PDA

View Full Version : Informing my customers about sales tax

s-lc
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi all,

I am a rookie who is about to start my 2nd season of lawn care and landscaping. When I gave my customers estimates/prices at the start of last season, I did not factor in New York State sales tax (.08125%) If my labor and costs were $35 for the job, that is what I charged and did not add NY sales tax to that price. My accountant made me realize recently when I filed my taxes that my profits were hit hard after sales tax was figured and collected by the state. As I contact my customers at the start of this season, I was thinking about writing a letter saying the following. Please share your thoughts....

Dear Mr.XXXXX,

I hope you had an enjoyable holiday and winter season...While there will be no increase in price for your weekly lawn service, I will now be required to charge the New York State sales tax of .08125% The price of your weekly service will now be $37.85...

***the previous price was 35***

What do you guys think? Thanks!

BigJon
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Sounds fine to me, honest and to the point. No BSing the customer and explains the reason.

yardguy28
03-07-2012, 11:08 PM
personally I think it's crap......

I don't of any that charge sales tax except stores like the grocery and walmart. but I guess if your hell bent on doing it I'd suggest just raising your price and forget telling the client your charging sales tax. kind of like how you don't reveal your hourly rate to clients.

Salcido Lawn
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
That sounds good to me. If they have any questions or concerns, direct them to the NY comptroller's website, where it addresses the subject of taxing landscaping. I have had a few people question me about charging taxes, and I have only had to show one client the Texas comptrollers website, because he didn't believe me.

Salcido Lawn
03-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I charge EVERY client taxes, except those who are tax exempt. I find it much better to be honest any follow the rules (Even if messing with taxes is a PITA!) I have a friend that screwed up on his sales taxe and he got audited by the IRS. The IRS combed through his records for two years!! They went back in his records several years and is cost him hundreds of thousands of $$$!! It bankrupted him! Sales tax will follow you forever, it isn't bankruptable.:wall

nickslawnltd
03-07-2012, 11:32 PM
personally I think it's crap......

I don't of any that charge sales tax except stores like the grocery and walmart. but I guess if your hell bent on doing it I'd suggest just raising your price and forget telling the client your charging sales tax. kind of like how you don't reveal your hourly rate to clients.

You may think its crap but most goods and services are taxable. Why would you be scared to to tell your customer your charging them tax? Do they not purchase goods and services from other businesses that charge it? Same with your hourly rate why would you not disclose it?

MV Property Care
03-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Sounds fine to me, honest and to the point. No BSing the customer and explains the reason.

Perfect, short and honest.

s-lc
03-07-2012, 11:40 PM
You may think its crap but most goods and services are taxable. Why would you be scared to to tell your customer your charging them tax? Do they not purchase goods and services from other businesses that charge it? Same with your hourly rate why would you not disclose it?

this.

thanks for the support nick.

i could just increase all of my prices by about 5 dollars and just state in this years contract..."all taxes included" however the estimates i gave for my current yards are accurate. in this economy, i would like to provide my customers with a clear and concise explanation for the slight increase...

Salcido Lawn
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't just add a few bucks to "cover the sales tax". I would add the tax as a line item on your invoice. That way, if you do extra work, you can charge the appropriate amount of tax. It will also make it easier for you to track, when you go to pay in the taxes.

CircleC
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't know about your state, but I thought it was federal/state law that "Service" related services were excempt from adding sales tax. If you are selling a physical product like; tree's, widgets, or gadgets than sales tax would be added. To my understanding...."Service" related insiders have pounded the state and federal authorites saying it would destroy our industry. To add 6 to 9 percent to an already depressed industry hammered by rising fuel prices would be a travisty!

I would check with state tax commision on taxable items. Your tax accountant my be mis-informed. Just because he can do taxes doesn't mean he knows the proper laws. You may be entitled to a larger refund. Tax code changes by the year and sometimes it feels by the day!

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM

it's not a matter of being scared. it's a matter of it's just not done on lawn services.

at least not seperated out. the $45 price I give to cut a lawn each week it just that $45. on the invoice it reads the date the service was performed and the amount. no sales tax line or any other line.

hourly rate is never revealed unless the client presses for it. to the client if you say your hourly rate is say $35 per hour. to them that's what your actually making. they'll think your prices are too high. they don't consider the expenses and what kind of actual profit that $35 per hour dwindles down to.

nickslawnltd
03-08-2012, 12:16 AM
it's not a matter of being scared. it's a matter of it's just not done on lawn services.

at least not seperated out. the $45 price I give to cut a lawn each week it just that $45. on the invoice it reads the date the service was performed and the amount. no sales tax line or any other line.

hourly rate is never revealed unless the client presses for it. to the client if you say your hourly rate is say $35 per hour. to them that's what your actually making. they'll think your prices are too high. they don't consider the expenses and what kind of actual profit that $35 per hour dwindles down to.

