealer.

I found out the cage door hinges have zerk fittings for greasing the hinges too! I like that. Don't know if a dealer could order the cage by itself, but it's a very nice cage and could be fit to just about any trailer.

With 1 ft sides, it only leaves a little less than a foot under the cage, but I'm planning on using that for storage, or I might raise the cage by about 6 inches, but where it's at right now is a very nice height for getting everything in and out.

pitrack
04-20-2012, 02:01 AM
PJ = Pure Junk

Give me a break, I beat the piss out of my PJ dump and it doesn't even phase it.

Nice trailer OP, best of luck. Should hold whatever the hell you wanna put on there!

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-20-2012, 03:51 AM
I've put about 15,000 miles on my PJ single axel from last year when I bought it and this thing has hauled it all. I wont hesitate on buying more as the business grows, IMO these are fantastic trailers.

rreyn1812
04-20-2012, 07:13 AM
I've put about 15,000 miles on my PJ single axel from last year when I bought it and this thing has hauled it all. I wont hesitate on buying more as the business grows, IMO these are fantastic trailers.

So far, so good! It is definitely one solid trailer. No rattles! It really pulls great, and stops great, too! Had a guy stop in front of me yesterday and I had to slam on the breaks and I sure was glad I had brakes on the trailer, or it would have been bad. It pulls really nice, especially with 2 mowers on it. With the 83" width, my 48" deck Bob-Cat can turn completely around on the trailer. :):) Sweet trailer!! :):)

PlantscapeSolutions
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
I pulled 16 yards of top dressing in my PJ dump trailer last week. Who needs a dump truck? Today I'm picking it up from Magnum Trailers with it's new disc brakes installed that ended up being a $3800 upgrade.

BOSS LAWN 2343
04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh ya, only had to replace one tire so far (ran over nail) and replace the lights twice. I hauled two of my zturns (ransomes and johndeere) both 48inches and turned them right around on the trailer.

Shocked it can hold that mych weight with 3 tractors and a wb zturn!

PlantscapeSolutions
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh ya, only had to replace one tire so far (ran over nail) and replace the lights twice. I hauled two of my zturns (ransomes and johndeere) both 48inches and turned them right around on the trailer.

Shocked it can hold that mych weight with 3 tractors and a wb zturn!

You can plug trailer tires you just can't patch most of them because the interior radius of the tire is to curved to allow patch's to adhere. Many years ago I had gone to a Firestone with a trailer tire to get it patched and they said the tire was ruined and couldn't be patched. Now I go to Discount Tire and they will plug a tire up to three times before they warranty it out and just give you a new one.

I don't think I've ever worn out a trailer tire without it getting plugged at least once or twice. I have 22 trailer tires to deal with so it just a matter of which trailer and tire is going to go flat next.

Kenb2920
02-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Bump. Sorry, this thread is buried and I'd like to review it again later.