PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Extended Reach Hedge Trimmers

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Ok, I picked up a new job today and I need to get the extended reach trimmers. Im a stihl guy so dont mention redmax or shindiwa, deff not echo cause Im not interested lol. Im looking at get the HL100 and the HL100K. I see the only difference being one has a loop handle with a longer shaft and the other has no loop handle just has a cushion sport and a shorter shaft. Im thinking I would like the loop handle to hold onto compared to just a grip. Let me get yalls opinion. The 100k also looks a little more beefier and then its the one that has the no loop and just a grip with a shorter shaft. The shaft diameter also looks bigger. Difference in price is 20 bucks. The one with the longer shaft is more.

knox gsl
03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I have the HL100 and its a great tool. If your tall or don't think that you will need the extra length then get the HL100K its a little shorter and lighter and that gearbox gets heavy after an hour or so of trimming.

Mike NY
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
I own both Stihl and Huskies, Stihls are very nice but too heavy to use for any length of time. I will always grab the Huskies if i have an option. Plus the fuel cap on the Sthil is the most frustrating thing invented.(almost threw it down the road a couple of times and I am the one who pays for all the equipment)

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
HAHA. They have improved on the gas caps. I know what you mean. If you didnt have it right and didnt realize it, you did when you ran out of fuel 10 min later. Yeah im 5'08"

Mahoney3223
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
what are they hl100s going for new?

ReddensLawnCare
03-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Make sure it is adjustable. Also, I know u don't like echo, but for leafy, tender plants they ate the way to go. Both cutters rather than one stationary and one moving back and forth. The only problem I had with mine was getting the stupid gaurd of the end. By the way, I own both
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
With Stihl, both cutters move. I was unaware that Echo did that, but most others have one stationary blade. With two moving blades, less things drag on the tips of the blades. It's hard to explain, but it works much better.

The HL100 has a 135 degree adjustable gearbox. The loop handle makes it easier to work with the blades at an angle. I really like my extended reach adjustable angle hedge trimmer (I've got it as a Kombi attachment, but it's the same idea as this), because I can set it at an angle, and reach over the top of tall bushes, and trim them flat.

The HL100K is straight only. No adjustment, so no loop handle.

Lazer_Z
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
With Stihl, both cutters move. I was unaware that Echo did that, but most others have one stationary blade. With two moving blades, less things drag on the tips of the blades. It's hard to explain, but it works much better.

The HL100 has a 135 degree adjustable gearbox. The loop handle makes it easier to work with the blades at an angle. I really like my extended reach adjustable angle hedge trimmer (I've got it as a Kombi attachment, but it's the same idea as this), because I can set it at an angle, and reach over the top of tall bushes, and trim them flat.

The HL100K is straight only. No adjustment, so no loop handle. The HL90 is 0* & HL100K also comes as a 0*.

The HL100 is 0* to 135* & Stihl offers an HL100K like that. the only difference is the length of the shaft on the machine.

Here's a link to Stihl's site http://stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/extendedhedgetrimmer.html

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I would vote for the kombi. I know it wasnt listed but I have a km110 and its great plus with the extension shaft you can reach everything. Then you can have a polesaw extra trimmer,edger a light duty tiller. I plan to add an nother kombi and stay away from dedicated machines all together.

rlitman
03-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I agree, simply because you can add the extension shaft, and have an extra extra long hedge trimmer. This is one place I'd go for the carbon shaft though, because the added weight of the heavier shaft at that much of an extension can be seriously difficult to handle.
But going with the Kombi does add significantly to the cost. Something to consider.

ReddensLawnCare
03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I dont know why my Stihl is different, but I just checked and only one blade moves on it. It is the kombi
Posted via Mobile Device

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna second the carbor shaft spend the extra $ well worth it. The dealer tried to talk me out of the carbon but I'm glad I didnt listen

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-09-2012, 09:52 PM
i paid 489 for it but that's cause my dealer ordered the wrong walker parts and hes working on getting me my money back because its half my problem and half his lol. but they are going for 520. its the shorter shaft, with the loop handle and foam grip on the shaft. they did a real nice job.

Mikegyver
03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I had a loop handle on mine and never used it. I had the adjustable gear box but it was too heavy for the shaft (just heavy period) so I went back to the straight-not adjustable one. I really like the straight one...hardly ever have the need to adjust it. I have mine mounted on a FS130 (ex trimmer) and it really cuts pretty much anything. Like it a lot. Perfectly balanced.
Mike

dgfitz
03-10-2012, 05:05 AM
Just do what I ended up doing, get both of them. I like the 90 short
shaft for regular trimming, and the 100 articulated trimmer for those
tall and WIDE hedges.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Have the KM 90 and wouldn't ever think of a dedicated hedge trimmer only again. It makes a great 8 foot extension trimmer but there are times I need an 11 ft one and it does that just great. Also the pole saw for it made me more then 10 times what it cost me just last year. Add in the paddle wheel for sand in spring and your quickly see why so many swear by the kombi.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Have the KM 90 and wouldn't ever think of a dedicated hedge trimmer only again. It makes a great 8 foot extension trimmer but there are times I need an 11 ft one and it does that just great. Also the pole saw for it made me more then 10 times what it cost me just last year. Add in the paddle wheel for sand in spring and your quickly see why so many swear by the kombi.

The kombisystem is an awesome machine!:weightlifter:

JAX76CJ
03-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I know that you don't wanna hear it, but....... I love Stihl, and All of my gear is Stihl. Except for my Hedge trimmers. I've used them all Stihl, Tanaka, etc. but I've found that the Echo HC-150's are the best. Don't get me wrong, ALL of my gear is Stihl and I SWEAR BY IT. I Hate Echo.... But the Hedge Trimmers are Pimp.

cgaengineer
03-11-2012, 03:33 PM
The kombisystem is an awesome machine!:weightlifter:

I agree...we have several of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I know that you don't wanna hear it, but....... I love Stihl, and All of my gear is Stihl. Except for my Hedge trimmers. I've used them all Stihl, Tanaka, etc. but I've found that the Echo HC-150's are the best. Don't get me wrong, ALL of my gear is Stihl and I SWEAR BY IT. I Hate Echo.... But the Hedge Trimmers are Pimp.

Ive used the echo hedge trimmer and its crap compared to my stihl hs81t

TheChiefsLawnCare
03-11-2012, 04:17 PM
but hey we are all subject to our opinion. you like chevy i like ford lol you like camaro i like mustang lol the list can go on. just one of those things

JAX76CJ
03-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't know where I get ot into my head "Hand-Held Trimmers." But for extended Reach Stihl Kombi.... No Brainer. Sorry about the confusion on my part. BTW I like My Ford Dump for Work, and my Chevy for play. :usflag:

yardguy28
03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
personally I have the articulated hedge trimmer attachment for my stihl kombi motor.

I really like them for the most part. sometimes I wish I had a set of regular hedge trimmers for some of the shorter hedges though.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I have the ECHO PAS with an articulating hedge trimmer and extension. Worth every penny. Cut down a lot of ladder time. Also trimming along the back of a shrub against a building, rotate to 90 degrees and no reaching. AWESOME tool!