Here in Ontario we charge 13% on almost all goods and services. So in this example if I was charging $45 dollars for a cut that would be on one line and there would be a line showing the tax. I'm just as a legitimate buisness as walmart, best buy extra. The customer doesn't quibble about tax there why should they with me.

As for not disclosing your hourly rate that just seems foolish. We are $40/hr. I tell a customer wether they ask or not so they are fully aware. If they think my rate is to high they will shop around I'm sure but reasonable people have no problem paying a reasonable price for good and fair service. Sure you will always have people that may squak about tax cause some other providers are not charging it or they think my hourly is ridiculous that's fine Im probably better not having to deal with them

Landscape Poet
03-08-2012, 01:54 AM

I do not have sales tax on services here in FL but I know some states do and I am assuming that NY does as I know NJ does. With that said I think the OP would be correct to charge the sales tax on the amount he quoted. He is responsible for tracking and paying this taxes quarterly I would assume so he needs to have a simple way of know what he paid and proving what he paid if he should get audited. If he just has down $35 for the service charge or $40 .....then how would he show that to the auditor that sales tax was charge for what dollar amount. KISS would be the program I followed. Makes it simple for him to understand and track and easy for the auditor to follow what is going on too if he separate them. I would also assume doing so would keep his CPA from pulling there hair out at the end of the year trying to figure out who what when and where.

Dylan's Lawn Care
03-08-2012, 01:57 AM
I asked my accounted the other day about charging tax and he told I dont have to charge tax unless the customer sends me a 1099 forum.

Salcido Lawn
03-08-2012, 02:00 AM
I would check with your state comptroller on that. Texas requires that you charge sales tax the moment you make a dollar over $5,000.00. Regardless is the customer sends a 1099 or not.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpubs/tx94_112.html

Salcido Lawn
03-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Dylan's Lawn Care, here is the law for sales tax in Wisconsin.
http://www.revenue.wi.gov/taxpro/news/101108a.html

newz7151
03-08-2012, 02:30 AM

If you are so positive it is not done on lawn services, why not disclose the state you are in? And while you are at it, why not disclose if you accept checks and credit cards, or just cold hard non-traceable cash?

Also, to the OP, i believe you meant 8.125%, and not .08125%.

JB1
03-08-2012, 08:37 AM
most any and all legitimate businesses will have a seperate line item for sales tax if they have to collect, this is usually the preferred method.

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
If you are so positive it is not done on lawn services, why not disclose the state you are in? And while you are at it, why not disclose if you accept checks and credit cards, or just cold hard non-traceable cash?

Also, to the OP, i believe you meant 8.125%, and not .08125%.

perhaps I should say the city I'm in, not state but since your getting sheoty with me I'll humor you.

I live in IN, fort wayne to be exact and I have yet to come across an LCO who has a seperate line on there invoice for sales tax. it's either included on the price or not charged.

I accept check only, no cash, no credit cards. at the end of the year I turn all my info over to my accountant and he figures my taxes and tells me what to pay and to who.

nickslawnltd
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't know the laws in the states but here you can't include the tax in your price. Again I don't see why any customer would balk at paying it. They can't haggle it with any other legitimate buisness

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't know the laws in the states but here you can't include the tax in your price. Again I don't see why any customer would balk at paying it. They can't haggle it with any other legitimate buisness

well purhaps it's not a law in my state that LCO's have to charge sales tax.

as I said the only time I know we pay sales tax is at the grocery store, walmart, best buy, etc.

if LCO's do account for sales tax it's hidden in the price like all other expenses the price covers.

Roger
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
There is lots of strange ideas in this thread so far. This is a topic that has been discussed numerous times, some in recent months.

First, Sales Taxes are not "charged." These taxes are collected on behalf of the state. After collection, the revenues are remitted to the state.

Second, the Fed has zero to do with Sales Taxes. It is a state-by-state issue. Yes, there has been lots of talk about a national Sales Tax to replace Income Tax, but that is an entirely different discussion, an idea that is not in force now.

Third, the every state sets their own rules regarding Sales Tax. The state agencies determine what products and services are taxed, which ones are exempt. Sometimes it is not so straight forward. For example, in PA, clothes and food are not taxed, but most other goods are taxed. Some lawn services are taxed, such as grass cutting and landscape maintenance are taxed, but landscape installations are not taxed (I think that to be the case -- I don't do installs). What applies in one state, does not apply in another state. Sometimes, different rates apply on a county-by-county basis. In my county, the rate is 6%, but about a mile away in the next county, the rate is 7%.

