PDA

View Full Version : Stihl SG20 backpack sprayer?

MGLawnCare1
03-08-2012, 12:52 AM
For whoever has a SG20, if you do not mind would let me know how you like it? I am thinking about buying one.

Ray_Lawns
03-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Love it on all accounts. It's comfortable to wear, holds four gallons and builds up some insane pressure.

Pro-turf lawn
03-08-2012, 01:12 AM
I've never had any trouble out of mine works great and does not leak like others

Florida Gardener
03-08-2012, 01:47 AM
IMO all the major brands are good products. I own 2 redmax that have been great. I've used echo which are good and I've heard people say shindys are great.
Posted via Mobile Device

MGLawnCare1
03-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate. Looks like I am going to get me one.

MGLawnCare1
03-08-2012, 02:31 AM
I've never had any trouble out of mine works great and does not leak like others

Well you answered my question I ask you in the other forum. Also because I ask I guess I should have looked at your signature. ha

JD997
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I just bought one last week, $129.95, I am using it for round-up spraying. I like the set-up and the heavyduty construction, however the seals around the tube and the plunger on the handle are leaking, I tried tightening and this did not work, am taking this section back to he dealer today to get his idea of were to go.

Patriot Services
03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I just bought one last week, $129.95, I am using it for round-up spraying. I like the set-up and the heavyduty construction, however the seals around the tube and the plunger on the handle are leaking, I tried tightening and this did not work, am taking this section back to he dealer today to get his idea of were to go.

You just bought it last week? I would take the whole thing back and get a replacement.:usflag:

stephen424
03-08-2012, 12:28 PM
i own 3 of them. i prefer the stihls over any brand.

however, i just bought an Earthway S25 walk behind sprayer. This thing is really cool. It holds 6 gallons of liquid. You push it just like a spreader and it sprays up to 5ft wide.

http://www.earthway.com/product/sprayer/

it has cut my spraying time down by 15 minutes at least. especially when trying to kill weeds in an entire lawn

ArTurf
03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
For whoever has a SG20, if you do not mind would let me know how you like it? I am thinking about buying one.

What will you be spraying out of this backpack.

castlerockmo
03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
I have 3. They are not the most comfortable when its full the pads ate to thin. One of them I had the plunger stick I had yo take it apart n fix it. A couple of them the hoses came loose and leak, so you have to watch that. Other than that I like them.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
i just bought one about a month ago. so far i love it. just dont' fill it up over 4 1/2 gallons. the first time i filled it up to 5 gallons and there's a little breather hole on top of the lid and some leaked out of there and got onto my back a little bit. :laugh:

MGLawnCare1
03-08-2012, 08:44 PM
What will you be spraying out of this backpack.

Mostly weed killer.

Mikegyver
03-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I just bought a shindawia and like it. Be careful with the wand....set it down wrong and it will get whatever is in the tank all over you!
Mike

ArTurf
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Mostly weed killer.

Just an educated guess but are you trained and licensed for weed control? Even applying glyphosate (roundup) is weed control. I am not trying to be the lawn police but if you are not then I have probably been down the same road as you. It is in the best interest of yourself to be properly trained & licensed for such work if you are currently not. If you aren't I would refrain from doing such work.

scotts lawn care
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Has anyone compared the stihl to other brands? Im thinking of getting a stihl since j.d. dealers are offering them now. Thanks

GREENITUP
07-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I'll give you my first hand opinion in the Stihl..... some things are good (capacity, preasure, ans the spray tip)..... but some things could have been better. I have three of them... as well as a few solo's and other brands and can tell you that the hose Stihl uses will crack after 2 years. There is a place where it comes out of the main tank that bends when you sit it down (unavoidable) and will go there first. Second gripe has been that one of the spray wands had a seam that ran the entire length of the wand and would leak when it got a lot of pressure. The other's have not had that problem - but you should replace that black hose with some of that clear / mesh looking hose you can purchase by the foot at Lowes. One last gripe - today the brass looking piston tube that builds the pressure as you pump busted.... I took it off and a ball bearing fell out. Not sure if I'm gonna replace the piston tube or get another brand sprayer. Just my $.02. Good luck.

THG
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I have one the Stihl back pack sprayers and it the most uncomfortable sprayer I have ever owned. It's well built but the Solo's are much more comfortable.

Landscape Poet
07-02-2012, 11:37 PM

I own two currently. I had one that did exactly that and took it back to the dealer and got it replaced. I use marker dye in my RU sprayer so I know that I have hit everything in the bed, you can imagine how pissed I was when that seal allowed it to leak down my back and I was blue like a smurf.

Other than that I still own them and love how they maintain great pressure with little ease. I enjoy them much better than solo, chapin and other backpacks that I have tried so far so I do not think I will be going away from them anytime soon.

I will say I bought them because I thought it was stihl and it would always have parts available if needed. The parts are available...no issue there, but for example my wand fell off the trailer and drug for several blocks before I caught it and the handle and hose was broken along with the seal around the container which hold the continual pressure. The sum for these parts if ordered = $92 and some change if I remember correctly...at that point I just purchased another backpack sprayer new.

Landscape Poet
07-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I'll give you my first hand opinion in the Stihl..... some things are good (capacity, preasure, ans the spray tip)..... but some things could have been better. I have three of them... as well as a few solo's and other brands and can tell you that the hose Stihl uses will crack after 2 years. There is a place where it comes out of the main tank that bends when you sit it down (unavoidable) and will go there first. Second gripe has been that one of the spray wands had a seam that ran the entire length of the wand and would leak when it got a lot of pressure. The other's have not had that problem - but you should replace that black hose with some of that clear / mesh looking hose you can purchase by the foot at Lowes. One last gripe - today the brass looking piston tube that builds the pressure as you pump busted.... I took it off and a ball bearing fell out. Not sure if I'm gonna replace the piston tube or get another brand sprayer. Just my $.02. Good luck.

When you find out how much that piston tube cost I bet you will be just buying a new one if my past results are any indication.