My point is that anybody in the business needs to get their information directly from the state regarding what applies to them. Blanket statements, and calling the taxes names does not satisfy the requirements that apply to each LCO.

Fourth, beware that some states require the Sales Tax to be a separate line item on an Invoice or Bill of Sale. So, to just roll it up by adding something to the price, without detailing out the specifics may not be right in a particular state. Again, state rules apply, and blanket statements are inappropriate.

Fifth, as far as "giving it all to my accountant at the end of the year" may be an action that is costing you money. Remitting the collected money may be on a monthly, or quarterly basis. I am doubting that it is on an annual basis in any state. To do so, means the money is due, plus penalties and interest (read: costing you money). The license you have from the state to collect the tax in the first place will be explicit on when the tax money is to be remitted to the state coffers. Yes, they will take it at the end of the year, but each month (or quarter) will have a penalty and interest associated with it. Blindly giving it to the accountant and having him/her do the work at the end of the year, calculating the penalty and interest because the money was not remitted at the proper time, is a very costly mistake. If an LCO is so oblivious to the requirements of the state regarding Sales Tax, most likely they have missed their payments of P & I too.

If you are going to be a business person, there are things you have to do beside driving your mower across a lawn to make straight lines. Managing your finances is more important than making the mowing pass a 4 mph, or 6 mph.

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Fifth, as far as "giving it all to my accountant at the end of the year" may be an action that is costing you money. Remitting the collected money may be on a monthly, or quarterly basis. I am doubting that it is on an annual basis in any state. To do so, means the money is due, plus penalties and interest (read: costing you money). The license you have from the state to collect the tax in the first place will be explicit on when the tax money is to be remitted to the state coffers. Yes, they will take it at the end of the year, but each month (or quarter) will have a penalty and interest associated with it. Blindly giving it to the accountant and having him/her do the work at the end of the year, calculating the penalty and interest because the money was not remitted at the proper time, is a very costly mistake. If an LCO is so oblivious to the requirements of the state regarding Sales Tax, most likely they have missed their payments of P & I too.

If you are going to be a business person, there are things you have to do beside driving your mower across a lawn to make straight lines. Managing your finances is more important than making the mowing pass a 4 mph, or 6 mph.

make your points all you want but I resent the comment about being a good person.

I know exactly what I'm doing and the account does as well. I'm perfectly fine waiting until the end of the year to pay my taxes. no penalties.

this accountant isn't just any old accountant. he's a long time friend of the family who's been doing taxes for our family for years. he does my taxes, my dads taxes and my sisters taxes to name a few.

Roger
03-08-2012, 10:41 AM
make your points all you want but I resent the comment about being a good person.

I know exactly what I'm doing and the account does as well. I'm perfectly fine waiting until the end of the year to pay my taxes. no penalties.

this accountant isn't just any old accountant. he's a long time friend of the family who's been doing taxes for our family for years. he does my taxes, my dads taxes and my sisters taxes to name a few.

Good, or not good, ... not part of my post. Either you comply, or you don't -- nothing to do with being good, or not good. When P & I are imposed, you pay or not (with consequences). This is not a negotiated settlement issue.

From the previous posts, I am sure that I am not alone in assessing, " I know exactly what I am doing ...." You have made no references to what your state law requires, only what you consider "crap" and what you wish to do. Your opinion has zero to do with compliance.

nickslawnltd
03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Just for kicks I googled Indiana sales tax and it looks like there is a 7% sales tax there that appears needs to be disclosed if you are doing more than a thousand dollars per year of sales. It also shows that it should be remitted monthly as I'm guessing most states are. Here in Ontario we can do it montly or quarterly. I'm not sure a yearly option exists. Anyways I didntndive super deep in my search as I wasn't all that motivated but it looks like lawn maintenance does fall under those rules. Obviously your going to do what you think is right but that doesnt make it correct

JB1
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Just for kicks I googled Indiana sales tax and it looks like there is a 7% sales tax there that appears needs to be disclosed if you are doing more than a thousand dollars per year of sales. It also shows that it should be remitted monthly as I'm guessing most states are. Here in Ontario we can do it montly or quarterly. I'm not sure a yearly option exists. Anyways I didntndive super deep in my search as I wasn't all that motivated but it looks like lawn maintenance does fall under those rules. Obviously your going to do what you think is right but that doesnt make it correct

YEAH , they get pissy when you don't get it in on time.

nickslawnltd
03-08-2012, 11:34 AM
YEAH , they get pissy when you don't get it in on time.

So your in Indiana and collect them but yard guy does not. That's odd. Maybe fort Wayne has there own rules:confused: or yard guy just doesn't comply:nono:

JB1
03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
So your in Indiana and collect them but yard guy does not. That's odd. Maybe fort Wayne has there own rules:confused: or yard guy just doesn't comply:nono:

you got to know what your doing, no tax on labor, tax on materials and tax on lawn treatments, just takes a little to keep up with, screw up with the state and it could get expensive and not seperating it out on an invoice could really bite you in the butt.

Pietro
03-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Sales tax is great. Write that letter as you have it. Then when you SEE the client in person just let him know you can give him a "discount" if he pays you with that green stuff. Im sure he will go for it.

nickslawnltd
03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
you got to know what your doing, no tax on labor, tax on materials and tax on lawn treatments, just takes a little to keep up with, screw up with the state and it could get expensive and not seperating it out on an invoice could really bite you in the butt.

That does sound like a tricky mess

94gt331
03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Yard guy are you sure your not missing something in this thread. Sales Tax is to be filled at the end of each filling quarter. Sales Tax is a percentage of your service charged after your labor. You should have a seperated line on your invoice for your sales tax. And that is suppose to get sent to the state every quarter. And then you also get taxed on your profits at the end of the year like you say thats federal. This thread posted is a good post asked because he wants to be LEGITIMATE. He's following the state tax code which alot of LCO's don't. I'm not trying to be rude but you sounded rude in your first response to a very important question. Heck maybe your state doesn't even charge sales tax. Some states don't. Thes states that do charge sales tax on lawncare are just trying to make revenue from it. Beleive me I hate charging my customers sales tax but we have to.:usflag:

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Yard guy are you sure your not missing something in this thread. Sales Tax is to be filled at the end of each filling quarter. Sales Tax is a percentage of your service charged after your labor. You should have a seperated line on your invoice for your sales tax. And that is suppose to get sent to the state every quarter. And then you also get taxed on your profits at the end of the year like you say thats federal. This thread posted is a good post asked because he wants to be LEGITIMATE. He's following the state tax code which alot of LCO's don't. I'm not trying to be rude but you sounded rude in your first response to a very important question. Heck maybe your state doesn't even charge sales tax. Some states don't. Thes states that do charge sales tax on lawncare are just trying to make revenue from it. Beleive me I hate charging my customers sales tax but we have to.:usflag:

to be fair to all I rely solely on my dad (he ran his own business), my friends in the business and my accountant so maybe I am missing something.

jb1 says no tax on labor. labor is all I have. I don't do fert so no lawn treatments and I don't do landscaping so no materials.

guess I'm doing the right thing after all.

I don't think my accountant would just have me pay taxes once a year and penalties. he's recommended I pay them quarterly to make things easier but said it wasn't necessary.

v6rs97
03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
What county are u in? Its 8.625 here

s-lc
03-08-2012, 06:55 PM
What county are u in? Its 8.625 here

im in orange county, ny...about an hour north of nyc...8.125%

94gt331
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
This is too funny! Some people just don't get it.

MOW ED
03-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Wisconsin requires sales tax on most lawn care activities. I have charged tax from the start. When I quote a job its for example $35.00 plus tax. When people ask why the tax I direct them to the state website with the explanation. I also have it printed for the older people who aren't computer savvy.
I have had no issues charging tax.

Check out Wisconsins site:
http://www.dor.state.wi.us/pubs/pb210.pdf

yardguy28
03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
well I've honestly NEVER heard of LCO's charging sales tax in my neck of the woods. you would think being in the business 6 years now (I know that's not all that long) I'd of heard it somewhere by now.

Roger
03-08-2012, 11:13 PM
yardguy, I've been doing this for 16 years, and I have never heard of an LCO collecting a Sales tax in my area either, even though it is part of doing business. In my discussions with fellow LCOs, discussions of collecting Sales Tax is never part of the conversation. There is no reason to hear of it because it is simply part of doing business.

Nobody ever discusses financial management. There is good reason for you to never hear of it either.

yardguy28
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
yardguy, I've been doing this for 16 years, and I have never heard of an LCO collecting a Sales tax in my area either, even though it is part of doing business. In my discussions with fellow LCOs, discussions of collecting Sales Tax is never part of the conversation. There is no reason to hear of it because it is simply part of doing business.

Nobody ever discusses financial management. There is good reason for you to never hear of it either.

but see in my case I do discuss financial management with at least one of my friends in the business. right down to our cost of doing business all the way up to what we gross each year and anything in between.

more importantly though I have these discussions with my accountant. never once has it been suggested I charge sales tax and have it on a seperate line on my invoices.

also I get invoices from my buddy because he fertilizes some of my clients lawns and I invoice the client for it and pay him myself. same invoice he would send to the client. one total per date and no sales tax at the bottom.

he's been in business twice as long if not longer than me and has 6+ employees. I would think he knows what my state requires.

JB1
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
but see in my case I do discuss financial management with at least one of my friends in the business. right down to our cost of doing business all the way up to what we gross each year and anything in between.

more importantly though I have these discussions with my accountant. never once has it been suggested I charge sales tax and have it on a seperate line on my invoices.

also I get invoices from my buddy because he fertilizes some of my clients lawns and I invoice the client for it and pay him myself. same invoice he would send to the client. one total per date and no sales tax at the bottom.

he's been in business twice as long if not longer than me and has 6+ employees. I would think he knows what my state requires.

sounds like he doesn't have a clue either, read this and then you will know, I kow its long but it explains it very well.

As we prepare for another and hopefully successful season, I want to revisit an issue which comes up every year--that is the collection of Indiana Sales Tax on the sale of lawn and/or tree care treatments. The Indiana Department of Revenue has consistently enforced the law--that sales tax is to apply to the gross income received from each lawn care application. The same holds true for tree and shrub applications.

Let me be clear on this as, after many years of enforcement, there still seems to be considerable question about when you are required to collect sales tax and when you are not. In the case of lawn care and tree care applications, you definitely are required to do so and on the entire amount of the sale.

Such applications are considered to be unitary transactions; meaning that they are the sale or purchase of a tangible good or service under a single agreement for which a total combined charge is calculated. Virtually every lawn care company I know sells services “by the application” and charges a single price for both product and labor to apply it. Under Indiana law, this means that you must collect 7% of the total price charged for Indiana Sales Tax.

At the same time, most lawn care operators do not pay sales tax when they purchase chemicals or fertilizers. When those products are then sold as a part of the entire treatment, sales tax is to be charged to the customer.

Sales tax does not need to be charged when the service consists of labor only--such as mowing or core aeration.

Each season I hear of more than one of our members who make the mistake of not including sales tax on the total amount for their application sales. After an audit by the Department of Revenue reveals this, they face paying the tax, which they failed to collect, as well as any penalties involved.

94gt331
03-09-2012, 11:59 AM
well I've honestly NEVER heard of LCO's charging sales tax in my neck of the woods. you would think being in the business 6 years now (I know that's not all that long) I'd of heard it somewhere by now.

Yardguy i know how your thinking. I was thinking the same way 3 years ago. But then a company that I serviced got audited and on one of my invoices to them didn't have sales tax on it. Therefore i got audited and found out that you have to charge sales tax. And trust me wheather you actually charged the customer sales tax or not. The government will re audit you and take those taxs of your bottom line profit whaether you charged it or not. I really don't care if you don't do it or not. Im just trying to help you realize that if they do catch on to you not charging it,It's gonna hurt. After years of not charging it it's gonna be alot of taxes. Do yourself a favor go to the state tax website and look it up and see 4 yourself. That will be the real truth in black and white for you to see. As far as your other friends not charging sales tax either. They just don't realize they have to do it either. As well as some of my friends around here. Alot of guys don't do it here either. The thing about guys in lawncare is where not really educated in business and taxs so we don't do things correctly all the time. Good luck and hope you have a good season this year.:usflag:

yardguy28
03-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Yardguy i know how your thinking. I was thinking the same way 3 years ago. But then a company that I serviced got audited and on one of my invoices to them didn't have sales tax on it. Therefore i got audited and found out that you have to charge sales tax. And trust me wheather you actually charged the customer sales tax or not. The government will re audit you and take those taxs of your bottom line profit whaether you charged it or not. I really don't care if you don't do it or not. Im just trying to help you realize that if they do catch on to you not charging it,It's gonna hurt. After years of not charging it it's gonna be alot of taxes. Do yourself a favor go to the state tax website and look it up and see 4 yourself. That will be the real truth in black and white for you to see. As far as your other friends not charging sales tax either. They just don't realize they have to do it either. As well as some of my friends around here. Alot of guys don't do it here either. The thing about guys in lawncare is where not really educated in business and taxs so we don't do things correctly all the time. Good luck and hope you have a good season this year.:usflag:

looked it up myself and jb1 was/is correct.

in the state of IN you only are required by law to charge sales tax IF you sell goods or tangible personal propery.

that doesn't apply to me. I only sell labor.